Jan. 21st, 1956
Wareham, Massachusetts, USA
Geena Davis' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2009 - Accidents Happen
2002 - Stuart Little 2
1999 - Stuart Little
1996 - The Long Kiss Goodnight
1995 - Cutthroat Island
1994 - Speechless
1992 - A League of Their Own
1991 - Thelma & Louise
1990 - Quick Change
1988 - The Accidental Tourist
1988 - Earth Girls Are Easy
1986 - The Fly
1985 - Fletch
1985 - Transylvania 6-5000
1982 - Tootsie
Guest TV Roles
Dr. Melba Bozinsky
As a child, Geena dreamed of being an actress. While in high school, she felt left out and had low self-esteem because, at 6 feet, she was the tallest girl in school. After high school, Geena entered New England College in New Hampshire and then transferred the next year to Boston University, where she majored in drama. In 1979, she graduated and moved to New York to start her career. Her career consisted of sales clerk and waitress. She worked at Ann Taylor, where she eventually rose to Saturday window mannequin while trying to get a job with a modeling agency.
Eventually signed by the Zoli Agency at the advanced age of 23, she wound up as a model in the Victoria Secret's Catalogue. Ever vigilant, 'Sydney Pollack' was looking for new talent in the catalogue when he spotted Geena and cast her in Tootsie (1982). With good reviews, Geena moved to Los Angeles where she was cast as Wendy in the short-lived but critically acclaimed television series Buffalo Bill (1983).
Her next appearance on television was in her own show Sara (1985), which was also good, but soon canceled. She then returned to the big screen in the below-average _Transylvania 6-5000 (1985) followed by the successful 'Chevy Chase' movie Fletch (1985). From there on, she was on a roll with future husband Jeff Goldblum in the horror remake of The Fly (1986). More successful were Tim Burton (I)'s dark comedy Beetle Juice (1988) and The Accidental Tourist (1988). For the last film, she was the surprise winner of the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress. More fun movies followed with the flying-saucer-in-the-pool Earth Girls Are Easy (1988) and everyone-loves-a-clown Quick Change (1990) with Bill Murray (I). The very successful Thelma & Louise (1991), directed by Ridley Scott, again garnered nominations for the Academy Award and Golden Globe. A League of Their Own (1992), with Tom Hanks and directed by Penny Marshall (I), was the turning point as her next film, Hero (1992/I), was only average.
Then she married director 'Renny Harlin' and they set up a production and development company called "The Forge." Their first film was Speechless (1994), which flopped at the box office. Undeterred, Renny decided to film the big-budget Cutthroat Island (1995), starring pirate Geena, which also flopped. Geena has since starred in the thriller, _The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996) and played Eleanor Little in Stuart Little (1999) and _Stuart Little 2 (2002). In 2008, after being missed from the big screen for some years, she ventured to Sydney, Australia, playing the foul-mouthed mom of Harry Cook (II) and Harrison Gilbertson to shoot the dark comedy _Accidents Happen (2009).
- Auditioned five times for 'Randal Kleiser' (qv) for the role of Emmeline in _The Blue Lagoon (1980)_ (qv), a role that ultimately went to 'Brooke Shields' (qv).
- Her second husband, actor 'Jeff Goldblum' (qv), says that he and Geena have remained good friends in the years since their divorce.
- Turned down the role that went to 'Kelly McGillis' (qv) in _The Accused (1988)_ (qv).
- She speaks Swedish, and attended school in Sweden as an exchange student.
- Auditioned for the role of Sarah Connor in _The Terminator (1984)_ (qv) but lost out to 'Linda Hamilton (I)' (qv).
- (1995) Chosen by Empire magazine as one of the 100 Sexiest Stars in film history (#31).
- Measurements: 34-25-35 (on her Zoli modeling card; ideal for her start as an underwear model) (Source: Celebrity Sleuth magazine)
- Said that her _Accidents Happen (2009)_ (qv) co-stars and on-screen sons 'Harry Cook (II)' (qv) and 'Harrison Gilbertson' (qv) looked very much like her two twin boys in real life and felt a great friendship and connection to the both of them.