Mar. 17th, 1955
Blue Island, Illinois, USA
Gary Sinise's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2006 - Open Season
2004 - The Forgotten
2004 - The Big Bounce
2003 - The Human Stain
2002 - A Gentleman's Game
2000 - Mission to Mars
2000 - Reindeer Games
1999 - The Green Mile
1999 - Being John Malkovich
1998 - Snake Eyes
1996 - Ransom
1995 - Apollo 13
1995 - The Quick and the Dead
1994 - Forrest Gump
1993 - Jack the Bear
1992 - Of Mice and Men
1992 - A Midnight Clear
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Narrator (Voiced)
Lord Tony Rutherford
Himself (segment "Role of a Lifetime")
Gary Sinise was born in Blue Island, Illinois. His family later moved to Highland Park, where he attended high school. He was something of a rebel, playing in bands but paying little attention to school. Gary and some friends tried out for "West Side Story" as a lark, but Gary was hooked on acting for life by closing night. Gary credits his love for theatre to his drama teacher, Barbara Patterson. In 1974, Gary, Terry Kinney, and Jeff Perry (I) founded the Steppenwolf Theatre Company in Chicago. Initially performing in a church basement, the company grew and gained stature in the Chicago area. In addition to acting in many plays, Gary also directed some of Steppenwolf's most notable productions, including Sam Shepard's "True West". The company made its off-Broadway debut with that production, starring Gary and 'John Malkovich' and its Broadway debut with "The Grapes of Wrath" at the Cort Theatre in 1990.. Gary's Hollywood career also started in the director's chair with two episodes of the stylish TV series "Crime Story" (1986) followed in 1988 by the feature Miles from Home (1988) starring Richard Gere. Gary's first feature film as an actor was the World War II fable A Midnight Clear (1992) in 1992. That year also found Gary combining his acting and directing talents with the critically acclaimed Of Mice and Men (1992). His first real notice by the public came in 1994, however. He starred in the blockbuster miniseries "The Stand" (1994), rapidly followed by his bravura performance as Lt. Dan in Forrest Gump (1994). His portrayal of the disabled, emotionally tortured veteran earned Gary numerous awards and an Oscar nomination. Busy 1994 was followed by busy 1995, first reuniting with Tom Hanks in Apollo 13 (1995) and then starring in the HBO film Truman (1995) (TV) which earned him the Golden Globe and Screen Actors Guild Awards and an Emmy nomination. Gary is married to Moira Harris, an actress and original member of the Steppenwolf company. They have three children, Sophie, McCanna, and Ella. Gary's father is the film editor Robert L. Sinise, A.C.E.
- Received his first college degree in 2003 - an honorary degree from Amherst College.
- Children: Sophie Ana Sinise (b. 1988), McCanna Anthony Sinise (b. 1990), Ella Jane Sinise (b. 1992).
- 'Kimo Williams' (qv) first worked with Gary as composer for a Steppenwolf production of "Streetcar Named Desire". After learning of Gary's talents on the bass, Kimo encouraged him to do more playing and, over the years, they enjoyed the occasional jam session. As Gary began what has turned out to be an extraordinary commitment to the USO, these jams eventually led to gigs in the Chicago area, gathering local talent and performing for troops and their families.
- Formed the "Lt. Dan Band", a band consisting of several singers, guitarists, drummers and keyboardists. The band has a total of 12 members. Sinise plays bass guitar. The name is, of course, in homage to his character in _Forrest Gump (1994)_ (qv), Lt. Dan".
- Gary appeared on screen with his spouse, 'Moira Harris' (qv), in _"Crime Story" (1986)_ (qv), portraying a married couple. Moira had a small role in _Miles from Home (1988)_ (qv), the first feature Gary directed, but Moira's role was left on the cutting-room floor. Moira appeared as the "Girl in the Red Dress" in _Of Mice and Men (1992)_ (qv).
- Shares a birthday with 'Rob Lowe (I)' (qv), with whom he co-starred in _"The Stand" (1994)_ (qv).
- While most of the _"CSI: NY" (2004)_ (qv) cast is from New York, Sinise is one of three exceptions. The others are 'Melina Kanakaredes' (qv) (who was born in Ohio) and 'Anna Belknap' (qv) (who was born in Maine). However, Sinise, Belknap and Kanakaredes have all lived in NY at some point in time.
- Son of 'Robert L. Sinise' (qv).