Oct. 29th, 1972
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
5' 7 1/2"
Gabrielle Union's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - Top Five
2014 - Think Like a Man Too
2012 - Think Like A Man
2012 - In Our Nature
2008 - Cadillac Records
2008 - Meet Dave
2007 - The Perfect Holiday
2007 - The Box
2006 - Running with Scissors
2005 - The Honeymooners
2005 - Constellation
2003 - Cradle 2 the Grave
2003 - Bad Boys II
2003 - Deliver Us from Eva
2002 - Welcome to Collinwood
2002 - Abandon
2001 - The Brothers
2001 - Two Can Play That Game
2000 - Bring It On
1999 - 10 Things I Hate About You
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Gabrielle Union was born on October 29, 1972, in Omaha, Nebraska. However, at the age of 8, her family moved to Pleasanton, California, where she grew up and attended high school. In high school, Union was an all-star point guard and a year-round athlete participating in soccer, basketball, and track.
After high school, Gabrielle attended college at University of Nebraska, where she played on the soccer team; and then later transferred to Cuesta College. Eventually, she ended up at UCLA. On her way to law school, just planning on being a working stiff, things started to happen during her senior year. Gabrielle had a college internship at a L.A. modeling agency, she thought it would be an easy way to pick up some extra credits. Little did she know that clients were eying the help. Upon the completion of the internship, she was asked to become a client with the agency. Gabby thought of it as a great way to pay off a stack of college loans, and modeled until her agent found that she could actually act. Her first audition/job was landed without any headshots, on "Saved by the Bell" (1989). Since then, she has went on to have many small but substantial film roles and has guest-starred on several hit TV shows, all before landing the role of "Dr. Courtney Ellis", on CBS' short-lived medical drama "City of Angels" (2000).
Although she plays parts that are opinionated and strong, Gabrielle believes that, "Hollywood needs to recognize all shades of African-American beauty". Gabrielle is a graduate of UCLA with honors, in sociology.
- Fluent in Spanish.
- Praised by 'Oprah Winfrey' (qv) for being an activist for women. Passionate public speaker on the topic of violence against women after surviving a rape at gunpoint at the age of nineteen.
- She ranked #81 in Stuff's "103 Sexiest Women" (2003).
- Is of African American, East Indian, Irish, English, and American Indian (Choctaw and Seminole) heritage.
- Was on the debut cover of Savoy Magazine.
- Transferred to UCLA after a stint playing for the women's soccer team at the University of Nebraska.
- Wanted to be a lawyer.
- Didn't want to do acting but did it to pay off her university debts and found that she enjoyed it.