Oct. 29th, 1972
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
5' 7 1/2"
Gabrielle Union's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Gabrielle Union was born on October 29, 1972, in Omaha, Nebraska. However, at the age of 8, her family moved to Pleasanton, California, where she grew up and attended high school. In high school, Union was an all-star point guard and a year-round athlete participating in soccer, basketball, and track.
After high school, Gabrielle attended college at University of Nebraska, where she played on the soccer team; and then later transferred to Cuesta College. Eventually, she ended up at UCLA. On her way to law school, just planning on being a working stiff, things started to happen during her senior year. Gabrielle had a college internship at a L.A. modeling agency, she thought it would be an easy way to pick up some extra credits. Little did she know that clients were eying the help. Upon the completion of the internship, she was asked to become a client with the agency. Gabby thought of it as a great way to pay off a stack of college loans, and modeled until her agent found that she could actually act. Her first audition/job was landed without any headshots, on "Saved by the Bell" (1989). Since then, she has went on to have many small but substantial film roles and has guest-starred on several hit TV shows, all before landing the role of "Dr. Courtney Ellis", on CBS' short-lived medical drama "City of Angels" (2000).
Although she plays parts that are opinionated and strong, Gabrielle believes that, "Hollywood needs to recognize all shades of African-American beauty". Gabrielle is a graduate of UCLA with honors, in sociology.
- Is a big fan of the music group New Edition.
- Was on the debut cover of Savoy Magazine.
- She ranked #81 in Stuff's "103 Sexiest Women" (2003).
- Has been in two adaptations of "The Taming of the Shrew": _10 Things I Hate About You (1999)_ (qv) and _Deliver Us from Eva (2003)_ (qv).
- Graduated with honors from UCLA.
- Transferred to UCLA after a stint playing for the women's soccer team at the University of Nebraska.
- Didn't want to do acting but did it to pay off her university debts and found that she enjoyed it.
- Has a degree in sociology.