Jan. 22nd, 1972
The Bronx, New York, USA
Gabriel Macht's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Gabriel S. Macht (born January 22, 1972) is an American actor. Macht is known for playing The Spirit in the film of the same name, and most recently for his role as Harvey Specter on the USA Network series Suits. Macht was born in The Bronx, New York, the son of Suzanne Victoria Pulier, a museum curator and archivist, and actor Stephen Macht. He has three siblings, Jesse, a musician (who appeared on The Next Great American Band), Ari Serbin, and Julie. His parents are both Jewish. Macht was raised in California from the age of five. Following high school, he attended Carnegie Mellon College of Fine Arts, graduating in 1994. During his time at Carnegie Mellon, he was a member of the Delta Upsilon fraternity.
Macht was nominated for the Best Young Motion Picture Actor Award after playing his first role at age eight in the film Why Would I Lie? under the stage name Gabriel Swann. He has appeared in many film and television roles including A Love Song for Bobby Long, Because I Said So, The Recruit, and Archangel. For the 2001 film Behind Enemy Lines, Macht spent a week at sea filming on the flight deck, corridors, and hangar bay #3 of the USS Carl Vinson. Macht played the title role in Frank Miller's 2008 adaptation of Will Eisner's comic creation The Spirit. Although the film was a failure upon theatrical release, the film and Macht himself both gained a cult following.
In July 2010, it was announced that Macht had signed on to star in the new USA network drama Suits, which was originally known under the working title A Legal Mind. The show has been a success for Gabriel having been renewed for a second and third season each year; with the third season currently airing as of summer 2013. Because of the success of the show Macht has been added as a co-executive producer for the show along with his co-star Patrick J. Adams.
Macht married Australian-born actress 'Jacinda Barrett' in 2004. The couple had their first child, a girl, Satine Anais Geraldine Macht (b. August 20, 2007) in Los Angeles. He has been a friend of his Suits co-star Sarah Rafferty for almost 20 years, and during the filming of the show in Toronto, they shared a house. Macht is a vegetarian and practices green living.
- Credits 'John Travolta' (qv) as an "invaluable" teacher about how to act and how to be on a film set.
- Graduated Beverly Hills High School in 1990, where he was active in the school's performing arts department.
- Trained at the Carnegie Mellon School of Drama.
- Appeared in the cast of the 1989 production of "The Music Man" at Beverly Hills High School. Other cast members included 'Monica Lewinsky' (qv).
- Was considered for the role of Chase on _"24" (2001)_ (qv) which eventually went to 'James Badge Dale' (qv).
- He remains active in theater via his association with the Mad Dog Theater Company in New York, which produced the play To Whom It May Concern at the Belgrade International Theatre Festival, September 1997.
- He appeared off-Broadway as Elvis Presley (aka "The Visitor") in comedian 'Steve Martin (I)' (qv)'s 1995 production of Picasso at the Lapin Agile.
- Son of 'Stephen Macht' (qv).