Mar. 8th, 1976
Los Angeles, California, USA
Freddie Prinze Jr.'s Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Freddie James Prinze, Jr. (born March 8, 1976) is an American actor.
Prinze rose to fame during the late 1990s and early 2000s, after starring in several Hollywood films aimed at teenage audiences, I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997) and its sequel, I Still Know What You Did Last Summer (1998), as well as She's All That (1999), Summer Catch (2001), Scooby-Doo (2002) Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed (2004) and Delgo (2008). Prinze has also had acting roles in television shows, including Friends, Freddie and 24. He currently works for WWE as a producer and director.
Born in Los Angeles, California. He is the only child of Kathy Elaine Cochran (née Barber), a real estate agent, and 'Freddie Prinze', an actor and comedian who committed suicide in 1977, a year after he was born. Prinze's father was of Puerto Rican and Hungarian descent, while his mother is of English, Irish and Native American ancestry.
Prinze grew up in Albuquerque, New Mexico. He was raised Roman Catholic, and embraces his Puerto Rican heritage. He speaks Spanish. He showed an interest in acting from an early age. After graduating in 1994, Prinze moved to Los Angeles to audition for television roles.
Prinze immediately garnered featured roles on several episodic series, one of which was an episode of Family Matters (1989) The Gun, in which Freddie had a four-line part playing a punk kid who brought a gun to school. "That was my big break, and I thought it was huge", says Freddie. He then went on to appear in a few after-school specials, including ABC Afterschool Specials (1972), Too Soon for Jeff and Detention: The Siege at Johnson High (1997) co-starring 'Rick Schroder' and 'Henry Winkler'.
Prinze was involved in a long-term relationship with entertainer 'Kimberly McCullough' for several years prior to marrying his wife, actress 'Sarah Michelle Gellar'. Prinze married Gellar (September 1, 2002), in Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, in western Mexico. The couple met several years before, while filming I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997), started dating in 2000 and were engaged in April 2001. In 2007, for their fifth year of marriage, Gellar legally changed her name to Sarah Michelle Prinze. The couple have two children, a daughter named Charlotte Grace Prinze, (b. September 19, 2009), and a son, Rocky James Prinze, (b. September 19, 2012).
- In March 2006, he ran his first marathon (The Los Angeles Marathon XXI) with a 05:50:49 finishing time using the name "Freddie James".
- His father committed suicide when Freddie was 10 months old. He was raised by his mother and grandmother.
- Collects comic books.
- As a fan of pop culture, he initially turned down 'Raja Gosnell' (qv)'s offer to star with real life love 'Sarah Michelle Gellar' (qv) in _Scooby-Doo (2002)_ (qv) because he felt it would not be respecting the original series, but Sarah talked him into it.
- (April 17, 2001) Publicly announced that he and 'Sarah Michelle Gellar' (qv) are engaged.
- 'Lindsay Sloane (I)' (qv) was maid of honor at his wedding to 'Sarah Michelle Gellar' (qv)
- Enjoys martial arts.
- His godfather is martial arts legend 'Robert Wall (I)' (qv).