Sep. 30th, 1957
Kew Gardens Hills, Queens, New York, USA
Fran Drescher's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2015 - Hotel Transylvania 2
2013 - Brave Miss World
2012 - Hotel Transylvania
2006 - Shark Bait
2005 - Santa's Slay
2000 - Picking Up the Pieces
1996 - Jack
1994 - Car 54, Where Are You?
1990 - Cadillac Man
1989 - UHF
1989 - The Big Picture
1984 - This Is Spinal Tap
1983 - Doctor Detroit
1981 - Ragtime
1980 - Gorp
1980 - The Hollywood Knights
1978 - American Hot Wax
1977 - Saturday Night Fever
Guest TV Roles
Herself - Guest
Female Golem (Voiced)
Francine Joy Drescher (born September 30, 1957) is an American film and television actress, comedian, producer, and activist. She is best known for her role as Fran Fine in the hit TV series The Nanny, and for her nasal voice and thick New York accent.
Born in Kew Gardens Hills, Queens, New York, the daughter of Sylvia, a bridal consultant, and Morty Drescher, a naval systems analyst. Her Ashkenazi Jewish family is of South-East and Central European origin. Her great-grandmother was born in Focșani, Romania, and had emigrated to the United States. She has an older sister, Nadine.
Drescher was a first runner-up for "Miss New York Teenager" in 1973, as revealed in her first autobiography Enter Whining released December 29, 1995, and on her interview on William Shatner's Raw Nerve, which first aired on January 27, 2009. She attended Hillcrest High School in Jamaica, Queens, where she met her future husband, Peter Marc Jacobson, whom she married in 1978, at age 21. They divorced (1999). Jacobson was Drescher's constant supporter in her show-business career, and he wrote, directed and produced her signature television series, The Nanny. Drescher graduated from Hillcrest High School in 1975; one of her classmates was comedian Ray Romano. Drescher's character Fran Fine on The Nanny and Romano's character Ray Barone on Everybody Loves Raymond met at a 20th high school reunion.
Drescher's first break was in the unforgettable movie, Saturday Night Fever (1977) with 'John Travolta'. She continued to play small roles in movies, until she came up with the idea for The Nanny (1993). She was visiting a friend in England and came up with the plot line. The Nanny became an instant success, and so did Derscher. Since then, she has been in films such as The Beautician and the Beast (1997) (which she also produced) and Picking Up the Pieces (2000) co-starring 'Woody Allen'.
She is a cancer survivor and an inspiration to women everywhere.
- Her father, 'Mort Drescher' (qv), has appeared on _"The Nanny" (1993)_ (qv) on more than one occasion.
- Owns a chocolate Pomeranian named Esther Drescher, who often appears on _"Living with Fran" (2005)_ (qv) as Esther the dog.
- Graduated from CUNY Queens College in Flushing, New York.
- 'Adeline Drescher' (qv)'s cousin.
- Was first runner up for "Miss New York Teenager" in 1973. In order to get an agent, she lied when calling up talent agencies and said she was the winner. It worked and an agent was found.
- Is a rape survivor. She along with her then-husband, 'Peter Marc Jacobson' (qv), and a friend were attacked in her home during a home invasion many years ago.
- Was told that she'd never make it in this business unless she lost her thick New York accent.
- Measurements: 34B-24-34 1/2 (Source: Celebrity Sleuth magazine)