Sep. 30th, 1957
Kew Gardens Hills, Queens, New York, USA
Fran Drescher's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2013 - Brave Miss World
2012 - Hotel Transylvania
2006 - Shark Bait
2000 - Picking Up the Pieces
1996 - Jack
1994 - Car 54, Where Are You?
1990 - Cadillac Man
1989 - The Big Picture
1989 - UHF
1984 - This Is Spinal Tap
1983 - Doctor Detroit
1981 - Ragtime
1980 - Gorp
1980 - The Hollywood Knights
1978 - American Hot Wax
1977 - Saturday Night Fever
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Francine Joy Drescher (born September 30, 1957) is an American film and television actress, comedian, producer, and activist. She is best known for her role as Fran Fine in the hit TV series The Nanny, and for her nasal voice and thick New York accent.
Born in Kew Gardens Hills, Queens, New York, the daughter of Sylvia, a bridal consultant, and Morty Drescher, a naval systems analyst. Her Ashkenazi Jewish family is of South-East and Central European origin. Her great-grandmother was born in Focșani, Romania, and had emigrated to the United States. She has an older sister, Nadine.
Drescher was a first runner-up for "Miss New York Teenager" in 1973, as revealed in her first autobiography Enter Whining released December 29, 1995, and on her interview on William Shatner's Raw Nerve, which first aired on January 27, 2009. She attended Hillcrest High School in Jamaica, Queens, where she met her future husband, Peter Marc Jacobson, whom she married in 1978, at age 21. They divorced (1999). Jacobson was Drescher's constant supporter in her show-business career, and he wrote, directed and produced her signature television series, The Nanny. Drescher graduated from Hillcrest High School in 1975; one of her classmates was comedian Ray Romano. Drescher's character Fran Fine on The Nanny and Romano's character Ray Barone on Everybody Loves Raymond met at a 20th high school reunion.
Drescher's first break was in the unforgettable movie, Saturday Night Fever (1977) with 'John Travolta'. She continued to play small roles in movies, until she came up with the idea for The Nanny (1993). She was visiting a friend in England and came up with the plot line. The Nanny became an instant success, and so did Derscher. Since then, she has been in films such as The Beautician and the Beast (1997) (which she also produced) and Picking Up the Pieces (2000) co-starring 'Woody Allen'.
She is a cancer survivor and an inspiration to women everywhere.
- Measurements: 34B-24-34 1/2 (Source: Celebrity Sleuth magazine)
- Is left-handed.
- Abides by a dairy-free diet.
- Endorsed Hanes' Smooth Illusions line of pantyhose in 1994, appearing in print and TV ads.
- Her father, 'Mort Drescher' (qv), has appeared on _"The Nanny" (1993)_ (qv) on more than one occasion.
- Is a rape survivor. She along with her then-husband, 'Peter Marc Jacobson' (qv), and a friend were attacked in her home during a home invasion many years ago.
- Went to Hillcrest High School in Queens, New York with 'Ray Romano (I)' (qv).
- The 1960s model 'Twiggy (I)' (qv) is a friend of her's and it was her interaction with Twiggy's children that was used as the basis for _"The Nanny" (1993)_ (qv).