Sep. 30th, 1957
Kew Gardens Hills, Queens, New York, USA
Fran Drescher's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Francine Joy Drescher (born September 30, 1957) is an American film and television actress, comedian, producer, and activist. She is best known for her role as Fran Fine in the hit TV series The Nanny, and for her nasal voice and thick New York accent.
Born in Kew Gardens Hills, Queens, New York, the daughter of Sylvia, a bridal consultant, and Morty Drescher, a naval systems analyst. Her Ashkenazi Jewish family is of South-East and Central European origin. Her great-grandmother was born in Focșani, Romania, and had emigrated to the United States. She has an older sister, Nadine.
Drescher was a first runner-up for "Miss New York Teenager" in 1973, as revealed in her first autobiography Enter Whining released December 29, 1995, and on her interview on William Shatner's Raw Nerve, which first aired on January 27, 2009. She attended Hillcrest High School in Jamaica, Queens, where she met her future husband, Peter Marc Jacobson, whom she married in 1978, at age 21. They divorced (1999). Jacobson was Drescher's constant supporter in her show-business career, and he wrote, directed and produced her signature television series, The Nanny. Drescher graduated from Hillcrest High School in 1975; one of her classmates was comedian Ray Romano. Drescher's character Fran Fine on The Nanny and Romano's character Ray Barone on Everybody Loves Raymond met at a 20th high school reunion.
Drescher's first break was in the unforgettable movie, Saturday Night Fever (1977) with 'John Travolta'. She continued to play small roles in movies, until she came up with the idea for The Nanny (1993). She was visiting a friend in England and came up with the plot line. The Nanny became an instant success, and so did Derscher. Since then, she has been in films such as The Beautician and the Beast (1997) (which she also produced) and Picking Up the Pieces (2000) co-starring 'Woody Allen'.
She is a cancer survivor and an inspiration to women everywhere.
- The 1960s model 'Twiggy (I)' (qv) is a friend of her's and it was her interaction with Twiggy's children that was used as the basis for _"The Nanny" (1993)_ (qv).
- Went to Hillcrest High School in Queens, New York, as did her former husband, 'Peter Marc Jacobson' (qv).
- A Patient Advocate on the External Advisory Board for the M.D. Anderson Cancer Centre in Houston, Texas. Also the 2002 recipient of the Public Service Award from the Gynecologic Cancer Foundation.
- Owns a chocolate Pomeranian named Esther Drescher, who often appears on _"Living with Fran" (2005)_ (qv) as Esther the dog.
- Can speak some Spanish.
- Is of Eastern European descent.
- Abides by a dairy-free diet.
- Went to Hillcrest High School in Queens, New York with 'Ray Romano (I)' (qv).