Mar. 31st, 1971
Perth, Perthshire, Scotland, UK
Ewan McGregor's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Ewan Gordon McGregor was born 31 March 1971 in Crieff, Scotland. At 16, he left Crieff and Morrison Academy to join the Perth Repertory Theatre. His parents encouraged him to leave school and pursue his acting goals rather than be unhappy. McGregor studied drama for a year at Kirkcaldly in Fife, then enrolled at London's Guildhall School of Music and Drama for a three-year course. He studied alongside Daniel Craig (I) and Alistair McGowan among others, and left right before graduating after snagging the role of Private Mick Hopper in Dennis Potter (I)'s 1993 six-part Channel 4 series "Lipstick on Your Collar" (1993). His first notable role was that of Alex Law in Shallow Grave (1994), directed by Danny Boyle, written by John Hodge (I) and produced by Andrew MacDonald (I). This was followed by The Pillow Book (1996) and Trainspotting (1996), the latter of which brought him to the public's attention. He is now one of the most critically acclaimed actors of his generation, and portrays Obi-wan Kenobi in the first three Star Wars episodes. McGregor is married to French production designer Eve Mavrakis, whom he met while working on the TV show "Kavanagh QC" (1995). They married in France in the summer of 1995 and have two daughters, Clara Mathilde and Esther Rose. McGregor has formed a production company with friends Jonny Lee Miller, Sean Pertwee, Jude Law and Sadie Frost. Called Natural Nylon, they hope it will make innovative films that do not conform to Hollywood standards.
- Father of Clara Mathilde (born in February 1996) and Esther Rose (born on 7 November 2001).
- He actually dropped out of school because his mother wanted him to.
- Former roommate of 'Jude Law' (qv). They are still close friends.
- He and his uncle, 'Denis Lawson' (qv), have worked with two of the same directors. Both have been in Star Wars films, directed by 'George Lucas (I)' (qv). His first film, _Being Human (1993)_ (qv), was directed by 'Bill Forsyth (I)' (qv), who also directed Lawson in _Local Hero (1983)_ (qv).
- While he usually takes his family along with him during his movie shoots, he left them at home during the shoot of _Young Adam (2003)_ (qv).
- Considered for the role of Will Turner in _Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)_ (qv).
- Is short sighted.
- Received the Film Actor Award for _Moulin Rouge! (2001)_ (qv) at The Variety Club Showbusiness Awards 2002.