Mar. 31st, 1971
Perth, Perthshire, Scotland, UK
Ewan McGregor's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Ewan Gordon McGregor was born 31 March 1971 in Crieff, Scotland. At 16, he left Crieff and Morrison Academy to join the Perth Repertory Theatre. His parents encouraged him to leave school and pursue his acting goals rather than be unhappy. McGregor studied drama for a year at Kirkcaldly in Fife, then enrolled at London's Guildhall School of Music and Drama for a three-year course. He studied alongside Daniel Craig (I) and Alistair McGowan among others, and left right before graduating after snagging the role of Private Mick Hopper in Dennis Potter (I)'s 1993 six-part Channel 4 series "Lipstick on Your Collar" (1993). His first notable role was that of Alex Law in Shallow Grave (1994), directed by Danny Boyle, written by John Hodge (I) and produced by Andrew MacDonald (I). This was followed by The Pillow Book (1996) and Trainspotting (1996), the latter of which brought him to the public's attention. He is now one of the most critically acclaimed actors of his generation, and portrays Obi-wan Kenobi in the first three Star Wars episodes. McGregor is married to French production designer Eve Mavrakis, whom he met while working on the TV show "Kavanagh QC" (1995). They married in France in the summer of 1995 and have two daughters, Clara Mathilde and Esther Rose. McGregor has formed a production company with friends Jonny Lee Miller, Sean Pertwee, Jude Law and Sadie Frost. Called Natural Nylon, they hope it will make innovative films that do not conform to Hollywood standards.
- Ranked #36 in Empire (UK) magazine's "The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time" list (October 1997).
- When filming in _Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)_ (qv), he kept imitating the noise of the light saber during his fights. 'George Lucas (I)' (qv) explained many times that this would be added in by the special effects people later on. Ewan said "I keep getting carried away.".
- Born at 3:45pm-CET
- Both he and 'Harrison Ford (I)' (qv) have worked for director 'Ridley Scott' (qv) between Star Wars films. Ford made _Blade Runner (1982)_ (qv) after _Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)_ (qv), but before _Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983)_ (qv). McGregor made _Black Hawk Down (2001)_ (qv) shortly after filming _Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (2002)_ (qv), and thus before _Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005)_ (qv).
- Good friends with _Black Hawk Down (2001)_ (qv) co-star 'Hugh Dancy' (qv).
- He met his wife while filming for _"Kavanagh QC" (1995)_ (qv).
- Considered for the role of Will Turner in _Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)_ (qv).
- Born to James Charles Stuart McGregor, a physical education teacher, and his wife 'Carol McGregor' (qv), née Lawson, a teacher and school administrator, he grew up in Crieff, Scotland.