Mar. 31st, 1971
Perth, Perthshire, Scotland, UK
Ewan McGregor's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Ewan Gordon McGregor was born 31 March 1971 in Crieff, Scotland. At 16, he left Crieff and Morrison Academy to join the Perth Repertory Theatre. His parents encouraged him to leave school and pursue his acting goals rather than be unhappy. McGregor studied drama for a year at Kirkcaldly in Fife, then enrolled at London's Guildhall School of Music and Drama for a three-year course. He studied alongside Daniel Craig (I) and Alistair McGowan among others, and left right before graduating after snagging the role of Private Mick Hopper in Dennis Potter (I)'s 1993 six-part Channel 4 series "Lipstick on Your Collar" (1993). His first notable role was that of Alex Law in Shallow Grave (1994), directed by Danny Boyle, written by John Hodge (I) and produced by Andrew MacDonald (I). This was followed by The Pillow Book (1996) and Trainspotting (1996), the latter of which brought him to the public's attention. He is now one of the most critically acclaimed actors of his generation, and portrays Obi-wan Kenobi in the first three Star Wars episodes. McGregor is married to French production designer Eve Mavrakis, whom he met while working on the TV show "Kavanagh QC" (1995). They married in France in the summer of 1995 and have two daughters, Clara Mathilde and Esther Rose. McGregor has formed a production company with friends Jonny Lee Miller, Sean Pertwee, Jude Law and Sadie Frost. Called Natural Nylon, they hope it will make innovative films that do not conform to Hollywood standards.
- Ewan, a UNICEF ambassador, adopted a 4-year-old girl from Mongolia, named Jamyan, whom he met while traveling around the world in 2004. (April 2006).
- Befriended 'Colin Farrell (I)' (qv) during the shooting of _Cassandra's Dream (2007)_ (qv).
- Is short sighted.
- Slated to start filming 'Nautic' in Jamaica with 'Heath Ledger' (qv) in a couple of months. However 'Ted Demme' (qv), who was picked to direct the film died suddenly at the age of 38 from a heart attack while playing basketball.
- Ranked #8 in the 2001 Orange Film Survey of greatest British actors.
- Was voted #9 in the Greatest Movie Stars Of All Time (Channel 4).
- Born to James Charles Stuart McGregor, a physical education teacher, and his wife 'Carol McGregor' (qv), née Lawson, a teacher and school administrator, he grew up in Crieff, Scotland.
- Although his motorcycles of choice include an MV Agusta F4S and a KTM Duke, McGregor and pal 'Charley Boorman' (qv) each rode a BMW 1150GS Adventure for their marathon trip around the world in _"Long Way Round"_ (2004) (mini).