Mar. 31st, 1971
Perth, Perthshire, Scotland, UK
Ewan McGregor's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Ewan Gordon McGregor was born 31 March 1971 in Crieff, Scotland. At 16, he left Crieff and Morrison Academy to join the Perth Repertory Theatre. His parents encouraged him to leave school and pursue his acting goals rather than be unhappy. McGregor studied drama for a year at Kirkcaldly in Fife, then enrolled at London's Guildhall School of Music and Drama for a three-year course. He studied alongside Daniel Craig (I) and Alistair McGowan among others, and left right before graduating after snagging the role of Private Mick Hopper in Dennis Potter (I)'s 1993 six-part Channel 4 series "Lipstick on Your Collar" (1993). His first notable role was that of Alex Law in Shallow Grave (1994), directed by Danny Boyle, written by John Hodge (I) and produced by Andrew MacDonald (I). This was followed by The Pillow Book (1996) and Trainspotting (1996), the latter of which brought him to the public's attention. He is now one of the most critically acclaimed actors of his generation, and portrays Obi-wan Kenobi in the first three Star Wars episodes. McGregor is married to French production designer Eve Mavrakis, whom he met while working on the TV show "Kavanagh QC" (1995). They married in France in the summer of 1995 and have two daughters, Clara Mathilde and Esther Rose. McGregor has formed a production company with friends Jonny Lee Miller, Sean Pertwee, Jude Law and Sadie Frost. Called Natural Nylon, they hope it will make innovative films that do not conform to Hollywood standards.
- Born at 3:45pm-CET
- Born on the same exact day as 'Isobel Thomas' (qv), the "assistant to producer" on _Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)_ (qv), in which Ewan starred.
- September 2001: Attended the Royal Premiere of _Moulin Rouge! (2001)_ (qv) alongside 'Kylie Minogue' (qv), 'Prince Charles' (qv) and 'Nicole Kidman' (qv).
- His Star Wars character, Obi-Wan Kenobi, goes by the call sign Red Leader in Revenge of the Sith. Wedge Antilles, who was played by his uncle, 'Denis Lawson' (qv), has the same call sign in _Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983)_ (qv).
- While he usually takes his family along with him during his movie shoots, he left them at home during the shoot of _Young Adam (2003)_ (qv).
- Has a nephew (born in 1999).
- His uncle 'Denis Lawson' (qv) was considered for the role of "Captain Antilles" in _Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005)_ (qv).
- He met his wife while filming for _"Kavanagh QC" (1995)_ (qv).