Mar. 31st, 1971
Perth, Perthshire, Scotland, UK
Ewan McGregor's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Ewan Gordon McGregor was born 31 March 1971 in Crieff, Scotland. At 16, he left Crieff and Morrison Academy to join the Perth Repertory Theatre. His parents encouraged him to leave school and pursue his acting goals rather than be unhappy. McGregor studied drama for a year at Kirkcaldly in Fife, then enrolled at London's Guildhall School of Music and Drama for a three-year course. He studied alongside Daniel Craig (I) and Alistair McGowan among others, and left right before graduating after snagging the role of Private Mick Hopper in Dennis Potter (I)'s 1993 six-part Channel 4 series "Lipstick on Your Collar" (1993). His first notable role was that of Alex Law in Shallow Grave (1994), directed by Danny Boyle, written by John Hodge (I) and produced by Andrew MacDonald (I). This was followed by The Pillow Book (1996) and Trainspotting (1996), the latter of which brought him to the public's attention. He is now one of the most critically acclaimed actors of his generation, and portrays Obi-wan Kenobi in the first three Star Wars episodes. McGregor is married to French production designer Eve Mavrakis, whom he met while working on the TV show "Kavanagh QC" (1995). They married in France in the summer of 1995 and have two daughters, Clara Mathilde and Esther Rose. McGregor has formed a production company with friends Jonny Lee Miller, Sean Pertwee, Jude Law and Sadie Frost. Called Natural Nylon, they hope it will make innovative films that do not conform to Hollywood standards.
- Received the Film Actor Award for _Moulin Rouge! (2001)_ (qv) at The Variety Club Showbusiness Awards 2002.
- Refused to have his wife and kids visit him on the set of _Black Hawk Down (2001)_, because he felt the content was too violent and too bloody for them to see.
- Father of Clara Mathilde (born in February 1996) and Esther Rose (born on 7 November 2001).
- Befriended 'Colin Farrell (I)' (qv) during the shooting of _Cassandra's Dream (2007)_ (qv).
- Resides in North London with his family.
- He says that he was inspired to get into show business by his uncle, actor 'Denis Lawson' (qv). Lawson played Wedge Antilles in Episodes 4-6 of Star Wars.
- Studied at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama in London for three years, graduating in 1992.
- September 2001: Attended the Royal Premiere of _Moulin Rouge! (2001)_ (qv) alongside 'Kylie Minogue' (qv), 'Prince Charles' (qv) and 'Nicole Kidman' (qv).