Mar. 31st, 1971
Perth, Perthshire, Scotland, UK
Ewan McGregor's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Ewan Gordon McGregor was born 31 March 1971 in Crieff, Scotland. At 16, he left Crieff and Morrison Academy to join the Perth Repertory Theatre. His parents encouraged him to leave school and pursue his acting goals rather than be unhappy. McGregor studied drama for a year at Kirkcaldly in Fife, then enrolled at London's Guildhall School of Music and Drama for a three-year course. He studied alongside Daniel Craig (I) and Alistair McGowan among others, and left right before graduating after snagging the role of Private Mick Hopper in Dennis Potter (I)'s 1993 six-part Channel 4 series "Lipstick on Your Collar" (1993). His first notable role was that of Alex Law in Shallow Grave (1994), directed by Danny Boyle, written by John Hodge (I) and produced by Andrew MacDonald (I). This was followed by The Pillow Book (1996) and Trainspotting (1996), the latter of which brought him to the public's attention. He is now one of the most critically acclaimed actors of his generation, and portrays Obi-wan Kenobi in the first three Star Wars episodes. McGregor is married to French production designer Eve Mavrakis, whom he met while working on the TV show "Kavanagh QC" (1995). They married in France in the summer of 1995 and have two daughters, Clara Mathilde and Esther Rose. McGregor has formed a production company with friends Jonny Lee Miller, Sean Pertwee, Jude Law and Sadie Frost. Called Natural Nylon, they hope it will make innovative films that do not conform to Hollywood standards.
- Considered for the role of Will Turner in _Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)_ (qv).
- Originally auditioned for the role of Mercutio in the 1996 film _Romeo + Juliet (1996)_ (qv). He later got his chance to work with "Romeo" director 'Baz Luhrmann' (qv) when he was cast as Christian in _Moulin Rouge! (2001)_ (qv).
- Is a casual supporter of St Johnstone Football Club.
- Older brother Colin is a pilot in the Royal Air Force.
- Ranked #8 in the 2001 Orange Film Survey of greatest British actors.
- In the film _Moulin Rouge! (2001)_ (qv) McGregor sang alongside 'Nicole Kidman' (qv).
- Born to James Charles Stuart McGregor, a physical education teacher, and his wife 'Carol McGregor' (qv), née Lawson, a teacher and school administrator, he grew up in Crieff, Scotland.
- (2008) Had two moles, one just below his right eye and one on his forehead, removed after doctors advised him to do so, because the one near his eye was cancerous.