Mar. 31st, 1971
Perth, Perthshire, Scotland, UK
Ewan McGregor's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - A Million Ways to Die in the West
2010 - The Ghost Writer
2010 - Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang
2009 - The Men Who Stare at Goats
2009 - I Love You Phillip Morris
2009 - Angels & Demons
2009 - Amelia
2007 - Cassandra's Dream
2006 - Scenes of a Sexual Nature
2006 - Miss Potter
2005 - Valiant
2005 - Robots
2005 - The Island
2005 - Star Wars: Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
2003 - Young Adam
2003 - Big Fish
2003 - Down with Love
2002 - Star Wars: Episode II: Attack of the Clones
2001 - Moulin Rouge!
2001 - Black Hawk Down
1999 - Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace
1999 - Rogue Trader
1999 - Eye of the Beholder
1998 - Velvet Goldmine
1998 - Little Voice
1997 - The Serpent's Kiss
1997 - Nightwatch
1997 - A Life Less Ordinary
1996 - The Pillow Book
1996 - Trainspotting
1996 - Emma
1996 - Brassed Off
1995 - Blue Juice
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Fellow UNICEF Ambassador
Ewan Gordon McGregor was born 31 March 1971 in Crieff, Scotland. At 16, he left Crieff and Morrison Academy to join the Perth Repertory Theatre. His parents encouraged him to leave school and pursue his acting goals rather than be unhappy. McGregor studied drama for a year at Kirkcaldly in Fife, then enrolled at London's Guildhall School of Music and Drama for a three-year course. He studied alongside Daniel Craig (I) and Alistair McGowan among others, and left right before graduating after snagging the role of Private Mick Hopper in Dennis Potter (I)'s 1993 six-part Channel 4 series "Lipstick on Your Collar" (1993). His first notable role was that of Alex Law in Shallow Grave (1994), directed by Danny Boyle, written by John Hodge (I) and produced by Andrew MacDonald (I). This was followed by The Pillow Book (1996) and Trainspotting (1996), the latter of which brought him to the public's attention. He is now one of the most critically acclaimed actors of his generation, and portrays Obi-wan Kenobi in the first three Star Wars episodes. McGregor is married to French production designer Eve Mavrakis, whom he met while working on the TV show "Kavanagh QC" (1995). They married in France in the summer of 1995 and have two daughters, Clara Mathilde and Esther Rose. McGregor has formed a production company with friends Jonny Lee Miller, Sean Pertwee, Jude Law and Sadie Frost. Called Natural Nylon, they hope it will make innovative films that do not conform to Hollywood standards.
- He met his wife while filming for _"Kavanagh QC" (1995)_ (qv).
- Completed a trip from London to New York 'The Long Way Round' by riding a motorbike east, via Europe, Mongolia, Russia, Alaska and Canada to Manhattan over 115 days in 2004.
- Was considered to play James Bond in _Casino Royale (2006)_ (qv).
- Received the Film Actor Award for _Moulin Rouge! (2001)_ (qv) at The Variety Club Showbusiness Awards 2002.
- He and his uncle, 'Denis Lawson' (qv), have worked with two of the same directors. Both have been in Star Wars films, directed by 'George Lucas (I)' (qv). His first film, _Being Human (1993)_ (qv), was directed by 'Bill Forsyth (I)' (qv), who also directed Lawson in _Local Hero (1983)_ (qv).
- Former roommate of 'Jude Law' (qv). They are still close friends.
- His brother Colin is part of the RAF's Tornado display team who are based at RAF Lossiemouth in Scotland.
- Is a good friend of 'Naveen Andrews' (qv), star of the show _"Lost" (2004)_ (qv), from drama school.