Mar. 31st, 1971
Perth, Perthshire, Scotland, UK
Ewan McGregor's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Ewan Gordon McGregor was born 31 March 1971 in Crieff, Scotland. At 16, he left Crieff and Morrison Academy to join the Perth Repertory Theatre. His parents encouraged him to leave school and pursue his acting goals rather than be unhappy. McGregor studied drama for a year at Kirkcaldly in Fife, then enrolled at London's Guildhall School of Music and Drama for a three-year course. He studied alongside Daniel Craig (I) and Alistair McGowan among others, and left right before graduating after snagging the role of Private Mick Hopper in Dennis Potter (I)'s 1993 six-part Channel 4 series "Lipstick on Your Collar" (1993). His first notable role was that of Alex Law in Shallow Grave (1994), directed by Danny Boyle, written by John Hodge (I) and produced by Andrew MacDonald (I). This was followed by The Pillow Book (1996) and Trainspotting (1996), the latter of which brought him to the public's attention. He is now one of the most critically acclaimed actors of his generation, and portrays Obi-wan Kenobi in the first three Star Wars episodes. McGregor is married to French production designer Eve Mavrakis, whom he met while working on the TV show "Kavanagh QC" (1995). They married in France in the summer of 1995 and have two daughters, Clara Mathilde and Esther Rose. McGregor has formed a production company with friends Jonny Lee Miller, Sean Pertwee, Jude Law and Sadie Frost. Called Natural Nylon, they hope it will make innovative films that do not conform to Hollywood standards.
- When filming in _Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)_ (qv), he kept imitating the noise of the light saber during his fights. 'George Lucas (I)' (qv) explained many times that this would be added in by the special effects people later on. Ewan said "I keep getting carried away.".
- (2008) Had two moles, one just below his right eye and one on his forehead, removed after doctors advised him to do so, because the one near his eye was cancerous.
- According to Stunt Coordinator 'Nick Gillard' (qv), he picked up the light saber sword fighting style very quickly. In an interview on the DVD to The Phantom Menace, Gillard commented that Ewan was probably faster than anyone else who was working on the film, including the stunt department.
- His first name is pronounced "you-an".
- Studied 'Alec Guinness' (qv)' films in preparation for his role as Obi-Wan Kenobi in _Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)_ (qv) and to ensure accuracy in everything from his accent to the pacing of his words.
- Was a student in the year-long theatre arts program at Kirkcaldy College of Technology in the fall of 1988.
- Is a good friend of 'Naveen Andrews' (qv), star of the show _"Lost" (2004)_ (qv), from drama school.
- Good friends with _Black Hawk Down (2001)_ (qv) co-star 'Hugh Dancy' (qv).