Mar. 31st, 1971
Perth, Perthshire, Scotland, UK
Ewan McGregor's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Ewan Gordon McGregor was born 31 March 1971 in Crieff, Scotland. At 16, he left Crieff and Morrison Academy to join the Perth Repertory Theatre. His parents encouraged him to leave school and pursue his acting goals rather than be unhappy. McGregor studied drama for a year at Kirkcaldly in Fife, then enrolled at London's Guildhall School of Music and Drama for a three-year course. He studied alongside Daniel Craig (I) and Alistair McGowan among others, and left right before graduating after snagging the role of Private Mick Hopper in Dennis Potter (I)'s 1993 six-part Channel 4 series "Lipstick on Your Collar" (1993). His first notable role was that of Alex Law in Shallow Grave (1994), directed by Danny Boyle, written by John Hodge (I) and produced by Andrew MacDonald (I). This was followed by The Pillow Book (1996) and Trainspotting (1996), the latter of which brought him to the public's attention. He is now one of the most critically acclaimed actors of his generation, and portrays Obi-wan Kenobi in the first three Star Wars episodes. McGregor is married to French production designer Eve Mavrakis, whom he met while working on the TV show "Kavanagh QC" (1995). They married in France in the summer of 1995 and have two daughters, Clara Mathilde and Esther Rose. McGregor has formed a production company with friends Jonny Lee Miller, Sean Pertwee, Jude Law and Sadie Frost. Called Natural Nylon, they hope it will make innovative films that do not conform to Hollywood standards.
- Is very particular about his children being photographed or seen on television. He strongly believes that just because he is famous, that should not give anyone the right to invade their privacy.
- Good friends with _Black Hawk Down (2001)_ (qv) co-star 'Hugh Dancy' (qv).
- Was considered to play James Bond in _Casino Royale (2006)_ (qv).
- September 2001: Attended the Royal Premiere of _Moulin Rouge! (2001)_ (qv) alongside 'Kylie Minogue' (qv), 'Prince Charles' (qv) and 'Nicole Kidman' (qv).
- Former roommate of 'Jude Law' (qv). They are still close friends.
- Although his motorcycles of choice include an MV Agusta F4S and a KTM Duke, McGregor and pal 'Charley Boorman' (qv) each rode a BMW 1150GS Adventure for their marathon trip around the world in _"Long Way Round"_ (2004) (mini).
- Before his trip around the world with 'Charley Boorman' (qv), he had a laser eye operation to improve his eyesight, so he didn't have to wear glasses or contact lenses.
- He says that he was inspired to get into show business by his uncle, actor 'Denis Lawson' (qv). Lawson played Wedge Antilles in Episodes 4-6 of Star Wars.