Mar. 31st, 1971
Perth, Perthshire, Scotland, UK
Ewan McGregor's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Ewan Gordon McGregor was born 31 March 1971 in Crieff, Scotland. At 16, he left Crieff and Morrison Academy to join the Perth Repertory Theatre. His parents encouraged him to leave school and pursue his acting goals rather than be unhappy. McGregor studied drama for a year at Kirkcaldly in Fife, then enrolled at London's Guildhall School of Music and Drama for a three-year course. He studied alongside Daniel Craig (I) and Alistair McGowan among others, and left right before graduating after snagging the role of Private Mick Hopper in Dennis Potter (I)'s 1993 six-part Channel 4 series "Lipstick on Your Collar" (1993). His first notable role was that of Alex Law in Shallow Grave (1994), directed by Danny Boyle, written by John Hodge (I) and produced by Andrew MacDonald (I). This was followed by The Pillow Book (1996) and Trainspotting (1996), the latter of which brought him to the public's attention. He is now one of the most critically acclaimed actors of his generation, and portrays Obi-wan Kenobi in the first three Star Wars episodes. McGregor is married to French production designer Eve Mavrakis, whom he met while working on the TV show "Kavanagh QC" (1995). They married in France in the summer of 1995 and have two daughters, Clara Mathilde and Esther Rose. McGregor has formed a production company with friends Jonny Lee Miller, Sean Pertwee, Jude Law and Sadie Frost. Called Natural Nylon, they hope it will make innovative films that do not conform to Hollywood standards.
- Born to James Charles Stuart McGregor, a physical education teacher, and his wife 'Carol McGregor' (qv), née Lawson, a teacher and school administrator, he grew up in Crieff, Scotland.
- Was originally up for the lead role in _The Beach (2000/I)_ (qv), which would have reunited him with director 'Danny Boyle' (qv) and screenwriter 'John Hodge (I)' (qv) who collaborated with McGregor on _Shallow Grave (1994)_ (qv), _Trainspotting (1996)_ (qv) and _A Life Less Ordinary (1997)_ (qv). The role went to 'Leonardo DiCaprio' (qv). While McGregor blames studio influence for the casting decision he has not spoken to either Boyle nor Hodge since.
- Embarked on a motorcycle trip around the World along with his friend and fellow actor 'Charley Boorman' (qv) (2004).
- Good friends with _Black Hawk Down (2001)_ (qv) co-star 'Hugh Dancy' (qv).
- Is a good friend of 'Naveen Andrews' (qv), star of the show _"Lost" (2004)_ (qv), from drama school.
- Former roommate of 'Jude Law' (qv). They are still close friends.
- Studied 'Alec Guinness' (qv)' films in preparation for his role as Obi-Wan Kenobi in _Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)_ (qv) and to ensure accuracy in everything from his accent to the pacing of his words.
- Is very particular about his children being photographed or seen on television. He strongly believes that just because he is famous, that should not give anyone the right to invade their privacy.