Mar. 31st, 1971
Perth, Perthshire, Scotland, UK
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Ewan Gordon McGregor was born 31 March 1971 in Crieff, Scotland. At 16, he left Crieff and Morrison Academy to join the Perth Repertory Theatre. His parents encouraged him to leave school and pursue his acting goals rather than be unhappy. McGregor studied drama for a year at Kirkcaldly in Fife, then enrolled at London's Guildhall School of Music and Drama for a three-year course. He studied alongside Daniel Craig (I) and Alistair McGowan among others, and left right before graduating after snagging the role of Private Mick Hopper in Dennis Potter (I)'s 1993 six-part Channel 4 series "Lipstick on Your Collar" (1993). His first notable role was that of Alex Law in Shallow Grave (1994), directed by Danny Boyle, written by John Hodge (I) and produced by Andrew MacDonald (I). This was followed by The Pillow Book (1996) and Trainspotting (1996), the latter of which brought him to the public's attention. He is now one of the most critically acclaimed actors of his generation, and portrays Obi-wan Kenobi in the first three Star Wars episodes. McGregor is married to French production designer Eve Mavrakis, whom he met while working on the TV show "Kavanagh QC" (1995). They married in France in the summer of 1995 and have two daughters, Clara Mathilde and Esther Rose. McGregor has formed a production company with friends Jonny Lee Miller, Sean Pertwee, Jude Law and Sadie Frost. Called Natural Nylon, they hope it will make innovative films that do not conform to Hollywood standards.
- Was the original choice for the role of Jim in _28 Days Later... (2002)_ (qv), directed by 'Danny Boyle' (qv) who has worked with Ewan three times previously (see above).
- Is very particular about his children being photographed or seen on television. He strongly believes that just because he is famous, that should not give anyone the right to invade their privacy.
- Resides in North London with his family.
- Refused to have his wife and kids visit him on the set of _Black Hawk Down (2001)_, because he felt the content was too violent and too bloody for them to see.
- Originally auditioned for the role of Mercutio in the 1996 film _Romeo + Juliet (1996)_ (qv). He later got his chance to work with "Romeo" director 'Baz Luhrmann' (qv) when he was cast as Christian in _Moulin Rouge! (2001)_ (qv).
- While he usually takes his family along with him during his movie shoots, he left them at home during the shoot of _Young Adam (2003)_ (qv).
- Befriended 'Colin Farrell (I)' (qv) during the shooting of _Cassandra's Dream (2007)_ (qv).
- His uncle 'Denis Lawson' (qv) was considered for the role of "Captain Antilles" in _Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005)_ (qv).