Mar. 31st, 1971
Perth, Perthshire, Scotland, UK
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Guest
Himself - Guest
Himself - Guest
Ewan Gordon McGregor was born 31 March 1971 in Crieff, Scotland. At 16, he left Crieff and Morrison Academy to join the Perth Repertory Theatre. His parents encouraged him to leave school and pursue his acting goals rather than be unhappy. McGregor studied drama for a year at Kirkcaldly in Fife, then enrolled at London's Guildhall School of Music and Drama for a three-year course. He studied alongside Daniel Craig (I) and Alistair McGowan among others, and left right before graduating after snagging the role of Private Mick Hopper in Dennis Potter (I)'s 1993 six-part Channel 4 series "Lipstick on Your Collar" (1993). His first notable role was that of Alex Law in Shallow Grave (1994), directed by Danny Boyle, written by John Hodge (I) and produced by Andrew MacDonald (I). This was followed by The Pillow Book (1996) and Trainspotting (1996), the latter of which brought him to the public's attention. He is now one of the most critically acclaimed actors of his generation, and portrays Obi-wan Kenobi in the first three Star Wars episodes. McGregor is married to French production designer Eve Mavrakis, whom he met while working on the TV show "Kavanagh QC" (1995). They married in France in the summer of 1995 and have two daughters, Clara Mathilde and Esther Rose. McGregor has formed a production company with friends Jonny Lee Miller, Sean Pertwee, Jude Law and Sadie Frost. Called Natural Nylon, they hope it will make innovative films that do not conform to Hollywood standards.
- Originally auditioned for the role of Mercutio in the 1996 film _Romeo + Juliet (1996)_ (qv). He later got his chance to work with "Romeo" director 'Baz Luhrmann' (qv) when he was cast as Christian in _Moulin Rouge! (2001)_ (qv).
- Refused to have his wife and kids visit him on the set of _Black Hawk Down (2001)_, because he felt the content was too violent and too bloody for them to see.
- Was originally up for the lead role in _The Beach (2000/I)_ (qv), which would have reunited him with director 'Danny Boyle' (qv) and screenwriter 'John Hodge (I)' (qv) who collaborated with McGregor on _Shallow Grave (1994)_ (qv), _Trainspotting (1996)_ (qv) and _A Life Less Ordinary (1997)_ (qv). The role went to 'Leonardo DiCaprio' (qv). While McGregor blames studio influence for the casting decision he has not spoken to either Boyle nor Hodge since.
- While he usually takes his family along with him during his movie shoots, he left them at home during the shoot of _Young Adam (2003)_ (qv).
- Although his motorcycles of choice include an MV Agusta F4S and a KTM Duke, McGregor and pal 'Charley Boorman' (qv) each rode a BMW 1150GS Adventure for their marathon trip around the world in _"Long Way Round"_ (2004) (mini).
- Was considered to play James Bond in _Casino Royale (2006)_ (qv).
- He actually dropped out of school because his mother wanted him to.
- Ewan and his wife Eve have the same initials, even with her maiden name.