Mar. 31st, 1971
Perth, Perthshire, Scotland, UK
Ewan McGregor's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2010 - The Ghost Writer
2010 - Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang
2009 - Amelia
2009 - Angels & Demons
2009 - I Love You Phillip Morris
2009 - The Men Who Stare at Goats
2007 - Cassandra's Dream
2006 - Miss Potter
2006 - Scenes of a Sexual Nature
2005 - Robots
2005 - Valiant
2005 - Star Wars: Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
2005 - The Island
2003 - Young Adam
2003 - Big Fish
2003 - Down with Love
2002 - Star Wars: Episode II: Attack of the Clones
2001 - Moulin Rouge!
2001 - Black Hawk Down
1999 - Eye of the Beholder
1999 - Rogue Trader
1999 - Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace
1998 - Velvet Goldmine
1998 - Little Voice
1997 - The Serpent's Kiss
1997 - Nightwatch
1997 - A Life Less Ordinary
1996 - The Pillow Book
1996 - Emma
1996 - Trainspotting
1996 - Brassed Off
1995 - Blue Juice
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Fellow UNICEF Ambassador
Ewan Gordon McGregor was born 31 March 1971 in Crieff, Scotland. At 16, he left Crieff and Morrison Academy to join the Perth Repertory Theatre. His parents encouraged him to leave school and pursue his acting goals rather than be unhappy. McGregor studied drama for a year at Kirkcaldly in Fife, then enrolled at London's Guildhall School of Music and Drama for a three-year course. He studied alongside Daniel Craig (I) and Alistair McGowan among others, and left right before graduating after snagging the role of Private Mick Hopper in Dennis Potter (I)'s 1993 six-part Channel 4 series "Lipstick on Your Collar" (1993). His first notable role was that of Alex Law in Shallow Grave (1994), directed by Danny Boyle, written by John Hodge (I) and produced by Andrew MacDonald (I). This was followed by The Pillow Book (1996) and Trainspotting (1996), the latter of which brought him to the public's attention. He is now one of the most critically acclaimed actors of his generation, and portrays Obi-wan Kenobi in the first three Star Wars episodes. McGregor is married to French production designer Eve Mavrakis, whom he met while working on the TV show "Kavanagh QC" (1995). They married in France in the summer of 1995 and have two daughters, Clara Mathilde and Esther Rose. McGregor has formed a production company with friends Jonny Lee Miller, Sean Pertwee, Jude Law and Sadie Frost. Called Natural Nylon, they hope it will make innovative films that do not conform to Hollywood standards.
- Ewan and his wife Eve have the same initials, even with her maiden name.
- Refused to have his wife and kids visit him on the set of _Black Hawk Down (2001)_, because he felt the content was too violent and too bloody for them to see.
- In 1987, after leaving school at age 16, he worked as a stagehand at Perth Repertory Theatre and had small roles in their productions.
- Was the original choice for the role of Jim in _28 Days Later... (2002)_ (qv), directed by 'Danny Boyle' (qv) who has worked with Ewan three times previously (see above).
- Was the best man at 'Dougray Scott' (qv)'s wedding in 2000.
- His first name is pronounced "you-an".
- Has a nephew (born in 1999).
- Has been involved in a campaign against the closure of the maternity wing of Perth Royal Infirmary, the hospital ward where he was born.