Mar. 31st, 1971
Perth, Perthshire, Scotland, UK
Ewan McGregor's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2010 - The Ghost Writer
2010 - Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang
2009 - Amelia
2009 - Angels & Demons
2009 - I Love You Phillip Morris
2009 - The Men Who Stare at Goats
2007 - Cassandra's Dream
2006 - Miss Potter
2006 - Scenes of a Sexual Nature
2005 - Robots
2005 - Valiant
2005 - Star Wars: Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
2005 - The Island
2003 - Young Adam
2003 - Big Fish
2003 - Down with Love
2002 - Star Wars: Episode II: Attack of the Clones
2001 - Moulin Rouge!
2001 - Black Hawk Down
1999 - Eye of the Beholder
1999 - Rogue Trader
1999 - Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace
1998 - Velvet Goldmine
1998 - Little Voice
1997 - The Serpent's Kiss
1997 - Nightwatch
1997 - A Life Less Ordinary
1996 - The Pillow Book
1996 - Emma
1996 - Trainspotting
1996 - Brassed Off
1995 - Blue Juice
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Fellow UNICEF Ambassador
Ewan Gordon McGregor was born 31 March 1971 in Crieff, Scotland. At 16, he left Crieff and Morrison Academy to join the Perth Repertory Theatre. His parents encouraged him to leave school and pursue his acting goals rather than be unhappy. McGregor studied drama for a year at Kirkcaldly in Fife, then enrolled at London's Guildhall School of Music and Drama for a three-year course. He studied alongside Daniel Craig (I) and Alistair McGowan among others, and left right before graduating after snagging the role of Private Mick Hopper in Dennis Potter (I)'s 1993 six-part Channel 4 series "Lipstick on Your Collar" (1993). His first notable role was that of Alex Law in Shallow Grave (1994), directed by Danny Boyle, written by John Hodge (I) and produced by Andrew MacDonald (I). This was followed by The Pillow Book (1996) and Trainspotting (1996), the latter of which brought him to the public's attention. He is now one of the most critically acclaimed actors of his generation, and portrays Obi-wan Kenobi in the first three Star Wars episodes. McGregor is married to French production designer Eve Mavrakis, whom he met while working on the TV show "Kavanagh QC" (1995). They married in France in the summer of 1995 and have two daughters, Clara Mathilde and Esther Rose. McGregor has formed a production company with friends Jonny Lee Miller, Sean Pertwee, Jude Law and Sadie Frost. Called Natural Nylon, they hope it will make innovative films that do not conform to Hollywood standards.
- Studied 'Alec Guinness' (qv)' films in preparation for his role as Obi-Wan Kenobi in _Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)_ (qv) and to ensure accuracy in everything from his accent to the pacing of his words.
- Ranked #8 in the 2001 Orange Film Survey of greatest British actors.
- His Star Wars character, Obi-Wan Kenobi, goes by the call sign Red Leader in Revenge of the Sith. Wedge Antilles, who was played by his uncle, 'Denis Lawson' (qv), has the same call sign in _Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983)_ (qv).
- Good friends with Texas lead singer 'Sharleen Spiteri' (qv).
- Received the Film Actor Award for _Moulin Rouge! (2001)_ (qv) at The Variety Club Showbusiness Awards 2002.
- According to Stunt Coordinator 'Nick Gillard' (qv), he picked up the light saber sword fighting style very quickly. In an interview on the DVD to The Phantom Menace, Gillard commented that Ewan was probably faster than anyone else who was working on the film, including the stunt department.
- Originally auditioned for the role of Mercutio in the 1996 film _Romeo + Juliet (1996)_ (qv). He later got his chance to work with "Romeo" director 'Baz Luhrmann' (qv) when he was cast as Christian in _Moulin Rouge! (2001)_ (qv).
- Resides in North London with his family.