84 (passed away Jul. 22nd, 2008)
Jul. 25th, 1923
New York City, New York, USA
4' 10 1/2
Estelle Getty's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles1999 - Stuart Little
1992 - Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot
1987 - Mannequin
1985 - Mask
1982 - Tootsie
Guest TV Roles
Aunt Jane (Voiced)
Estelle Getty began her acting career in 1978 with Team-Mates (1978). She also had short roles in two critically acclaimed classics, Tootsie (1982) and Mask (1985). In 1985, Estelle began acting in "The Golden Girls" (1985), with Bea Arthur, Betty White (I), and Rue McClanahan. The successful show won two Emmys for outstanding television series, and Estelle herself won an Emmy in 1988. Among other things she's done in TV is playing Sophia Petrillo in shows several times, "The Golden Palace" (1992) and "Empty Nest" (1988) among them. Most recently, Estelle has been in the family film Stuart Little (1999) and playing "Hollywood Squares" (1998).
- Passed away only three days before her 85th birthday.
- She had two children with her late husband Arthur Gettleman: sons 'Carl Gettleman' and 'Barry Gettleman' (qv).
- Was a strong supporter of gay rights.
- Played the same character, Sophia Spirelli Petrillo-Weinstock, on five different TV series: _"The Golden Palace" (1992)_ (qv), _"The Golden Girls" (1985)_ (qv), _"Nurses" (1991)_ (qv), _"Empty Nest" (1988)_ (qv), and _"Blossom" (1991)_ (qv).
- Her nephew Stephen died from AIDS in January 1992 at the age of 29.
- Retired in 2000 after revealing she had health issues. In the mid 1990s, she was misdiagnosed with Parkinson's disease. By the end of the 1990s, she was misdiagnosed again, this time with Alzheimer's disease. Later, she was correctly diagnosed with Lewy Body Dementia, which has similar symptoms to both Parkinson's and Alzheimer's diseases.
- Was nicknamed "Slats" by her Golden Girls costars because of her short height and light weight.
- Was born to Polish immigrants. Has a brother David and a sister Rosilyn.