Jun. 21st, 1978
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Erica Durance's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2006 - The Butterfly Effect 2
2003 - House of the Dead
Guest TV Roles
Erica Durance (born June 21, 1978) is a Canadian actress and producer. She is perhaps best known for her role as Lois Lane in the WB/CW series Smallville.
Durance was born in Calgary, Alberta, to a truck driver, Joel, and librarian, Gail. Durance grew up with an older brother and sister on a turkey farm in Three Hills, Alberta. After graduating from high school, Durance moved to Vancouver, British Columbia, to pursue her interest in acting professionally. "I wanted to get my feet wet in a smaller area than Los Angeles when I gave it a try", Durance has said. She continued to study acting at The Yaletown Actors Lab for many years with her husband, David Palffy. She started out with background work, graduating to commercials and then guest-starring roles, landing more substantial roles each time.
In 2003, she was in House of the Dead which features her first and only nude scene and in 2004, she guest-starred on The Chris Isaak Show playing Ashley, a woman on a date with Chris. In Tru Calling, her character was a contender in a beauty pageant opposite Eliza Dushku's character. On the Sci-Fi Channel, she played an intergalactic librarian in Andromeda and a love interest for Teal'c in Stargate SG-1. She also played a sister to one of the leads in the Canadian show The Collector.
In 2004, Durance was cast as Lois Lane on Smallville at the start of the 4th season. Executive Producer Kelly Souders recalled hiring Durance stating: "There were a lot of wonderful actresses who came in for the role but I remember sitting and watching her tape and everybody was like, 'That’s her. There's no question'". Fellow producer Brian Peterson added that from the moment Durance was hired they knew she would be Lois for the series. Durance was a frequent guest star as Lois for the 4th season of Smallville and was then promoted as a series regular for the start of the 5th season. She remained part of the regular cast for the remainder of the series run which ended in 2011.
After 7 years, Durance complete her stint on Smallville as Lois Lane and at the same time guest star in one episode of the cancelled ABC show remake of Charlie's Angels.
In January 2012, she guest starred again, this time in the NBC TV series Harry's Law. Also in 2012 Durance did a cameo in Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie.
In the summer of 2012, Durance began playing the lead role in the NBC/CTV medical drama Saving Hope, where she is also a producer. The series also stars Michael Shanks and Daniel Gillies. Saving Hope premiered on NBC and CTV on June 7. Season 2 began on June 25 2013.
BuddyTv ranked Durance #26 on its TV's 100 Sexiest Women of 2009 list. BuddyTV ranked her #16 on its TV's 100 Sexiest Women of 2010 list.
On February 24, 2011 Durance was nominated for a Saturn Award for Best Actress in a Television series for her work in Smallville. This was followed up with a Teen Choice Award nomination for best actress in a Fantasy/Sci-Fi show.
In their special issue on the week of May 25, 2012, Canadian edition of Hello listed Durance as one of Canada's 50 Most Beautiful People.
On May 30, BuddyTV ranked Durance #9 on their list of Summer 2012's Hottest Women of TV.
After her first marriage she was credited as Erica Parker, but changed it back as soon as she got divorced. Durance married Canadian actor, writer and director David Palffy (January 8, 2005). Durance has a teenage stepson named Lazslo from a previous relationship of her husband's.
- Good friends with 'Jeph Loeb' (qv). Jeph says that Erica is great as "Lois Lane" and he had a lot to do with her getting hired for the role. They stayed friends even after he left _"Smallville" (2001)_ (qv).
- Trained with a friend who is an exotic dancer to prepare for her role in a _"Smallville" (2001)_ (qv) episode where "Lois Lane" plays a stripper.
- Big fan of the Christopher Reeve "Superman" films.
- In 2006, she and Jeph Loeb co-hosted the WWC: Sam Loeb College Scholarship Fund Charity Auction with all the proceeds going to the Sam Loeb College Scholarship Fund at the Wizard World convention in Chicago. The auction raised $72,000 and Erica also refused the offer of $15,000 for her appearance, and instead donated the money towards the auction and did the event for free.
- Loves being a step-mom, is very close to her step-son and wants to have her own kids someday.
- Gave a brief tribute to 'Dana Reeve' (qv), who passed away March 6, 2006 after a _"Smallville" (2001)_ (qv) episode.
- Ranked #15 in FHM Online's "100 Sexiest Women in the World 2008" supplement. (2008).
- Posed for the '2007 Women of Sci-Fi' Calender which was produced by Christopher Judge (who was also the photographer) and Michael Shanks.