Sep. 30th, 1961
Whittier, California, USA
Eric Stoltz's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Eric Stoltz (born September 30, 1961) is an American actor, director and producer.
Born in Whittier, California, the son of Evelyn B. (née Vawter), a violinist and schoolteacher who died in 1994, and Jack Stoltz, an elementary school teacher. He has two sisters, mezzo soprano Catherine Stoltz and writer Susan R. Stoltz. He was raised in both American Samoa and Santa Barbara, California, where as a child, he once earned money playing piano for local musical theatre productions. He attended the University of Southern California, but dropped out after his junior year. When he moved to New York for his studies in 1981, he met Stella Adler and Peggy Feury.
In the 1980s he garnered attention and a Golden Globe Nomination starring as Rocky Dennis in Mask (1985), and in 'John Hughes' Some Kind of Wonderful (1987).
In 1988, he made his Broadway debut in Our Town (1989), for which he was nominated for a Tony Award. In the 1990's he went back and forth from stage to film, building up an eclectic resume that included studio films Pulp Fiction (1994), independent films, Sundance Festival Winner The Waterdance (1992)), and films that he himself produced Mr. Jealousy (1997). He also continued to appear on the New York Stage both on Broadway (Three Sisters, Two Shakespearean Actors) and off-Broadway (The Importance of Being Ernest, The Glass Menagerie).
He continues to work in television as well, doing a recurring role as 'Helen Hunt' ex on Mad About You (1992), a year on Chicago Hope (1994), and in the tv and cable movies Inside (1996) directed by 'Arthur Penn', A Killer in the Family (1983) with 'Robert Mitchum' and The Passion of Ayn Rand (1999) with 'Helen Mirren'.
Stoltz lives in New Mexico, and has been romantically linked to 'Ally Sheedy', 'Jennifer Jason Leigh', 'Lili Taylor', 'Bridget Fonda', and in the summer of 1999 during the shooting of The House of Mirth (2000) the Australian actress 'Rachel Griffiths'.
- Member of the Actors Studio.
- Worked as a production assistant on the films _Say Anything... (1989)_ (qv) and _Illegally Yours (1988)_ (qv) to learn from the famed first assistant director 'Jerry Ziesmer' (qv) about the production side of film making.
- He was cast as Marty McFly in _Back to the Future (1985)_ (qv) after 'Robert Zemeckis' (qv) and 'Bob Gale' (qv) were unable to get 'Michael J. Fox (I)' (qv), their first choice for the part due to scheduling conflicts. After filming for six weeks, he was let go from the film because 'Robert Zemeckis' (qv) and 'Bob Gale' (qv) felt he was "too intense" for the character. 'Michael J. Fox (I)' (qv), who was then available, took over the part.
- (1985-1989) Dated 'Jennifer Jason Leigh' (qv). They both appeared in _Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)_ (qv) and _Sister, Sister (1987)_ (qv).
- (1980-1983) Lived with 'Ally Sheedy' (qv) (they met in college). They both appeared in _Our Guys: Outrage at Glen Ridge (1999) (TV)_ (qv).
- Spent three months in a wheelchair in preparation for his role in the film "The Waterdance".
- Is a vegetarian.
- (1990-1998) Lived with 'Bridget Fonda' (qv). They both starred in _Singles (1992)_ (qv), _Bodies, Rest & Motion (1993)_ (qv), _Grace of My Heart (1996)_ (qv) and _Mr. Jealousy (1997)_ (qv).