42 (passed away Aug. 16th, 1977)
Jan. 8th, 1935
Tupelo, Mississippi, USA
Elvis Presley's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2009 - When You're Strange
2008 - Cadillac Records
2003 - Hey DJ
2002 - Standing in the Shadows of Motown
1999 - Life
1999 - Summer of Sam
1994 - Forrest Gump
1989 - Heavy Petting
1984 - The Compleat Beatles
1972 - Elvis on Tour
1970 - Elvis: That's the Way It Is
1969 - Change of Habit
1969 - The Trouble with Girls
1968 - Speedway
1968 - Live a Little, Love a Little
1967 - Double Trouble
1967 - Clambake
1966 - Spinout
1966 - Paradise, Hawaiian Style
1966 - Frankie and Johnny
1965 - Harum Scarum
1965 - Tickle Me
1965 - Girl Happy
1964 - Kissin' Cousins
1964 - Viva Las Vegas
1964 - Roustabout
1963 - Fun in Acapulco
1963 - It Happened at the World's Fair
1962 - Girls! Girls! Girls!
1962 - Follow That Dream
1962 - Kid Galahad
1961 - Blue Hawaii
1960 - G.I. Blues
1960 - Flaming Star
1958 - King Creole
1957 - Loving You
1956 - Love Me Tender
Guest TV Roles
Elvis Aaron Presley was born on January 8, 1935 in East Tupelo, Mississippi. In September 1948 when Elvis was 13, he and his parents moved to Memphis, Tennessee. After graduating from Humes High School in Memphis, Elvis took odd jobs working as a movie theater usher and a truck driver for Crown Electric Company. He began singing locally as "The Hillbilly Cat", then signed with a local recording company, then in 1955 with RCA. He did much to establish early rock and roll music, bringing black blues singing into the white, teenage mainstream. Teenage girls became hysterical over his blatantly sexual gyrations, particularly the one that got him nicknamed "Elvis the Pelvis" (TV cameras were not permitted to film below his waist). At the time of his death, he had sold over 600-million singles and albums.
In 1956 following his 6 TV appearances on The Dorsey Brothers'" Stage Show" , Elvis was cast in his first acting role in a supporting part in Love Me Tender (1956), the first of 33 movies he starred in. Critics blasted most of his films, but they did very well at the box-office earning upwards of $150 million total. Elvis's military service in the late 1950s and the "British invasion" of the 1960s reduced his concerts, though not his movie/recording income. Through the 1960s, Elvis settled in Hollywood where he starred in over 20 movies, acting alongside some of the most well known character actors in Hollywood.
Elvis made a comeback in the 1970s with live concert appearances starting in early 1970 in Las Vegas with over 57 sold-out shows. Elvis toured throughout the USA appearing on-stage in over 500 live appearances, many of them sold out shows. But the stress of constantly traveling as well as his increasing weight gain and dependence upon stimulants and depressants took their toll. Elvis Presley died on August 16, 1977 at his mansion in Graceland, near Memphis at age 42. Since his death, his Memphis home Graceland has become a shrine for millions of followers worldwide. Elvis impersonators and purported sightings have become stock subjects for humorists.
- His tombstone gives his name as "Elvis Aaron Presley", whereas he was in fact named "Elvis Aron Presley". Although this fueled conspiracy theories that he had faked his death, it is generally believed he changed his middle name so it would be the same as the Biblical Aaron.
- In 2007 the National Rifle Association (NRA) released an Elvis Presley Tribute Revolver, officially authorized by his estate.
- Was originally considered for the 'Kris Kristofferson (I)' (qv) role in _A Star Is Born (1976)_ (qv), but Elvis turned it down because manager 'Tom Parker (XI)' (qv) refused him permission to act in a movie where he wouldn't have top billing. Also, he didn't like the fact that the producer, 'Jon Peters (I)' (qv), was completely unknown.
- Most of the films he starred in were not critically acclaimed - although he received good reviews for _Flaming Star (1960)_ (qv) and _King Creole (1958)_ (qv) - but only _Wild in the Country (1961)_ (qv) failed to get its money back.
- Twin brother Jesse Garon Presley died at birth (Elvis was delivered 35 minutes later).
- Is portrayed by 'Michael St. Gerard' (qv) in _Great Balls of Fire! (1989)_ (qv)
- He did not pass an audition for CBS TV's "Talent Scouts" (March 1955) just 9 months before his successful debut on "Stage Show" on the same network.
- He unsuccessfully auditioned for CBS TV's " "Talent Scouts" (March 1955) nine months before his successful debut on "Stage Show".