42 (passed away Aug. 16th, 1977)
Jan. 8th, 1935
Tupelo, Mississippi, USA
Elvis Presley's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2009 - When You're Strange
2008 - Cadillac Records
2003 - Hey DJ
2002 - Standing in the Shadows of Motown
1999 - Life
1999 - Summer of Sam
1994 - Forrest Gump
1989 - Heavy Petting
1984 - The Compleat Beatles
1972 - Elvis on Tour
1970 - Elvis: That's the Way It Is
1969 - Change of Habit
1969 - The Trouble with Girls
1968 - Speedway
1968 - Live a Little, Love a Little
1967 - Double Trouble
1967 - Clambake
1966 - Spinout
1966 - Paradise, Hawaiian Style
1966 - Frankie and Johnny
1965 - Harum Scarum
1965 - Tickle Me
1965 - Girl Happy
1964 - Kissin' Cousins
1964 - Viva Las Vegas
1964 - Roustabout
1963 - Fun in Acapulco
1963 - It Happened at the World's Fair
1962 - Girls! Girls! Girls!
1962 - Follow That Dream
1962 - Kid Galahad
1961 - Blue Hawaii
1960 - G.I. Blues
1960 - Flaming Star
1958 - King Creole
1957 - Loving You
1956 - Love Me Tender
Guest TV Roles
Elvis Aaron Presley was born on January 8, 1935 in East Tupelo, Mississippi. In September 1948 when Elvis was 13, he and his parents moved to Memphis, Tennessee. After graduating from Humes High School in Memphis, Elvis took odd jobs working as a movie theater usher and a truck driver for Crown Electric Company. He began singing locally as "The Hillbilly Cat", then signed with a local recording company, then in 1955 with RCA. He did much to establish early rock and roll music, bringing black blues singing into the white, teenage mainstream. Teenage girls became hysterical over his blatantly sexual gyrations, particularly the one that got him nicknamed "Elvis the Pelvis" (TV cameras were not permitted to film below his waist). At the time of his death, he had sold over 600-million singles and albums.
In 1956 following his 6 TV appearances on The Dorsey Brothers'" Stage Show" , Elvis was cast in his first acting role in a supporting part in Love Me Tender (1956), the first of 33 movies he starred in. Critics blasted most of his films, but they did very well at the box-office earning upwards of $150 million total. Elvis's military service in the late 1950s and the "British invasion" of the 1960s reduced his concerts, though not his movie/recording income. Through the 1960s, Elvis settled in Hollywood where he starred in over 20 movies, acting alongside some of the most well known character actors in Hollywood.
Elvis made a comeback in the 1970s with live concert appearances starting in early 1970 in Las Vegas with over 57 sold-out shows. Elvis toured throughout the USA appearing on-stage in over 500 live appearances, many of them sold out shows. But the stress of constantly traveling as well as his increasing weight gain and dependence upon stimulants and depressants took their toll. Elvis Presley died on August 16, 1977 at his mansion in Graceland, near Memphis at age 42. Since his death, his Memphis home Graceland has become a shrine for millions of followers worldwide. Elvis impersonators and purported sightings have become stock subjects for humorists.
- He named his favorite films as: _Rebel Without a Cause (1955)_ (qv), _A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)_ (qv) and _Dirty Harry (1971)_ (qv).
- More people watched _Elvis: Aloha from Hawaii (1973) (TV)_ (qv) (live via satellite TV broadcast) than watched 'Neil Armstrong (I)' (qv) walk on the moon.
- He was planning his first ever European tour in 1978.
- Won three Grammy Awards, all for his Gospel music.
- One of his biggest hit songs, "Are You Lonesome Tonight?", was actually written in 1926 and recorded by 'Al Jolson' (qv) in 1950, just before Jolson's death that same year.
- Honorary Member of Tau Kappa Epsilon Fraternity.
- Shown on a 5.50 kr postage stamp issued by Sweden in 2004.
- Held a single day's attendance record for his march 74 shows at the Houston Astrodome in march '74 -- 89,000 fans for two shows.