42 (passed away Aug. 16th, 1977)
Jan. 8th, 1935
Tupelo, Mississippi, USA
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Entertainer
Elvis Aaron Presley (born January 8, 1935) in East Tupelo, Mississippi. In September 1948 when Elvis was 13, he and his parents moved to Memphis, Tennessee. After graduating from Humes High School in Memphis, Elvis took odd jobs working as a movie theater usher and a truck driver for Crown Electric Company. He began singing locally as "The Hillbilly Cat", then signed with a local recording company, then in 1955 with RCA. He did much to establish early rock and roll music, bringing black blues singing into the white, teenage mainstream. Teenage girls became hysterical over his blatantly sexual gyrations, particularly the one that got him nicknamed "Elvis the Pelvis" (TV cameras were not permitted to film below his waist). At the time of his death, he had sold over 600-million singles and albums.
In 1956 following his 6 TV appearances on The Dorsey Brothers'" Stage Show" , Elvis was cast in his first acting role in a supporting part in Love Me Tender (1956), the first of 33 movies he starred in. Critics blasted most of his films, but they did very well at the box-office earning upwards of $150 million total. Elvis's military service in the late 1950s and the "British invasion" of the 1960s reduced his concerts, though not his movie/recording income. Through the 1960s, Elvis settled in Hollywood where he starred in over 20 movies, acting alongside some of the most well known character actors in Hollywood.
Elvis made a comeback in the 1970s with live concert appearances starting in early 1970 in Las Vegas with over 57 sold-out shows. Elvis toured throughout the USA appearing on-stage in over 500 live appearances, many of them sold out shows. But the stress of constantly traveling as well as his increasing weight gain and dependence upon stimulants and depressants took their toll. Elvis Presley died on August 16, 1977 at his mansion in Graceland, near Memphis at age 42. Since his death, his Memphis home Graceland has become a shrine for millions of followers worldwide. Elvis impersonators and purported sightings have become stock subjects for humorists.
- Had glaucoma in the 1970s.
- A remix of his song "A Little Less Conversation" which was featured on the soundtrack to the film _Ocean's Eleven (2001)_ (qv) became a Billboard #1 hit single over twenty years after Presley's death.
- He was good friends with 'Johnny Cash (I)' (qv), going back to their Sun Records days.
- He was offered a role in the animated film _Gay Purr-ee (1962)_ (qv).
- His records have spent a total of 79 weeks at the #1 position in the US.
- He is no relation to Reg Presley (b: Reginald Maurice Ball) the lead singer of the popular British rock band "The Troggs", who had 2 million sellers of their own, with the standards "Wild Thing" (1966) and "Love Is All Around"(1968).
- The last film he saw at the cinema was _The Spy Who Loved Me (1977)_ (qv).
- Spoofed in 'Eminem' (qv)'s music video "Without me"