42 (passed away Aug. 16th, 1977)
Jan. 8th, 1935
Tupelo, Mississippi, USA
Elvis Presley's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Elvis Aaron Presley (born January 8, 1935) in East Tupelo, Mississippi. In September 1948 when Elvis was 13, he and his parents moved to Memphis, Tennessee. After graduating from Humes High School in Memphis, Elvis took odd jobs working as a movie theater usher and a truck driver for Crown Electric Company. He began singing locally as "The Hillbilly Cat", then signed with a local recording company, then in 1955 with RCA. He did much to establish early rock and roll music, bringing black blues singing into the white, teenage mainstream. Teenage girls became hysterical over his blatantly sexual gyrations, particularly the one that got him nicknamed "Elvis the Pelvis" (TV cameras were not permitted to film below his waist). At the time of his death, he had sold over 600-million singles and albums.
In 1956 following his 6 TV appearances on The Dorsey Brothers'" Stage Show" , Elvis was cast in his first acting role in a supporting part in Love Me Tender (1956), the first of 33 movies he starred in. Critics blasted most of his films, but they did very well at the box-office earning upwards of $150 million total. Elvis's military service in the late 1950s and the "British invasion" of the 1960s reduced his concerts, though not his movie/recording income. Through the 1960s, Elvis settled in Hollywood where he starred in over 20 movies, acting alongside some of the most well known character actors in Hollywood.
Elvis made a comeback in the 1970s with live concert appearances starting in early 1970 in Las Vegas with over 57 sold-out shows. Elvis toured throughout the USA appearing on-stage in over 500 live appearances, many of them sold out shows. But the stress of constantly traveling as well as his increasing weight gain and dependence upon stimulants and depressants took their toll. Elvis Presley died on August 16, 1977 at his mansion in Graceland, near Memphis at age 42. Since his death, his Memphis home Graceland has become a shrine for millions of followers worldwide. Elvis impersonators and purported sightings have become stock subjects for humorists.
- Died with about $5 million in his bank account.
- 'Barbra Streisand' (qv) originally wanted Elvis to play the role of John Norman Howard in _A Star Is Born (1976)_ (qv), but the studio couldn't meet 'Tom Parker (XI)' (qv)'s demands ($1 million plus equal billing with Streisand).
- Between 1957 and 1969, he performed only two concerts and made just two television appearances.
- Following a concert in Hawaii in 1961, Presley concentrated on making movies and he did not perform before a live audience again for seven years until his 1968 TV Special and subsequent return to Las Vegas in 1969.
- Shown on a 5.50 kr postage stamp issued by Sweden in 2004.
- His personal entourage were known as the "Memphis Mafia", and were given matching rings by Elvis. The diamond and gold rings sported a thunderbolt and the letters "TCB" (reportedly standing for "Take Care of Business"). Elvis was buried wearing one of the rings.
- His favorite sports were raquetball and football.
- He used to play touch football at Whitehaven High School during the '60s and early '70s with kids around the neighborhood.