Oct. 6th, 1963
Wilmington, Delaware, USA
Elisabeth Shue's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Elisabeth Shue being born into a well-established and well-educated family doesn't necessarily mean much. Despite such family accolades, Shue's parents divorced while she was in the fourth grade. Owing to the occupational demands of her parents, Shue and her siblings found plenty of time to get into trouble in their suburban neighborhood, but Shue soon enrolled in Wellesley College, an all-female institution which kept her out of trouble.
During her studies, she found a way to make a little extra money by acting in television commercials. Shue became a common sight in ads for Burger King, DeBeers diamonds, and Hellman's mayonnaise. In 1984, she landed a role in the The Karate Kid (1984) as the on-screen girlfriend of 'Ralph Macchio' and a role as the teenage daughter of a military family in the short-lived series Call to Glory (1984). At this time, Shue got herself an acting coach and transferred to Harvard, where she began studying political science.
Shue continued her acting work with Adventures in Babysitting (1987), Cocktail (1988), Soapdish (1991) and The Marrying Man (1991). Unfortunately, time was catching up with the impressive girl-next-door. Her brother 'Andrew Shue' had almost eclipsed her own fame by landing a starring role in the hit TV series Melrose Place (1992). It was at this time that Shue took a chance on a low-budget, high-risk project entitled Leaving Las Vegas (1995), directed by 'Mike Figgis'. Her gutsy portrayal of a prostitute mixed up with a suicidal alcoholic paid off as she was recognized with a Best Actress nomination at the Academy Awards that year. This was the turning point of her career. What followed was a barrage of film roles, including The Saint (1997), Woody Allen's Deconstructing Harry (1997), Palmetto (1998) and Hollow Man (2000).
Over forty years of age, Shue still continues to impress with a variety of film and television roles that show off her versatility as an actress and not just her good looks and girl-next-door persona.
- Named her son after her late brother, William, who died in 1988 at the age of 26 from a freak swimming accident while on family vacation.
- (11 November 1997) Son, Miles William, with 'Davis Guggenheim' (qv) was born.
- The 2007 film _Gracie (2007)_ (qv) is based upon events that occurred in her and her brother 'Andrew Shue' (qv)'s lives.
- Elisabeth and Davis became the parents of their third child, a daughter named Agnes Charles Guggenheim, on June 18, 2006.
- She has played 2 characters that have the last name McKay: Linda McKay in _Hollow Man (2000)_ (qv) and Molly McKay in _Molly (1999)_ (qv).
- Sister-in-law of 'Jonathan Guggenheim (I)' (qv) and 'Grace Guggenheim' (qv).
- (19 March 2001) Daughter, Stella Street, was born weighing 6 lbs. 7 oz.
- Daughter-in-law of 'Charles Guggenheim' (qv) and 'Marion Guggenheim' (qv).