Oct. 6th, 1963
Wilmington, Delaware, USA
Elisabeth Shue's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Elisabeth Shue being born into a well-established and well-educated family doesn't necessarily mean much. Despite such family accolades, Shue's parents divorced while she was in the fourth grade. Owing to the occupational demands of her parents, Shue and her siblings found plenty of time to get into trouble in their suburban neighborhood, but Shue soon enrolled in Wellesley College, an all-female institution which kept her out of trouble.
During her studies, she found a way to make a little extra money by acting in television commercials. Shue became a common sight in ads for Burger King, DeBeers diamonds, and Hellman's mayonnaise. In 1984, she landed a role in the The Karate Kid (1984) as the on-screen girlfriend of 'Ralph Macchio' and a role as the teenage daughter of a military family in the short-lived series Call to Glory (1984). At this time, Shue got herself an acting coach and transferred to Harvard, where she began studying political science.
Shue continued her acting work with Adventures in Babysitting (1987), Cocktail (1988), Soapdish (1991) and The Marrying Man (1991). Unfortunately, time was catching up with the impressive girl-next-door. Her brother 'Andrew Shue' had almost eclipsed her own fame by landing a starring role in the hit TV series Melrose Place (1992). It was at this time that Shue took a chance on a low-budget, high-risk project entitled Leaving Las Vegas (1995), directed by 'Mike Figgis'. Her gutsy portrayal of a prostitute mixed up with a suicidal alcoholic paid off as she was recognized with a Best Actress nomination at the Academy Awards that year. This was the turning point of her career. What followed was a barrage of film roles, including The Saint (1997), Woody Allen's Deconstructing Harry (1997), Palmetto (1998) and Hollow Man (2000).
Over forty years of age, Shue still continues to impress with a variety of film and television roles that show off her versatility as an actress and not just her good looks and girl-next-door persona.
- The 2007 film _Gracie (2007)_ (qv) is based upon events that occurred in her and her brother 'Andrew Shue' (qv)'s lives.
- Sister of 'Andrew Shue' (qv).
- Auditioned for the 'Sherilyn Fenn' (qv) role in _Of Mice and Men (1992)_ (qv).
- (11 November 1997) Son, Miles William, with 'Davis Guggenheim' (qv) was born.
- Got started in commercials as "The Burger King Girl.".
- Sister-in-law of 'Jonathan Guggenheim (I)' (qv) and 'Grace Guggenheim' (qv).
- She was amongst the final candidates for the female lead in _Say Anything... (1989)_ (qv). According to director 'Cameron Crowe (I)' (qv), "Elisabeth Shue did an amazing version of the graduation speech". 'Jennifer Connelly' (qv) was runner-up to 'Ione Skye' (qv), who got the role in the end.
- Was cast as the female lead in the 'Jim Carrey' (qv) movie _The Number 23 (2007)_ (qv) but had to drop out just weeks before shooting because of her pregnancy. Shue was replaced by 'Virginia Madsen' (qv).