Nov. 15th, 1929
Kansas City, Kansas, USA
Edward Asner's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2013 - Casting By
2009 - Up
2008 - Christmas Cottage
2008 - Gigantic
2005 - Sir! No Sir!
2003 - Elf
2001 - The Animal
1999 - The Bachelor
1998 - Hard Rain
1991 - JFK
1988 - Moon Over Parador
1987 - Pinocchio and the Emperor of the Night
1981 - Fort Apache the Bronx
1976 - Gus
1971 - Skin Game
1969 - Change of Habit
1966 - El Dorado
1965 - The Satan Bug
1962 - Kid Galahad
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Performer
Edward Asner (born November 15, 1929), commonly known as Ed Asner, is an American film, television, stage, and voice actor and former president of the Screen Actors Guild, primarily known for his role as Lou Grant on The Mary Tyler Moore Show and its spin-off series, Lou Grant. More recently, he provided the voice of Carl Fredricksen in Pixar's award-winning animated film, Up.
- Father-in-law of 'Jules Asner' (qv) from 1992 to 1996.
- Engaged to 'Cindy Gilmore' (qv) in 1991.
- Father of 'Matthew Asner' (qv) and 'Kate Asner' (qv).
- Only actor to win Emmys for playing the same character (Lou Grant) in both a comedy (_"Mary Tyler Moore" (1970)_ (qv)) and a drama (_"Lou Grant" (1977)_ (qv)).
- His wife's nephew, 'Gavin Newsom' (qv), was elected mayor of San Francisco in 2003.
- On October 6th & 7th, 2001, he attended the "Hollywood Collectors & Celebrities Show", at Beverly Garland's Holiday Inn, in North Hollywood, California.
- Is the parent of a child with autism.
- Has played Santa Claus four times; in _Elf (2003)_ (qv), _"The Ellen Show" (2001)_ (qv), _Olive, the Other Reindeer (1999) (TV)_ (qv), and _The Story of Santa Claus (1996) (TV)_ (qv).