Nov. 15th, 1929
Kansas City, Kansas, USA
Edward Asner's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Edward Asner (born November 15, 1929), commonly known as Ed Asner, is an American film, television, stage, and voice actor and former president of the Screen Actors Guild, primarily known for his role as Lou Grant on The Mary Tyler Moore Show and its spin-off series, Lou Grant. More recently, he provided the voice of Carl Fredricksen in Pixar's award-winning animated film, Up.
- Father-in-law of 'Jules Asner' (qv) from 1992 to 1996.
- Credited as assisted in funding for _Roger & Me (1989)_ (qv).
- On October 6th & 7th, 2001, he attended the "Hollywood Collectors & Celebrities Show", at Beverly Garland's Holiday Inn, in North Hollywood, California.
- (1981-1985) President of Screen Actors Guild (SAG).
- Only actor to win Emmys for playing the same character (Lou Grant) in both a comedy (_"Mary Tyler Moore" (1970)_ (qv)) and a drama (_"Lou Grant" (1977)_ (qv)).
- Was raised in an Orthodox Jewish family.
- Engaged to 'Cindy Gilmore' (qv) in 1991.
- Has been a longtime supporter and admirer of the convicted, alleged cop murderer, Black Panther and radical activist 'Mumia Abu-Jamal' (qv). He believes in 'Mumia Abu-Jamal' (qv)'s innocence and has long opposed the death penalty.