Nov. 15th, 1929
Kansas City, Kansas, USA
Edward Asner's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Edward Asner (born November 15, 1929), commonly known as Ed Asner, is an American film, television, stage, and voice actor and former president of the Screen Actors Guild, primarily known for his role as Lou Grant on The Mary Tyler Moore Show and its spin-off series, Lou Grant. More recently, he provided the voice of Carl Fredricksen in Pixar's award-winning animated film, Up.
- Only actor to win Emmys for playing the same character (Lou Grant) in both a comedy (_"Mary Tyler Moore" (1970)_ (qv)) and a drama (_"Lou Grant" (1977)_ (qv)).
- Has played Santa Claus four times; in _Elf (2003)_ (qv), _"The Ellen Show" (2001)_ (qv), _Olive, the Other Reindeer (1999) (TV)_ (qv), and _The Story of Santa Claus (1996) (TV)_ (qv).
- (1981-1985) President of Screen Actors Guild (SAG).
- Announced the news of 'Steve Ihnat' (qv)'s sudden death (in Cannes, France) on the Emmy telecast.
- His wife's nephew, 'Gavin Newsom' (qv), was elected mayor of San Francisco in 2003.
- Father-in-law of 'Jules Asner' (qv) from 1992 to 1996.
- Father of 'Matthew Asner' (qv) and 'Kate Asner' (qv).
- Has won more Emmys, 7, as an actor than any other male performer.