Nov. 15th, 1929
Kansas City, Kansas, USA
Edward Asner's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Edward Asner (born November 15, 1929), commonly known as Ed Asner, is an American film, television, stage, and voice actor and former president of the Screen Actors Guild, primarily known for his role as Lou Grant on The Mary Tyler Moore Show and its spin-off series, Lou Grant. More recently, he provided the voice of Carl Fredricksen in Pixar's award-winning animated film, Up.
- Has won more Emmys, 7, as an actor than any other male performer.
- Is the parent of a child with autism.
- Has been a longtime supporter and admirer of the convicted, alleged cop murderer, Black Panther and radical activist 'Mumia Abu-Jamal' (qv). He believes in 'Mumia Abu-Jamal' (qv)'s innocence and has long opposed the death penalty.
- On October 6th & 7th, 2001, he attended the "Hollywood Collectors & Celebrities Show", at Beverly Garland's Holiday Inn, in North Hollywood, California.
- Has played Santa Claus four times; in _Elf (2003)_ (qv), _"The Ellen Show" (2001)_ (qv), _Olive, the Other Reindeer (1999) (TV)_ (qv), and _The Story of Santa Claus (1996) (TV)_ (qv).
- His wife's nephew, 'Gavin Newsom' (qv), was elected mayor of San Francisco in 2003.
- Announced the news of 'Steve Ihnat' (qv)'s sudden death (in Cannes, France) on the Emmy telecast.
- He had a son, Charles, in 1987 with Carol Jean Vogelman.