Apr. 12th, 1946
Youngstown, Ohio, USA
Ed O'Neill's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
O'Neill was born into an Irish Catholic family in Youngstown, Ohio. His mother, Ruth Ann (née Quinlan), was a homemaker and social worker, and his father, Edward Phillip O'Neill, was a steel mill worker and truck driver. O'Neill attended Ursuline High School and won a football scholarship to Ohio University, where he majored in history. O'Neill left Ohio after his sophomore year: he spent more time playing sports and partying than studying and also feuded with his coach. He transferred to Youngstown State University, where he was a defensive lineman.O'Neill was signed by the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1969, but was cut in training camp. Later, on Married... with Children, O'Neill played a former high-school football star who had failed to make it big and constantly reminisced about his "glory days" at Polk High ("I once scored four touchdowns in a single game"). As part of this theme, former Pittsburgh Steelers great and hall of fame quarterback Terry Bradshaw also made two guest appearances on the show. O'Neill was also a social studies teacher at Ursuline High School, before becoming an actor.
- Plays handball.
- He graduated from Ursuline High School
- O'Neill was signed by the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1969 as an outside linebacker. He was released before the start of the 1969 regular season.
- Has two young daughters.
- Expected _"Married with Children" (1987)_ (qv) to be canceled within the first 6 episodes.
- Learned (and still practices) Brazilian Ju-Jitsu from the famous Gracie family.
- Taught Social Studies in Youngstown before acting.
- In 2007 Ed earned his black belt in Brazilian Ju-Jitsu after 15 years of training.