Apr. 12th, 1946
Youngstown, Ohio, USA
Ed O'Neill's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2012 - Wreck-It Ralph
2010 - Youngstown: Still Standing
2008 - Redbelt
2004 - Spartan
2000 - Lucky Numbers
1999 - The Bone Collector
1997 - Prefontaine
1994 - Blue Chips
1994 - Little Giants
1991 - Dutch
1990 - The Adventures of Ford Fairlane
1989 - K-9
1989 - Disorganized Crime
1980 - Cruising
1972 - Deliverance
Guest TV Roles[none found]
O'Neill was born into an Irish Catholic family in Youngstown, Ohio. His mother, Ruth Ann (née Quinlan), was a homemaker and social worker, and his father, Edward Phillip O'Neill, was a steel mill worker and truck driver. O'Neill attended Ursuline High School and won a football scholarship to Ohio University, where he majored in history. O'Neill left Ohio after his sophomore year: he spent more time playing sports and partying than studying and also feuded with his coach. He transferred to Youngstown State University, where he was a defensive lineman.O'Neill was signed by the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1969, but was cut in training camp. Later, on Married... with Children, O'Neill played a former high-school football star who had failed to make it big and constantly reminisced about his "glory days" at Polk High ("I once scored four touchdowns in a single game"). As part of this theme, former Pittsburgh Steelers great and hall of fame quarterback Terry Bradshaw also made two guest appearances on the show. O'Neill was also a social studies teacher at Ursuline High School, before becoming an actor.
- Often plays cops on TV shows or movies. On an episode of _"Married with Children" (1987)_ (qv), he dreamed that he was a detective.
- The first actor from Fox to host _"Saturday Night Live" (1975)_ (qv) in 1990; three years later his _"Married with Children" (1987)_ (qv) co-star, 'Christina Applegate' (qv) hosted the show.
- Plays handball.
- Was considered for the role of patriarch "Steven Keaton" in _"Family Ties" (1982)_ (qv); the role went to 'Michael Gross (I)' (qv) instead.
- Invented the popular sandwich called the "Boone" at the famous Se-port Deli in Setauket, New York.
- He graduated from Ursuline High School
- In 2007 Ed earned his black belt in Brazilian Ju-Jitsu after 15 years of training.
- Learned (and still practices) Brazilian Ju-Jitsu from the famous Gracie family.