Aug. 8th, 1937
Los Angeles, California, USA
5' 5 1/2"
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Actor (segment "Dame Maggie")
Mr. Bergstrom (Voiced)
Graduated from Los Angeles High School in 1955. Went to Santa Monica City College where he dropped out after a year due to bad grades. But before he did, he took an acting course because he was told that "nobody flunks acting." Also received some training at Los Angeles Conservatory of Music. Decided to go into acting because he did not want to work or go into the service. Trained at The Pasadena Playhouse for two years.
- As roommates, Hoffman and 'Gene Hackman' (qv) would often go to the apartment rooftop and play the drums. Hoffman played the bongo drums while Hackman played the conga drums. They did it out of their love for 'Marlon Brando' (qv), who they had heard played music in clubs. They wanted to be like Brando and were big fans of his.
- His performance as Michael Dorsey/Dorothy Michaels in _Tootsie (1982)_ (qv) is ranked #33 on Premiere Magazine's 100 Greatest Performances of All Time (2006).
- He was a neighbor of 'Mel Brooks' (qv) in New York and was set to play the role of Franz Liebkind in Brooks' first film, _The Producers (1968)_ (qv). Just before production was to commence, Hoffman was offered the role of Ben Braddock in _The Graduate (1967)_ (qv), co-starring Brooks' wife 'Anne Bancroft (I)' (qv), and asked to be let out of his contract. The role of Liebkind eventually went to 'Kenneth Mars' (qv).
- During the filming of _Wag the Dog (1997)_ (qv) Hoffman, his co-star 'Robert De Niro' (qv) and director 'Barry Levinson (I)' (qv) had an impromptu meeting with President 'Bill Clinton (I)' (qv) at a Washington hotel. "So what's this movie about?" Clinton asked De Niro. De Niro looked over to Levinson, hoping he would answer the question. Levinson, in turn, looked over to Hoffman. Hoffman, realizing there was no one else to pass the buck to, is quoted as saying, "So I just started to tap dance. I can't even remember what I said."
- Was in talks to appear in _The Verdict (1982)_ (qv).
- While filming _Finding Neverland (2004)_ (qv) lost the tip of a finger and performed one day of shooting on morphine.
- Good friends with "The Graduate" (1967) co-star 'Katharine Ross' (qv).
- Was an L.A. high school classmate of 'Johnnie L. Cochran Jr.' (qv).