Aug. 8th, 1937
Los Angeles, California, USA
5' 5 1/2"
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Actor (segment "Dame Maggie")
Mr. Bergstrom (Voiced)
Graduated from Los Angeles High School in 1955. Went to Santa Monica City College where he dropped out after a year due to bad grades. But before he did, he took an acting course because he was told that "nobody flunks acting." Also received some training at Los Angeles Conservatory of Music. Decided to go into acting because he did not want to work or go into the service. Trained at The Pasadena Playhouse for two years.
- Both he and 'Robert Duvall' (qv) said one of the best reasons why they went to acting classes were the girls. When they were young, the classes were a gold mine to them.
- Was an L.A. high school classmate of 'Johnnie L. Cochran Jr.' (qv).
- As roommates, Hoffman and 'Gene Hackman' (qv) would often go to the apartment rooftop and play the drums. Hoffman played the bongo drums while Hackman played the conga drums. They did it out of their love for 'Marlon Brando' (qv), who they had heard played music in clubs. They wanted to be like Brando and were big fans of his.
- He is from a family of Polish Jews.
- Was considered for the role of Michael Corleone in _The Godfather (1972)_ (qv).
- His performance as "Ratso" Rizzo in _Midnight Cowboy (1969)_ (qv) is ranked #7 on Premiere Magazine's 100 Greatest Performances of All Time (2006).
- Was in talks to appear in _The Verdict (1982)_ (qv).
- April 2005: Recipient of a Lincoln Center tribute.