Aug. 8th, 1937
Los Angeles, California, USA
5' 5 1/2"
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Actor (segment "Dame Maggie")
Larry's Guide #1
Mr. Bergstrom (Voiced)
Graduated from Los Angeles High School in 1955. Went to Santa Monica City College where he dropped out after a year due to bad grades. But before he did, he took an acting course because he was told that "nobody flunks acting." Also received some training at Los Angeles Conservatory of Music. Decided to go into acting because he did not want to work or go into the service. Trained at The Pasadena Playhouse for two years.
- October 1997: Ranked #41 in Empire (UK) magazine's "The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time" list.
- Has appeared in two films about "Peter Pan" (_Hook (1991)_ (qv) and _Finding Neverland (2004)_ (qv)). Following his appearance in ""Hook", close friend and former roommate 'Gene Hackman' (qv) began calling him "Hook" as a joke. The name stuck and his contemporaries call him by that nickname to this day.
- Had expressed an early desire to play the title role in _Gandhi (1982)_ (qv), but was offered _Tootsie (1982)_ (qv) the same year and ended up taking the latter role. He eventually lost the Oscar that year to 'Ben Kingsley' (qv) who played Gandhi.
- Is one of the main supporters and contributers to the Santa Monica College Madison Theatre in Santa Monica, CA.
- He is from a family of Polish Jews.
- Has known 'Gene Hackman' (qv) since 1956.
- He was voted the 28th Greatest Movie Star of all time by Entertainment Weekly.
- Has a house in the Kensington area of London.