Aug. 8th, 1937
Los Angeles, California, USA
5' 5 1/2"
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Actor (segment "Dame Maggie")
Mr. Bergstrom (Voiced)
Graduated from Los Angeles High School in 1955. Went to Santa Monica City College where he dropped out after a year due to bad grades. But before he did, he took an acting course because he was told that "nobody flunks acting." Also received some training at Los Angeles Conservatory of Music. Decided to go into acting because he did not want to work or go into the service. Trained at The Pasadena Playhouse for two years.
- His performance as Michael Dorsey/Dorothy Michaels in _Tootsie (1982)_ (qv) is ranked #39 on Premiere Magazine's 100 Greatest Movie Characters of All Time.
- 3/6/70: He and wife 'Anne Byrne Hoffman' (qv) were living in a brownstone on 11th St. in New York City's Greenwich Village when the house next door blew up. Luckily, he and his family weren't home. Members of the radical 1960s domestic terror group The Weathermen were living in that house unknown to anyone and had stored a large cache of explosives that accidentally detonated, killing three of the group's members. 'Henry Fonda' (qv)'s ex-wife, Susan Wager, was also a neighbor in that block and witnessed the explosion.
- His performance as Raymond Babbitt in _Rain Man (1988)_ (qv) is ranked #88 on Premiere Magazine's 100 Greatest Movie Characters of All Time.
- Was considered for the role of Beau Burruoghs in _Rumor Has It... (2005)_ (qv), but the part eventually went to 'Kevin Costner' (qv).
- April 2005: Recipient of a Lincoln Center tribute.
- Has a house in the Kensington area of London.
- His performance as Michael Dorsey/Dorothy Michaels in _Tootsie (1982)_ (qv) is ranked #33 on Premiere Magazine's 100 Greatest Performances of All Time (2006).
- Another thespian he roomed with in New York was 'Robert Duvall' (qv).