Aug. 8th, 1937
Los Angeles, California, USA
5' 5 1/2"
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Actor (segment "Dame Maggie")
Mr. Bergstrom (Voiced)
Graduated from Los Angeles High School in 1955. Went to Santa Monica City College where he dropped out after a year due to bad grades. But before he did, he took an acting course because he was told that "nobody flunks acting." Also received some training at Los Angeles Conservatory of Music. Decided to go into acting because he did not want to work or go into the service. Trained at The Pasadena Playhouse for two years.
- Two of his films are on the American Film Institute's 100 Most Inspiring Movies of All Time. They are _Rain Man (1988)_ (qv) at #63 and _All the President's Men (1976)_ (qv) at #34.
- His performance as "Ratso" Rizzo in _Midnight Cowboy (1969)_ (qv) is ranked #7 on Premiere Magazine's 100 Greatest Performances of All Time (2006).
- Is active in a commercial campaign with the Swedish clothing company KappAhl.
- After attending the Pasadena Playhouse, Hoffman decided to move to New York and looked up former Playhouse classmate 'Gene Hackman' (qv). The two of them roomed together in New York at Hackman's one-bedroom apartment on 2nd Ave. and 26th St. Hoffman slept on the kitchen floor. Originally Hackman had offered to let him stay a few nights, but Hoffman would not leave. Hackman had to take him out to look for his own apartment.
- His performance as Michael Dorsey/Dorothy Michaels in _Tootsie (1982)_ (qv) is ranked #33 on Premiere Magazine's 100 Greatest Performances of All Time (2006).
- Has known 'Gene Hackman' (qv) since 1956.
- Despite being old friends and roommates with 'Gene Hackman' (qv) back in the 1960s, it was literally decades before he appeared on screen with him. He finally starred with Hackman in _Runaway Jury (2003)_ (qv).
- Was in early consideration for the role of Rick Deckard in _Blade Runner (1982)_ (qv). The role eventually went to 'Harrison Ford (I)' (qv).