Aug. 8th, 1937
Los Angeles, California, USA
5' 5 1/2"
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Actor (segment "Dame Maggie")
Mr. Bergstrom (Voiced)
Graduated from Los Angeles High School in 1955. Went to Santa Monica City College where he dropped out after a year due to bad grades. But before he did, he took an acting course because he was told that "nobody flunks acting." Also received some training at Los Angeles Conservatory of Music. Decided to go into acting because he did not want to work or go into the service. Trained at The Pasadena Playhouse for two years.
- Was in talks to appear in _The Verdict (1982)_ (qv).
- His performance as Michael Dorsey/Dorothy Michaels in _Tootsie (1982)_ (qv) is ranked #33 on Premiere Magazine's 100 Greatest Performances of All Time (2006).
- Two of his films are on the American Film Institute's 100 Most Inspiring Movies of All Time. They are _Rain Man (1988)_ (qv) at #63 and _All the President's Men (1976)_ (qv) at #34.
- During the filming of _Wag the Dog (1997)_ (qv) Hoffman, his co-star 'Robert De Niro' (qv) and director 'Barry Levinson (I)' (qv) had an impromptu meeting with President 'Bill Clinton (I)' (qv) at a Washington hotel. "So what's this movie about?" Clinton asked De Niro. De Niro looked over to Levinson, hoping he would answer the question. Levinson, in turn, looked over to Hoffman. Hoffman, realizing there was no one else to pass the buck to, is quoted as saying, "So I just started to tap dance. I can't even remember what I said."
- Brother-in-law of producer 'Lee Gottsegen' (qv).
- Has a house in the Kensington area of London.
- His parents named him Dustin after actor 'Dustin Farnum' (qv).
- While filming _Finding Neverland (2004)_ (qv) lost the tip of a finger and performed one day of shooting on morphine.