90 (passed away Apr. 6th, 2017)
May. 8th, 1926
New York City, New York, USA
Don Rickles' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
After the Golden Era of Hollywood ended, Don Rickles is one man still living to tell his tales. One of the most respected talents in entertainment, Rickles got his start in the night clubs, toiling for over 20 years, until 1958, when Don made his film debut in Run Silent Run Deep (1958). The movie was a big hit. Afterward, Rickles continued acting, starring in films like X (1963), Bikini Beach (1964), Enter Laughing (1967), and Kelly's Heroes (1970). In 1973, Don became a regular on Dean Martin (I)'s Celebrity Roasts. From 1973 until 1984, Don appeared frequently on Dean's show, paying tribute to some of his friends, like Bob Hope (I), Frank Sinatra, Lucille Ball, and was even the roast master on the roast for Dean Martin (I) himself. In 1976, Don his own TV series "C.P.O. Sharkey" (1976), which enjoyed a two year run. After 1984, Don began taking it easy, appearing in a few minor film roles. But in 1995, Don made a big comeback, appearing with Tom Hanks and Tim Allen (I) in Toy Story (1995) in the role of the grouchy Mr. Potato Head. In 1999, he returned as Mr. Potato Head in Toy Story 2 (1999).
- Seen by some as an imitator of 'Jack E. Leonard' (qv).
- Longtime, close friend of 'Bob Newhart' (qv). Their families have often traveled together over the years.
- Has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- Was good friends with 'Frank Sinatra' (qv) and 'Don Adams (I)' (qv).
- When he appeared on the December 13, 1976 episode of _"The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson" (1962)_ (qv), he accidentally broke the wooden cigarette box Johnny Carson kept on his desk. When Carson returned to the show the following night and discovered what had happened, he interrupted filming of _"C.P.O. Sharkey" (1976)_ (qv) to confront Rickles.
- Served in the US navy aboard the USS Cyrene in World War II.
- Aspired to be a serious actor and studied drama at the American Academy of Dramatic Arts before doing a stand-up comedy. His classmates included 'Grace Kelly (II)' (qv), 'Anne Bancroft (I)' (qv) and 'Jason Robards' (qv).
- Father of 'Mindy Rickles' (qv) and 'Larry Rickles' (qv).