82 (passed away Sep. 25th, 2005)
Apr. 13th, 1923
New York City, New York, USA
5' 8 1/2"
Don Adams' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles1999 - Inspector Gadget
1987 - Back to the Beach
1982 - Jimmy the Kid
1980 - The Nude Bomb
Guest TV Roles
Don Gibson Jr. (Voiced)
Of Irish-Hungarian heritage, New York-born Don Adams had a sister, Gloria, and a brother, Dick Yarmy. He served in the U.S. Marines in World War II and contracted malaria during the fighting on Guadalcanal island. After the war he began a career as a stand-up comic. He married singer Adelaide Adams and adopted her last name as his stage surname. They had seven children: Carolyn, Christine, Catherine, Cecily Adams, Stacey Adams (I), Sean, Beige. His television career began when he won the "Ted Mack & the Original Amateur Hour" (1948) talent contest. His most famous role, of course, is as bumbling, incompetent, clueless yet endearing secret agent Maxwell Smart in the classic sitcom/spy spoof "Get Smart" (1965), although he also had a career as a television director and a Broadway and theatrical dramatic actor.
- As the inept Agent 86 on _"Get Smart" (1965)_ (qv) Adams used to have a script assistant read his part to him once or twice just before a scene, instead of learning his lines.
- Biography in: "Who's Who in Comedy" by Ronald L. Smith; pg. 4-5. New York: Facts on File, 1992. ISBN 0816023387
- Was a close friend of "Playboy" publisher 'Hugh M. Hefner' (qv), and spent one night each week with Hefner (and other friends) playing cards.
- Father of 'Cecily Adams' (qv) and 'Stacey Adams (I)' (qv).
- His clipped Maxwell Smart voice came from a much exaggerated takeoff on 'William Powell (I)' (qv)'s "The Thin Man." He used to get laughs using the exact same voice years earlier on the stand-up circuit in different character set pieces - a baseball umpire, a football coach, a defense attorney.
- One of the first (if not the first) stand up comedian to have his own sitcom.
- Did not like the (badly timed) laugh track in _"Get Smart" (1965)_ (qv).
- Best remembered by the public for his starring role as "Maxwell Smart/Agent 86" on _"Get Smart" (1965)_ (qv).