82 (passed away Sep. 25th, 2005)
Apr. 13th, 1923
New York City, New York, USA
5' 8 1/2"
Don Adams' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles1999 - Inspector Gadget
1987 - Back to the Beach
1982 - Jimmy the Kid
1980 - The Nude Bomb
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Guest
Himself - Team Captain
Don Gibson Jr. (Voiced)
Don Adams (Voiced)
Of Irish-Hungarian heritage, New York-born Don Adams had a sister, Gloria, and a brother, Dick Yarmy. He served in the U.S. Marines in World War II and contracted malaria during the fighting on Guadalcanal island. After the war he began a career as a stand-up comic. He married singer Adelaide Adams and adopted her last name as his stage surname. They had seven children: Carolyn, Christine, Catherine, Cecily Adams, Stacey Adams (I), Sean, Beige. His television career began when he won the "Ted Mack & the Original Amateur Hour" (1948) talent contest. His most famous role, of course, is as bumbling, incompetent, clueless yet endearing secret agent Maxwell Smart in the classic sitcom/spy spoof "Get Smart" (1965), although he also had a career as a television director and a Broadway and theatrical dramatic actor.
- Before he was a comedian/actor, he worked as a theater usher.
- Shares birthday with 'Ron Perlman' (qv).
- His TV writing partner in 1954 was comedian 'Bill Dana' (qv). Dana used Adams on his own TV show, _"The Bill Dana Show" (1963)_ (qv) from 1963 to 1965, by incorporating one of Adams' stand-up characters, inept house detective Byron Glick.
- Father-in-law of 'Jim Beaver (I)' (qv).
- Biography in: "Who's Who in Comedy" by Ronald L. Smith; pg. 4-5. New York: Facts on File, 1992. ISBN 0816023387
- As the inept Agent 86 on _"Get Smart" (1965)_ (qv) Adams used to have a script assistant read his part to him once or twice just before a scene, instead of learning his lines.
- Was good friends with 'Don Rickles' (qv), 'Bernie Kopell' (qv), 'James Caan (I)' (qv) and 'Hugh M. Hefner' (qv).
- Served in the U.S. Marine Corps during World War II, and took part in the landings and battle at Guadalcanal, where he contracted malaria.