82 (passed away Sep. 25th, 2005)
Apr. 13th, 1923
New York City, New York, USA
5' 8 1/2"
Don Adams' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles1999 - Inspector Gadget
1987 - Back to the Beach
1982 - Jimmy the Kid
1980 - The Nude Bomb
Guest TV Roles
Don Gibson Jr. (Voiced)
Of Irish-Hungarian heritage, New York-born Don Adams had a sister, Gloria, and a brother, Dick Yarmy. He served in the U.S. Marines in World War II and contracted malaria during the fighting on Guadalcanal island. After the war he began a career as a stand-up comic. He married singer Adelaide Adams and adopted her last name as his stage surname. They had seven children: Carolyn, Christine, Catherine, Cecily Adams, Stacey Adams (I), Sean, Beige. His television career began when he won the "Ted Mack & the Original Amateur Hour" (1948) talent contest. His most famous role, of course, is as bumbling, incompetent, clueless yet endearing secret agent Maxwell Smart in the classic sitcom/spy spoof "Get Smart" (1965), although he also had a career as a television director and a Broadway and theatrical dramatic actor.
- Born to a Hungarian father and Irish mother.
- Before he was a comedian/actor, he worked as a theater usher.
- One of his duties while serving in the Marine Corps was a drill instructor.
- In 1984, played as himself in Miller Lite Beer commercials, poking fun at his Maxwell Smart fame.
- Was in a comedy team called The Young Brothers with 'Jay Lawrence (I)' (qv).
- Father of 'Cecily Adams' (qv) and 'Stacey Adams (I)' (qv).
- Instead of taking a large paycheck per episode ($12,500 per week) of _"Get Smart" (1965)_ (qv), Adams decided to take a smaller salary and 33% share. It paid off in spades--the show has been running in syndication for decades.
- According to former _"Get Smart" (1965)_ (qv), co-star, 'Barbara Feldon' (qv), Adams had an amazing memory that allowed him to take an unusual approach to filming.