82 (passed away Sep. 25th, 2005)
Apr. 13th, 1923
New York City, New York, USA
5' 8 1/2"
Don Adams' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles1999 - Inspector Gadget
1987 - Back to the Beach
1982 - Jimmy the Kid
1980 - The Nude Bomb
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Guest
Himself - Team Captain
Don Gibson Jr. (Voiced)
Don Adams (Voiced)
Of Irish-Hungarian heritage, New York-born Don Adams had a sister, Gloria, and a brother, Dick Yarmy. He served in the U.S. Marines in World War II and contracted malaria during the fighting on Guadalcanal island. After the war he began a career as a stand-up comic. He married singer Adelaide Adams and adopted her last name as his stage surname. They had seven children: Carolyn, Christine, Catherine, Cecily Adams, Stacey Adams (I), Sean, Beige. His television career began when he won the "Ted Mack & the Original Amateur Hour" (1948) talent contest. His most famous role, of course, is as bumbling, incompetent, clueless yet endearing secret agent Maxwell Smart in the classic sitcom/spy spoof "Get Smart" (1965), although he also had a career as a television director and a Broadway and theatrical dramatic actor.
- Was in a comedy team called The Young Brothers with 'Jay Lawrence (I)' (qv).
- When the pilot of _"Get Smart" (1965)_ (qv) was shooting for CBS, the producers wanted 'Tom Poston' (qv) for the role of Maxwell Smart, but when they sold it to NBC, Adams was already under contract with the network, hence, he was immediately cast in the role.
- Buried at the beautifully restored Hollywood Forever Cemetery located at 6000 Santa Monica Blvd., Hollywood, California, USA. Plot 8, Northeast pond.
- In 1984, played as himself in Miller Lite Beer commercials, poking fun at his Maxwell Smart fame.
- Father of 'Cecily Adams' (qv) and 'Stacey Adams (I)' (qv).
- Won three Emmys for bumbling secret agent Maxwell Smart in _"Get Smart" (1965)_ (qv) and the show itself won two awards for "Best Comedy," but he was severely typecast after this and never did find another proper showcase to display his comic range.
- Was good friends with 'Don Rickles' (qv), 'Bernie Kopell' (qv), 'James Caan (I)' (qv) and 'Hugh M. Hefner' (qv).
- Before he was a comedian/actor, he worked as a theater usher.