Dec. 8th, 1976
Dominic Monaghan's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Dominic Monaghan is best-known for his role in the movie adaptations of Lord of the Rings. Before that, he became known in England for his role in the British television drama Hetty Wainthropp Investigates (1996). He was studying English Literature, Drama and Geography at Sixth Form College when he was offered the co-starring role in the series, which ran for four seasons. His other television credits include This Is Personal: The Hunt for the Yorkshire Ripper (2000) (mini) and a leading role in Monsignor Renard (1999), a series starring 'John Thaw'.
On the stage, Monaghan has performed in the world premiere UK production of The Resurrectionists, Whale and Annie and Fanny from Bolton to Rome. Since watching Star Wars when he was six years old, Dominic has been consumed by films. His other obsessions include writing, music, fashion, playing/watching soccer and surfing. Utilizing his writing skills, he and LOTR co-star 'Billy Boyd' are collaborating on a script.
Born and raised in Berlin, Monaghan and his family moved to England when he was twelve. In addition to speaking fluent German, he has a knack at impersonations and accents. He frequently returns to his hometown of Manchester, England.
- Originally auditioned for the role of Sawyer on "Lost" before being asked to read for the role of Charlie.
- While filming the Lord of the Rings-trilogy, he got rid of his fear of heights by joining Orlando Bloom when he went bungee jumping.
- Is marginally the tallest of the 4 principal actors to play a hobbit in "The Lord of the Rings" films.
- Used to be roommates with Mackenzie Astin, the brother of his co-star from LOTR, Sean Astin. He now lives on his own in Hollywood Hills.
- His mother, Maureen, is a nurse and his father, Austin, is a teacher. While in Germany Austin taught Science for the British armed forces.
- Attended St. Anne's R.C High School in Stockport, England where his uncle has just retired as Headteacher
- His brother, Matthew, is one year older than him.