Dec. 8th, 1976
Dominic Monaghan's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Dominic Monaghan is best-known for his role in the movie adaptations of Lord of the Rings. Before that, he became known in England for his role in the British television drama Hetty Wainthropp Investigates (1996). He was studying English Literature, Drama and Geography at Sixth Form College when he was offered the co-starring role in the series, which ran for four seasons. His other television credits include This Is Personal: The Hunt for the Yorkshire Ripper (2000) (mini) and a leading role in Monsignor Renard (1999), a series starring 'John Thaw'.
On the stage, Monaghan has performed in the world premiere UK production of The Resurrectionists, Whale and Annie and Fanny from Bolton to Rome. Since watching Star Wars when he was six years old, Dominic has been consumed by films. His other obsessions include writing, music, fashion, playing/watching soccer and surfing. Utilizing his writing skills, he and LOTR co-star 'Billy Boyd' are collaborating on a script.
Born and raised in Berlin, Monaghan and his family moved to England when he was twelve. In addition to speaking fluent German, he has a knack at impersonations and accents. He frequently returns to his hometown of Manchester, England.
- The producers of "Lost" were so impressed with Dom they rewrote the part of Charlie to be a 20-something guy (it was originally intended to be a middle aged rock star who had faded from glory).
- His mother, Maureen, is a nurse and his father, Austin, is a teacher. While in Germany Austin taught Science for the British armed forces.
- Has a habit of writing on his hands, which he shares with 'Chris Martin (XI)' (qv) of 'Coldplay' (qv), who happens to be one of his favorite bands.
- Wrote and recorded the vocals for the tracks "Shadow" and "Maybe", and co-wrote and recorded "Half Fling" with 'Elijah Wood' (qv) on 'Viggo Mortensen' (qv)'s album 'Pandemoniumfromamerica'.
- His favorite football club is Manchester United and his favorite players include Roy Keane, Ryan Giggs, David Beckham, Eric Cantona and Ruud van Nistelrooy.
- Shares a birthday with Def Leppard guitarist Phil Collen
- Auditioned for Hetty Wainthropp three times in four weeks before finally getting the part.
- Used to be roommates with Mackenzie Astin, the brother of his co-star from LOTR, Sean Astin. He now lives on his own in Hollywood Hills.