Dec. 8th, 1976
Dominic Monaghan's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2009 - X-Men Origins: Wolverine
2009 - X-Men Origins: Wolverine
2003 - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
2002 - The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
2001 - The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Guest TV Roles[Complete List]
Dominic Monaghan is best-known for his role in the movie adaptations of Lord of the Rings. Before that, he became known in England for his role in the British television drama Hetty Wainthropp Investigates (1996). He was studying English Literature, Drama and Geography at Sixth Form College when he was offered the co-starring role in the series, which ran for four seasons. His other television credits include This Is Personal: The Hunt for the Yorkshire Ripper (2000) (mini) and a leading role in Monsignor Renard (1999), a series starring 'John Thaw'.
On the stage, Monaghan has performed in the world premiere UK production of The Resurrectionists, Whale and Annie and Fanny from Bolton to Rome. Since watching Star Wars when he was six years old, Dominic has been consumed by films. His other obsessions include writing, music, fashion, playing/watching soccer and surfing. Utilizing his writing skills, he and LOTR co-star 'Billy Boyd' are collaborating on a script.
Born and raised in Berlin, Monaghan and his family moved to England when he was twelve. In addition to speaking fluent German, he has a knack at impersonations and accents. He frequently returns to his hometown of Manchester, England.
- According to The Toronto Star (December 12, 2003), Monaghan fell so in love with surfing that he moved to Los Angeles and found a place to live 25 minutes from a beach.
- Shares a birthday with his fellow co-star from the hit series Lost, 'Ian Somerhalder' (qv).
- Wrote and recorded the vocals for the tracks "Shadow" and "Maybe", and co-wrote and recorded "Half Fling" with 'Elijah Wood' (qv) on 'Viggo Mortensen' (qv)'s album 'Pandemoniumfromamerica'.
- The producers of "Lost" were so impressed with Dom they rewrote the part of Charlie to be a 20-something guy (it was originally intended to be a middle aged rock star who had faded from glory).
- Attended Aquinas College, a Catholic sixth form school in Stockport
- Is marginally the tallest of the 4 principal actors to play a hobbit in "The Lord of the Rings" films.
- Auditioned for Hetty Wainthropp three times in four weeks before finally getting the part.