Jan. 19th, 1946
Sevierville, Tennessee, USA
Dolly Parton's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2011 - Gnomeo and Juliet
2002 - Frank McKlusky, C.I.
1993 - The Beverly Hillbillies
1992 - Straight Talk
1989 - Steel Magnolias
1982 - The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
1980 - Nine to Five
Guest TV Roles
Herself - Host
Herself (segment "Dolly")
Katrina Eloise 'Murph' Murphy (Voiced)
Herself - Country Singer (segment "The Greatest Women of Country Music")
Dolly Rebecca Parton (born January 19, 1946), one of 12 children of Robert Lee Parton, a tobacco farmer, and Avie Lee Parton (nee Owens). Parton grew up on a run-down farm in Locust Ridge, TN. At 12, she was appearing on Knoxville TV and, at 13, she was already recording on a small label and appearing at the Grand Ole Opry.
After graduating from high school in Sevier County, Tennessee, in 1964, she moved to Nashville to launch her career as a country singer. She fell in love with 'Carl Dean', who ran an asphalt-paving business; they got married on May 30, 1966 (and they are still together). The next year, Parton's singing caught the attention of 'Porter Wagoner'. He hired Parton to appear on his program, The Porter Wagoner Show (1960). Parton stayed with the show for 7 years, their duets became famous, and she appeared with his group at the Grand Ole Opry; she also toured and sold records. By the time her hit "Joshua" reached #1 in 1970, her fame had overshadowed Porter's, and she struck out on her own, though still recording duets with him. She left him for good to become a solo artist in 1974.
Parton gained immense popularity as a singer/songwriter. She won numerous Country Music Association awards (1968, 1970, 1971, 1975, 1976). This petite (5'0") beauty was a natural for television and, by the mid-1970s, Parton was appearing frequently on TV specials and talk shows. She then got her own show, aptly titled Dolly (1976).
In 1977, she got her first Grammy award: Best Female Country Vocal Performance, for her song "Here You Come Again". Parton's movie debut was in Nine to Five (1980), where she got an Oscar nomination for writing the title tune, and also Grammy awards 2 and 3, Best Country Song, and Best Female Country Vocal Performance for Nine to Five.
Parton got more fame for appearing in The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (1982)and in Rhinestone (1984) with the song "Tennessee Homesick Blues". She is the head of Dolly Parton Enterprises, a $100 million media empire, and, in 1986, she founded Dollywood, a theme park in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, celebrating her Smokey Mountain upbringing. She appeared as herself in the Dolly (1987) TV series.
In 1988, she won another Grammy award: Best Country Performance Duo or Group with Vocals, for "Trio".
Parton was in the acclaimed picture Steel Magnolias (1989) with 'Julia Roberts', and went on to appear in 15 movies and TV-movies for the 1990s, and of course garnered more Country Music Association awards.
In 2000, Parton received her 5th Grammy award: Best Country Collaboration with Vocals. She also released a Bluegrass Album. She is known for beautiful songs such as "Coat of Many Colors" and "Jolene" and "I Will Always Love You". Parton said in an interview, "My music is what took me everywhere I've been and everywhere I will go. It's my greatest love. I can't abandon it. I'll always keep making records".
- (2001) Dolly's classic song "Jolene" was covered by 'Sherrie Krenn' (qv) (aka Sherrie Austin) on her third album "Followin' A Feelin".
- In September 2002 she was named Tennessee's official ambassador for film and music by Gov. Don Sundquist. Her job is to promote the state to industry executives in Hollywood and raise awareness of Tennessee's capability to produce television, film, and recording projects (soundtracks) for Hollywood productions.
- Inducted as a member of the Grand Ole Opry on February 4, 1969.
- Honored with a lifetime membership to Girl Scouts of Tanasi Council, a chapter of Girl Scouts of America, on June 15, 2007.
- Godmother of 'Miley Cyrus' (qv).
- In 1987 she was among the women honored by Ms. Magazine as "Woman of the Year".
- Lost a Dolly Parton Look-Alike Contest.
- Various tabloids have reported that her breast implants - which she has never disputed having - have increased her measurements to anywhere from 38CC to a high mark of 48DD