May. 25th, 1939
McLemoresville, Tennessee, USA
Dixie Carter's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles1983 - Going Berserk
Guest TV Roles
D.A. Patricia Purcell
Dr. Alicia Ranier
Dixie is the middle of three children. Her father owned several small retail stores. Early on, she dreamed of being an opera singer, but a botched tonsillectomy at age 7 spoiled any chances for that dream. Still, she sang regularly and studied classical music. She can play the piano, trumpet, and the harmonica. She graduated from Memphis State with an English degree. In 1960, she made her professional debut in a local production of "Carousel". Three year's later, she moved to New York and landed a role in Joseph Papp's production of Shakespeare's "A Winter's Tale". When she married businessman, Arthur Carter, she left the stage for eight years to raise two daughters, Ginna Carter - now an actress and Mary Dixie Carter, a screenwriter. At age 35, she returned to acting, but found that no agent wanted to give her a chance. When offered a role in "On Our Own" in L.A., she immediately uprooted her family to move there. A second marriage to Broadway actor, George Hearn, quickly ended.
- Carter is her birth name, and her first husband was no relation.
- Stepmother of 'David Holbrook (I)' (qv).
- The Dixie Carter Performing Arts Center opened in December 2005 in Huntington, Tennessee.
- Attended Southwestern at Memphis (now Rhodes College).
- Travels extensively as a public speaker and appears in concert across the country.
- Member of Delta Delta Delta Sorority, Delta Sigma chapter.
- Attended the University of Tennessee at Knoxville before transferring to Rhodes College in Memphis TN.
- Her father, Halbert Leroy Carter, died on February 24, 2007 of natural causes in McLemoresville, Tennessee at age 96.