Jun. 26th, 1974
Pequannock, Morris County, New Jersey, USA
Derek Jeter's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2010 - The Other Guys
2005 - Through the Fire
2003 - Anger Management
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Baseball Player (segment "The Rocket")
Derek Sanderson Jeter (
/ˈdʒiːtər/; born June 26, 1974) is an American baseball shortstop who has played 18 seasons in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the New York Yankees. A five-time World Series champion, Jeter has been a central figure of the Yankees during their success of the 1990s and 2000s due to his hitting ability, baserunning, and leadership on the field and in the clubhouse. He is the Yankees' all-time career leader in hits (3,166), games played (2,484), stolen bases (344), and at bats (10,114). His accolades include twelve All-Star selections, five Gold Glove Awards, four Silver Slugger Awards, two Hank Aaron Awards, and a Roberto Clemente Award. Jeter is the all-time MLB leader in hits by a shortstop, and the 28th player to reach 3,000 hits.
The Yankees drafted Jeter out of high school in 1992, and he debuted in the major leagues in 1995. The following year, he became the Yankees' starting shortstop, won the Rookie of the Year Award, and helped the team win the 1996 World Series. Jeter continued to contribute during the team's championship seasons of 1998–2000; he finished third in voting for the American League (AL) Most Valuable Player (MVP) Award in 1998, recorded multiple career-high numbers in 1999, and won both the All-Star Game MVP and World Series MVP Awards in 2000. He has consistently placed among the AL leaders in hits and runs scored for the past ten years, and since 2003 has served as the Yankees' team captain. Throughout his career, Jeter has contributed reliably to the Yankees' franchise successes in the postseason. He holds many postseason records, and has a .351 batting average in the World Series. Jeter has earned the titles of "Captain Clutch" and "Mr. November" due to his postseason heroics.
- Finished in top 10 in voting for American League MVP from 1998-2001.
- Was voted "most likely to be the starting shortstop for the New York Yankees" in high school.
- Family: mother, Dorothy Conner-Jeter, father, Charles Jeter and younger sister, Sharlee.
- Was drafted by the New York Yankees while a senior in high school
- Named to 5 American League All Star teams (1998-2002).
- He was a huge Yankee fan even before he was drafted to the Yankees.
- Was an honor student in high school.
- Is Captain of the New York Yankees