81 (passed away Feb. 24th, 2006)
Jun. 4th, 1924
Joplin, Missouri, USA
Dennis Weaver's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2004 - Home on the Range
1971 - What's the Matter with Helen?
1966 - Duel at Diablo
1958 - Touch of Evil
1954 - Dragnet
1954 - The Bridges at Toko-Ri
1953 - The Man From The Alamo
Guest TV Roles
Sergeant Jay Allen
the Sundown Kid
Professor Robert Beardsley
William Dennis Weaver was an American actor, best known for his work in television, including his role as Matt Dillon's trusty helper Chester Goode on the long-running western series Gunsmoke.
- 'Shelley Winters' (qv) gave him one of his first real breaks by helping him get a part in a stage production of "Come Back, Little Sheba."
- Was a committed environmentalist; Weaver's home near Santa Fe, NM, is constructed almost entirely out of recycled materials.
- Member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (Actors Branch).
- Gave his character Chester on _"Gunsmoke" (1955)_ (qv) a bad leg and a limp out of fear that he would not be noticed when playing scenes with the 'James Arness' (qv), who stood 6'6" tall, unless his character had an unusual trait that would call attention to him.
- Born at 8:00am-CDT.
- Had three grandchildren, Jennifer, Travis and Jess.
- Placed 6th in the 1948 Olympic Trials in the Decathlon. 'Bob Mathias' (qv) placed first; Weaver won the final event, the 1500 meter run.
- Built an Earthship environmental home in Ridgway, Colorado.