81 (passed away Feb. 24th, 2006)
Jun. 4th, 1924
Joplin, Missouri, USA
Dennis Weaver's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2004 - Home on the Range
1971 - What's the Matter with Helen?
1966 - Duel at Diablo
1958 - Touch of Evil
1954 - Dragnet
1954 - The Bridges at Toko-Ri
Guest TV Roles
Sergeant Jay Allen
the Sundown Kid
Sgt. Ted Bentley
William Dennis Weaver was an American actor, best known for his work in television, including his role as Matt Dillon's trusty helper Chester Goode on the long-running western series Gunsmoke.
- Lost a daughter-in-law, Lynne Ann Weaver (who was married to his son, 'Robby Weaver (I)' (qv)), to a July 2003 Santa Monica, California, car accident that killed more than eight people.
- Inducted (as a cast member of _"Gunsmoke" (1955)_ (qv)) into the Hall of Great Western Performers of the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in 1981.
- Almost didn't get the part of "Chester Goode" on _"Gunsmoke" (1955)_ (qv) until he asked for a second chance to read the lines in a humorous, countrified accent and won the role.
- Served as the president of "Love Is Feeding Everyone" (LIFE), which fed 150,000 needy people a week in Los Angeles County. Also, founded the Institute of Ecolonomics, which sought solutions to economic and environmental problems.
- Died on the same day and at the same age as 'Don Knotts' (qv).
- 'Shelley Winters' (qv) gave him one of his first real breaks by helping him get a part in a stage production of "Come Back, Little Sheba."
- Was a track and field athlete from the University of Oklahoma.
- Was a committed environmentalist; Weaver's home near Santa Fe, NM, is constructed almost entirely out of recycled materials.