81 (passed away Feb. 24th, 2006)
Jun. 4th, 1924
Joplin, Missouri, USA
Dennis Weaver's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2004 - Home on the Range
1971 - What's the Matter with Helen?
1966 - Duel at Diablo
1958 - Touch of Evil
1954 - Dragnet
1954 - The Bridges at Toko-Ri
1953 - The Man From The Alamo
Guest TV Roles
Sergeant Jay Allen
the Sundown Kid
Professor Robert Beardsley
William Dennis Weaver was an American actor, best known for his work in television, including his role as Matt Dillon's trusty helper Chester Goode on the long-running western series Gunsmoke.
- Born at 8:00am-CDT.
- Inducted (as a cast member of _"Gunsmoke" (1955)_ (qv)) into the Hall of Great Western Performers of the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in 1981.
- Placed 6th in the 1948 Olympic Trials in the Decathlon. 'Bob Mathias' (qv) placed first; Weaver won the final event, the 1500 meter run.
- He was a struggling actor in Hollywood in 1955, earning $60 a week delivering flowers when he was offered $300 a week for a role in a new CBS television series, _"Gunsmoke" (1955)_ (qv). After nine years as Chester, who he played with a stiff-legged gait, he was earning $9,000 a week.
- Father of actor 'Robby Weaver (I)' (qv), actor/producer/director 'Rick Weaver (I)' (qv) and 'Rusty Weaver' (qv).
- Built an Earthship environmental home in Ridgway, Colorado.
- Almost didn't get the part of "Chester Goode" on _"Gunsmoke" (1955)_ (qv) until he asked for a second chance to read the lines in a humorous, countrified accent and won the role.
- Had three grandchildren, Jennifer, Travis and Jess.