81 (passed away Feb. 24th, 2006)
Jun. 4th, 1924
Joplin, Missouri, USA
Dennis Weaver's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2004 - Home on the Range
1971 - What's the Matter with Helen?
1966 - Duel at Diablo
1958 - Touch of Evil
1954 - The Bridges at Toko-Ri
1954 - Dragnet
Guest TV Roles
Sergeant Jay Allen
the Sundown Kid
Sgt. Ted Bentley
Professor Robert Beardsley
William Dennis Weaver was an American actor, best known for his work in television, including his role as Matt Dillon's trusty helper Chester Goode on the long-running western series Gunsmoke.
- Built an Earthship environmental home in Ridgway, Colorado.
- Was a track and field athlete from the University of Oklahoma.
- Died on the same day and at the same age as 'Don Knotts' (qv).
- Served as the president of "Love Is Feeding Everyone" (LIFE), which fed 150,000 needy people a week in Los Angeles County. Also, founded the Institute of Ecolonomics, which sought solutions to economic and environmental problems.
- Was a committed environmentalist; Weaver's home near Santa Fe, NM, is constructed almost entirely out of recycled materials.
- Placed 6th in the 1948 Olympic Trials in the Decathlon. 'Bob Mathias' (qv) placed first; Weaver won the final event, the 1500 meter run.
- In 1958, he formed a singing trio with 'Milburn Stone' (qv) and 'Amanda Blake (I)' (qv). In 1960, the trio broke the house record for the Albuquerque Arena during the New Mexico State Fair.
- Inducted (as a cast member of _"Gunsmoke" (1955)_ (qv)) into the Hall of Great Western Performers of the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in 1981.