Oct. 28th, 1944
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Dennis Franz's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles1998 - City of Angels
1996 - American Buffalo
1992 - The Player
1990 - Die Hard 2: Die Harder
1989 - The Package
1986 - A Fine Mess
1985 - Runaway Train
1983 - Psycho II
1983 - Scarface
1981 - Blow Out
1980 - Dressed to Kill
1980 - Popeye
1978 - The Fury
1965 - Mickey One
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Dennis Franz was born Dennis Franz Schlacta in Maywood, Illinois, a suburb of Chicago. His father was a German immigrant and both he and Franz's mother, were postal workers. He has two sisters, Marlene (born 1938) and Heidi (born 1935). He graduated from Southern Illinois University and was immediately drafted into the military. He served 11 month in Vietnam in a reconnaissance unit, and after his service he suffered depression for some time afterwards. In 1972 he joined the Organic Theatre Company. Robert Altman (I) discovered him at an auditions and urged him to go to Los Angeles, where he became part of Altman's resident company. He met Joanie Zeck on April Fool's Day 1982 and aided her in raising her two daughters, Krista (born 1976) and Tricia (born 1974). They married thirteen years later in Carmel, California.
- Attended Wright Junior College and Southern Illinois University, with a major in speech and theater
- Always travels with a pet bird.
- Graduated from Proviso East H.S. Maywood IL, in 1962.
- Was a mailman before becoming an actor
- Is an animal lover, has a dog named Bigelow.
- He and 'Jimmy Smits' (qv) began their association with 'Steven Bochco' (qv) in the 1980s.
- Andy Sipowicz, Franz's character on _"NYPD Blue" (1993)_ (qv), was ranked #31 in TV Guide's list of the "50 Greatest TV Dads of All Time" [20 June 2004 issue].
- Best known by the public for his starring role as Det. Andy Sipowicz on _"NYPD Blue" (1993)_ (qv).