69 (passed away Jul. 22nd, 2013)
Feb. 29th, 1944
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Dennis Farina's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - Authors Anonymous
2008 - Bottle Shock
2008 - What Happens in Vegas...
2007 - You Kill Me
2007 - The Grand
2007 - Purple Violets
2004 - Paparazzi
2002 - Stealing Harvard
2002 - Big Trouble
2001 - Sidewalks of New York
2000 - Reindeer Games
1999 - The Mod Squad
1998 - Out of Sight
1998 - Saving Private Ryan
1997 - That Old Feeling
1996 - Eddie
1995 - Get Shorty
1994 - Little Big League
1993 - Striking Distance
1993 - Another Stakeout
1988 - Midnight Run
1986 - Manhunter
1986 - Jo Jo Dancer, Your Life Is Calling
1981 - Thief
Guest TV Roles
Lt. Colonel Edward Edward Vincent
Dennis Farina was one of Hollywood's busiest actors and a familiar face to moviegoers and television viewers alike. Recently, he appeared in the feature films, "The Grand," a comedy about a Vegas poker tournament with Woody Harrelson, Cheryl Hines and Ray Romano; "Bottle Shock," also starring Alan Rickman, Bill Pullman and Bradley Whitford; and Fox's "What Happens in Vegas," in which Dennis starred as Cameron Diaz's boss. Farina also appeared on the NBC series "Law and Order" and in the HBO miniseries, "Empire Falls," for which he won a Golden Globe Award for Best Mini-Series.
Farina is well remembered for his role in memorable features such as Steven Soderbergh's "Out of Sight," in which he played the retired lawman father of Jennifer Lopez's character. This was Farina's second outing in an Elmore Leonard best seller, the previous one being "Get Shorty," directed by Barry Sonnenfeld and co-starring John Travolta, Rene Russo and Gene Hackman. Farina received an American Comedy Award for Funniest Supporting Male for his performance as "Ray 'Bones' Barboni."
In 1998's "Saving Private Ryan," directed by Steven Spielberg, Farina played "Col. Anderson," a pivotal role in the film. It is this character who convinces Tom Hanks character to lead a squad deep into Nazi territory to rescue "Pvt. Ryan." He also co-starred with Brad Pitt and Oscar-winner Benicio Del Toro in the darkly comedic crime drama "Snatch," directed by Guy Ritchie.
Farina's numerous other screen credits include John Frankenheimer's "Reindeer Games," "Paparazzi," Martin Brest's "Midnight Run," the Michael Mann film "Manhunter", among many other feature films. Farina is also recognized for his role in the critically acclaimed television series, NBC's "Crime Story". A veteran of the Chicago theater, Farina has appeared in Joseph Mantegna's "Bleacher Bums," and "A Prayer For My Daughter," directed by John Malkovich, and many others.
Dennis Farina died in Scottsdale, Arizona on July 22, 2013 from a blood clot in his lung. He was 69 years old.
- He is the only actor on _"Law & Order" (1990)_ (qv) who has actually served in law enforcement.
- "Farina" means "flour" in Italian.
- Spent three years in the military before becoming a police officer.
- Once claimed in an interview that as a Chicago cop he was such a bad shot, he earned the nickname "The Great Wounder."
- Plead no contest to carrying a weapon into a secured area. Was arrested in May, 2008 on suspicion of carrying a concealed weapon after police say they found a .22-caliber handgun in his briefcase as he tried to pass through security at LAX airport. Sentenced to 24 months probation [July 17, 2008].
- Father of actor 'Joe Farina (I)' (qv).
- In the film _Get Shorty (1995)_ (qv), Dennis played Mr. Barboni. In the end of the film, Chili Palmer ('John Travolta' (qv)) is making a movie about his experiences in Hollywood, the role of Chili is portrayed by Martin Weir ('Danny DeVito' (qv)) and that of Barboni by 'Harvey Keitel' (qv). Dennis Farina played Jack Crawford in _Manhunter (1986)_ (qv) (film based on the 'Thomas Harris (I)' (qv) novel "Red Dragon"). 'Harvey Keitel' (qv) played Crawford in _Red Dragon (2002)_ (qv).
- Is one of three actors to play Jack Crawford in the Hannibal Lecter films. He played the role in _Manhunter (1986)_ (qv). 'Scott Glenn' (qv) played the role in _The Silence of the Lambs (1991)_ (qv), and 'Harvey Keitel' (qv) played the role in _Red Dragon (2002)_ (qv).