Jul. 30th, 1956
Orlando, Florida, USA
Delta Burke's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Delta Burke is best known for her portrayal as Suzanne Sugarbaker in CBS' "Designing Women" (1986), which ran for five seasons and for which she received two Emmy nominations for Best Actress in a Comedy Series. When a teenager she represented Florida in the Miss America Pageant, and won a talent scholarship, which she used to attend a two-year study program at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Arts.
She got her first television role within a month of her arrival in Los Angeles. She starred in the TV movie The Seekers (1979) (TV) and the series "The Chisholms" (1980). She had the leading role in "Filthy Rich" (1982) and a starring role in HBO's first weekly series, "1st & Ten" (1984).
Through her own production company, Perseverance, Inc., Delta produced and starred in the ABC television series "Delta" (1992). She actually sang in the series and dyed her dark hair blonde for the role. She was reunited with "Designing Women" (1986) creator Linda Bloodworth-Thomason when she starred in and produced "Women of the House" (1995), in which she reprised her role as Suzanne Sugarbaker.
Much of Delta's time now is spent designing clothing and managing her New York company, Delta Burke Design, which is becoming very successful. She is married to actor Gerald McRaney. They live in New Orleans when not working or traveling.
- April 2003 - While on the set of a new tv pilot, "Sweet Potato Queens", that was not picked up any network for the Fall 2003 season, some of her jewelry including her wedding and engagemant rings were stolen. The stolen jewelry was valued at approximately $74,000. The rings were inscribed with the word "always" and the date of her wedding. No clue to the thief and the LAPD told her that the common thing is to steal the diamonds and throw away the bands, so little hope of recovery was offered.
- Following her firing from _"Designing Women" (1986)_ (qv), she was parodied in a short-lived Fox comedy show, _"The Edge" (1992)_ (qv), in one skit where she was portrayed as a giant who was getting revenge on her former castmates by ripping the roof off the house, pulling them out, and biting their heads off like chickens. Despite the unflattering nature of the skit, Ms. Burke was reportedly very amused by it.
- Is diabetic
- Graduate of Colonial High School in Orlando, Florida.
- Checked herself into rehab to modify her medications for her depression and diabetes [February 12, 2008].
- Has suffered from chronic depression since her teens
- Miss Florida 1974