Jul. 31st, 1966
Mt. Clemens, Michigan, USA
Dean Cain's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2015 - Vendetta
2014 - The Dog Who Saved Easter
2014 - God's Not Dead
2013 - Defending Santa
2011 - Subject: I Love You
2011 - 5 Days of War
2010 - Pure Country 2: The Gift
2010 - A Nanny for Christmas
2010 - The Way Home
2009 - Maneater
2007 - September Dawn
2004 - Post Impact
2003 - Out of Time
2001 - Firetrap
2001 - Rat Race
2001 - The Broken Hearts Club: A Romantic Comedy
2001 - Firetrap
2000 - No Alibi
2000 - Militia
1997 - Best Men
1992 - Miracle Beach
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Host
Himself - Host
Insp. Jack Ellis
Himself - Contestant
Dean George Cain (born Dean George Tanaka; July 31, 1966) is an American actor. He is most widely known for his role as Superman in the popular American television series Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman.
Cain was born in Mount Clemens, Michigan, the son of 'Sharon Thomas', an actress, and Roger Tanaka. He is of French Canadian, Irish, Welsh, and Japanese (from his paternal grandfather) descent. In 1969, Cain's mother married film director Christopher Cain, who adopted Dean and his brother (musician Roger Cain); they became his sons and the family moved to Malibu, California. The couple later had a daughter, Dean's sister, actress Krisinda Cain. Both attended Santa Monica High School, where he excelled in sports.
He played baseball as a child, and 'Chad' and 'Rob Lowe' and Charlie Sheen – who played on the same team – were among his schoolmates. Cain graduated from high school in 1984 and was offered athletic scholarships to 17 universities, but decided to attend Princeton University. At Princeton he was also a member of the Zeta Psi fraternity and the Cap & Gown eating club. He dated actress 'Brooke Shields' for two years, and set an NCAA record for interceptions in a season while at Princeton. Cain graduated from Princeton in 1988 with a BA degree in History; his senior thesis was titled "The History and Development of the Functions of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences".
After signing with the Buffalo Bills, a knee injury ended his pro career before it began. Though he had already played a part in his father's The Stone Boy (1984), he went through the usual route of commercials and tv-parts (notably, Beverly Hills, 90210 (1990) in 1990) before landing his break-through role as Superman/Clark Kent in the series Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman (1993).
- In May 2005 he visited soldiers in Iraq with 'Kelly Hu' (qv) and 'Amanda Swisten' (qv).
- Signed by the Buffalo Bills, but a knee injury ended his career.
- Was engaged to country singer Mindy McCready in 1997, only to break up with her a year later.
- Does work for the 'Aspen Grassroots Experience' and he attended their '7th Annual Aspen Celebrity Downhill'(which was held to benefit children through this charity) - 6th to 9th March 2003
- Owns homes in Malibu, Aspen, Colorado & Ibiza.
- His birth name, Tanaka, is tattooed in Japanese kanji on his ankle.
- Along with 'Michael McKean (I)' (qv), 'Patrick Cassidy (I)' (qv) and 'Richard Gant' (qv), he is one of only four actors to appear in both _"Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman" (1993)_ (qv) and _"Smallville" (2001)_ (qv).
- Son of actress 'Sharon Thomas (I)' (qv).