Jul. 31st, 1966
Mt. Clemens, Michigan, USA
Dean Cain's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Dean George Cain (born Dean George Tanaka; July 31, 1966) is an American actor. He is most widely known for his role as Superman in the popular American television series Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman.
Cain was born in Mount Clemens, Michigan, the son of 'Sharon Thomas', an actress, and Roger Tanaka. He is of French Canadian, Irish, Welsh, and Japanese (from his paternal grandfather) descent. In 1969, Cain's mother married film director Christopher Cain, who adopted Dean and his brother (musician Roger Cain); they became his sons and the family moved to Malibu, California. The couple later had a daughter, Dean's sister, actress Krisinda Cain. Both attended Santa Monica High School, where he excelled in sports.
He played baseball as a child, and 'Chad' and 'Rob Lowe' and Charlie Sheen – who played on the same team – were among his schoolmates. Cain graduated from high school in 1984 and was offered athletic scholarships to 17 universities, but decided to attend Princeton University. At Princeton he was also a member of the Zeta Psi fraternity and the Cap & Gown eating club. He dated actress 'Brooke Shields' for two years, and set an NCAA record for interceptions in a season while at Princeton. Cain graduated from Princeton in 1988 with a BA degree in History; his senior thesis was titled "The History and Development of the Functions of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences".
After signing with the Buffalo Bills, a knee injury ended his pro career before it began. Though he had already played a part in his father's The Stone Boy (1984), he went through the usual route of commercials and tv-parts (notably, Beverly Hills, 90210 (1990) in 1990) before landing his break-through role as Superman/Clark Kent in the series Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman (1993).
- Graduated from Princeton University with a major in History.
- Took part in 'RadioShack All-Star Celebrity Softball Game', US Cellular Field - 13th July 2003
- Dean's natural father George Tanaka abandoned the family, which includes older brother Roger, before Dean was born and Dean has never met his natural father.
- Owns homes in Malibu, Aspen, Colorado & Ibiza.
- Son (with 'Samantha Torres' (qv)) Christopher Dean Cain was born June 11, 2000 at 1:30pm. He weighed 7lbs. 15oz. Named after his grandfather, Christopher Cain.
- Was engaged to country singer Mindy McCready in 1997, only to break up with her a year later.
- Founded Angry Dragon Entertainment, a film production company, in 1998.
- Friend of actor 'Girard Swan' (qv).