Jul. 31st, 1966
Mt. Clemens, Michigan, USA
Dean Cain's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - God's Not Dead
2010 - Hole In One
2003 - Out of Time
2001 - Firetrap
2001 - Rat Race
2001 - The Broken Hearts Club: A Romantic Comedy
2000 - Militia
2000 - No Alibi
1997 - Best Men
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Host
Insp. Jack Ellis
King Charlemagne (Voiced)
NASN Scientist (Voiced)
Dean George Cain (born Dean George Tanaka; July 31, 1966) is an American actor. He is most widely known for his role as Superman in the popular American television series Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman.
Cain was born in Mount Clemens, Michigan, the son of 'Sharon Thomas', an actress, and Roger Tanaka. He is of French Canadian, Irish, Welsh, and Japanese (from his paternal grandfather) descent. In 1969, Cain's mother married film director Christopher Cain, who adopted Dean and his brother (musician Roger Cain); they became his sons and the family moved to Malibu, California. The couple later had a daughter, Dean's sister, actress Krisinda Cain. Both attended Santa Monica High School, where he excelled in sports.
He played baseball as a child, and 'Chad' and 'Rob Lowe' and Charlie Sheen – who played on the same team – were among his schoolmates. Cain graduated from high school in 1984 and was offered athletic scholarships to 17 universities, but decided to attend Princeton University. At Princeton he was also a member of the Zeta Psi fraternity and the Cap & Gown eating club. He dated actress 'Brooke Shields' for two years, and set an NCAA record for interceptions in a season while at Princeton. Cain graduated from Princeton in 1988 with a BA degree in History; his senior thesis was titled "The History and Development of the Functions of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences".
After signing with the Buffalo Bills, a knee injury ended his pro career before it began. Though he had already played a part in his father's The Stone Boy (1984), he went through the usual route of commercials and tv-parts (notably, Beverly Hills, 90210 (1990) in 1990) before landing his break-through role as Superman/Clark Kent in the series Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman (1993).
- Attended Fashion Show at Laurel Park Place Mall, Livonia, Michigan to celebrate the opening of a new Von Maur Department Store - 18th October 2003
- He is part Welsh, Japanese, French-Canadian and Irish.
- Founded Angry Dragon Entertainment, a film production company, in 1998.
- Along with 'Michael McKean (I)' (qv), 'Patrick Cassidy (I)' (qv) and 'Richard Gant' (qv), he is one of only four actors to appear in both _"Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman" (1993)_ (qv) and _"Smallville" (2001)_ (qv).
- Dean's natural father George Tanaka abandoned the family, which includes older brother Roger, before Dean was born and Dean has never met his natural father.
- Moved to California at age 3 and grew up in Malibu.
- Attended the 2nd annual HatcH audiovisual festival in Bozeman, MT in October 2005. HatcH is a film and arts festival whose mission is to provide mentorship, education, inspiration, and recognition to the next generation of creative innovators. Cain was a guest of honor on the red carpet for his new movie, Lost.
- Son (with 'Samantha Torres' (qv)) Christopher Dean Cain was born June 11, 2000 at 1:30pm. He weighed 7lbs. 15oz. Named after his grandfather, Christopher Cain.