Mar. 20th, 1963
Blackpool, Lancashire, England, UK
David Thewlis' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
David Thewlis (né David Wheeler; born March 20 1963) is an English actor of stage and screen. His most commercially successful role to date has been that of Remus Lupin in the Harry Potter film series. Other notable performances include his work in the films Naked (1993), Timeline (2003), Kingdom of Heaven (2005), The Omen (2006), The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas (2008), London Boulevard (2010) and War Horse (2011). He made his name known in 1993 with his performance of Johnny in Naked and with his performance of main antagonist King Einon in the 1996 film Dragonheart. He has also done voice work in the films James and the Giant Peach (1996) and The Miracle Maker (2000).
Thewlis, second of three children, was born in Blackpool, Lancashire, the son of Maureen (née Thewlis) and Alec Raymond Wheeler. Both parents worked at his father's shop. As a teenager, he played in a rock band called QED, and played lead guitar with a punk rock band called Door 66. He was educated at Highfield High School, a state secondary school in Marton, Blackpool. Later, he enrolled in the Guildhall School of Music and Drama in London, graduating in 1984.
He received a International Festival of Independent Cinema Off Plus Camera Award in 2012.
In 1992, Thewlis married director Sara Sugarman; they divorced in (1994). He then had a brief relationship with Bill Oddie's daughter Kate Hardie. In 2001, he began a relationship with actress 'Anna Friel', who he met on a flight to Cannes. They have one child together. Friel and Thewlis ended their relationship in late 2010, after almost a decade.
Thewlis owns a converted Victorian ballroom in Clerkenwell. He also is often mistaken for fellow actor 'Rhys Ifans': "Twice a week, people come up to me and say, 'You were great in Notting Hill'. The public seem to think we are the same person". David's ex-partner Anna Friel has been in a relationship with Rhys Ifans since 2011. David has also written a novel called The Late Hector Kipling, published by Simon & Schuster in 2007.
- With girlfriend, 'Anna Friel' (qv), became The Faces Of Mulberry for Spring 2002.
- Turned down the role of Simon Gruber in _Die Hard: With a Vengeance (1995)_ (qv), which was later given to 'Jeremy Irons' (qv).
- Graduated from The Guildhall School of Music and Drama, London, England in 1984.
- Banned from entering China because of his role in _Seven Years in Tibet (1997)_ (qv).
- During the filming of _The Island of Dr. Moreau (1996)_ (qv), he fell off a horse and broke his leg.
- Was originally considered for the role of Professor Quirrell in _Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)_ (qv). He later got the role of Professor Lupin in _Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)_ (qv).
- Partner 'Anna Friel' (qv) gave birth to a baby girl, named Gracie, at London's Portland Hospital and weighed 7lb 4oz on 9 July 2005. This is the first child for both.
- (2001) Living with British actress 'Anna Friel' (qv)