Apr. 18th, 1971
Bathgate, West Lothian, Scotland, UK
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Presenter
David Tennant was born David John McDonald on the 18th April 1971 in West Lothian, Scotland, to a father who was a Presbyterian minister. When he was about 3 or 4 years old, he decided to become an actor because of the BBC show Doctor Who (the series that started in 1963). He was appearing on television before he started school!
He was brought up in Bathgate and became a huge fan of the band The Proclaimers. He attended Paisley Grammar school and while there he wrote about how he wanted to become a professional actor and play the role of the Doctor in Doctor Who.
He was first noticed by Scottish television at a Saturday youth club he attended. He trained at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama.
In 2005, his wish came true. David was cast to play the role of the Doctor in the BBC'S new series of Doctor Who alongside 'Billie Piper', after 'Christopher Eccleston' decided to leave. After that, he became a household name.
- Graduated from the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama.
- His heroes are 'John Cleese' (qv) and 'Derek Jacobi' (qv).
- (2005) Won Best Male Performance, Critics Award for Theatre in Scotland, for his role in "Look Back in Anger" as Jimmy Porter.
- Father is Alexander (Sandy), a retired minister; mother Helen died of cancer in July 2007.
- Chose his acting surname from 'Neil Tennant' (qv), singer with Pet Shop Boys. This came after reading an interview with Tennant in Smash Hits shortly after learning that he would have to change his professional name in order to join the actors' union, Equity, as there was already a registered member with his real name, David McDonald.
- Favorite actress is 'Audrey Hepburn' (qv).
- David Tennant is a respected classical actor who has performed numerous starring roles for the Royal Shakespeare Company, including Touchstone in "As You Like It," Romeo in "Romeo and Juliet," Antipholus of Syracuse in "The Comedy of Errors," and Captain Jack Absolute in "The Rivals.".
- Has a brother, Blair, and a sister, Karen.