Apr. 18th, 1971
Bathgate, West Lothian, Scotland, UK
David Tennant's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2010 - How to Train Your Dragon
2009 - Glorious 39
2009 - St Trinian's 2: The Legend of Fritton's Gold
2005 - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
2003 - Bright Young Things
1996 - Jude
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Presenter
David Tennant was born David John McDonald on the 18th April 1971 in West Lothian, Scotland, to a father who was a Presbyterian minister. When he was about 3 or 4 years old, he decided to become an actor because of the BBC show Doctor Who (the series that started in 1963). He was appearing on television before he started school!
He was brought up in Bathgate and became a huge fan of the band The Proclaimers. He attended Paisley Grammar school and while there he wrote about how he wanted to become a professional actor and play the role of the Doctor in Doctor Who.
He was first noticed by Scottish television at a Saturday youth club he attended. He trained at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama.
In 2005, his wish came true. David was cast to play the role of the Doctor in the BBC'S new series of Doctor Who alongside 'Billie Piper', after 'Christopher Eccleston' decided to leave. After that, he became a household name.
- Favorite actress is 'Audrey Hepburn' (qv).
- Says that his favorite Doctor from the original _"Doctor Who" (1963)_ (qv) was 'Peter Davison (I)' (qv), who reprised his role as the Fifth Doctor alongside Tennant in the Children in Need special episode, "Time Crash.".
- Attended Paisley Grammar.
- Along with 'Elisabeth Sladen' (qv), 'John Leeson' (qv), 'Tommy Knight' (qv), 'Alexander Armstrong' (qv) and 'Lachele Carl' (qv), he is one of only six actors to play the same character in both _"Doctor Who" (2005)_ (qv) and _"The Sarah Jane Adventures" (2007)_ (qv).
- His heroes are 'John Cleese' (qv) and 'Derek Jacobi' (qv).
- (2000) Nominated for Best Classical Actor Under 30, 'Ian Charleson' (qv) Award for his theater role in "Comedy of Errors" as Antipholus of Syracuse.
- Decided to be an actor at the age of three.
- Father is Alexander (Sandy), a retired minister; mother Helen died of cancer in July 2007.