Apr. 18th, 1971
Bathgate, West Lothian, Scotland, UK
Guest TV Roles[none found]
David Tennant (born David John McDonald; April 18, 1971) in West Lothian, Scotland, to a father who was a Presbyterian minister. When he was about 3 or 4 years old, he decided to become an actor because of the BBC show Doctor Who (the series that started in 1963). He was appearing on television before he started school!
He was brought up in Bathgate and became a huge fan of the band The Proclaimers.
Tennant attended Paisley Grammar school and while there he wrote about how he wanted to become a professional actor and play the role of the Doctor in Doctor Who.
He was first noticed by Scottish television at a Saturday youth club he attended. He trained at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama.
In 2005, his wish came true. Tennant was cast to play the role of the Doctor in the BBC'S new series of Doctor Who alongside 'Billie Piper', after 'Christopher Eccleston' decided to leave. After that, he became a household name.
- Favorite actress is 'Audrey Hepburn' (qv).
- Decided to be an actor at the age of three.
- Is the second Scots actor to be cast as the Doctor. The first was 'Sylvester McCoy' (qv), who was cast as the seventh Doctor in the original series. McCoy's time in the TARDIS was from 1987 to 1989.
- Is only the 2nd actor to play The Doctor in the whole run of the show, both old and new, to have been born in Scotland.
- While attending Paisley Grammar School, he wrote an essay on how his greatest desire was to play Doctor Who on TV.
- Has expressed an interest to play The Riddler in the possible sequel to The Dark Knight.
- (2000) Nominated for Best Classical Actor Under 30, 'Ian Charleson' (qv) Award for his theater role in "Comedy of Errors" as Antipholus of Syracuse.
- Chose his acting surname from 'Neil Tennant' (qv), singer with Pet Shop Boys. This came after reading an interview with Tennant in Smash Hits shortly after learning that he would have to change his professional name in order to join the actors' union, Equity, as there was already a registered member with his real name, David McDonald.