Apr. 18th, 1971
Bathgate, West Lothian, Scotland, UK
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Presenter
Oscar's Brain (Voiced)
David Tennant (born David John McDonald; April 18, 1971) in West Lothian, Scotland, to a father who was a Presbyterian minister. When he was about 3 or 4 years old, he decided to become an actor because of the BBC show Doctor Who (the series that started in 1963). He was appearing on television before he started school!
He was brought up in Bathgate and became a huge fan of the band The Proclaimers.
Tennant attended Paisley Grammar school and while there he wrote about how he wanted to become a professional actor and play the role of the Doctor in Doctor Who.
He was first noticed by Scottish television at a Saturday youth club he attended. He trained at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama.
In 2005, his wish came true. Tennant was cast to play the role of the Doctor in the BBC'S new series of Doctor Who alongside 'Billie Piper', after 'Christopher Eccleston' decided to leave. After that, he became a household name.
- On August 31, 2007, he turned on the illumination lights for Blackpool.
- David Tennant is a respected classical actor who has performed numerous starring roles for the Royal Shakespeare Company, including Touchstone in "As You Like It," Romeo in "Romeo and Juliet," Antipholus of Syracuse in "The Comedy of Errors," and Captain Jack Absolute in "The Rivals.".
- Graduated from the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama.
- Is a big fan of film director 'Alfred Hitchcock (I)' (qv).
- Says that his favorite Doctor from the original _"Doctor Who" (1963)_ (qv) was 'Peter Davison (I)' (qv), who reprised his role as the Fifth Doctor alongside Tennant in the Children in Need special episode, "Time Crash.".
- Is only the 2nd actor to play The Doctor in the whole run of the show, both old and new, to have been born in Scotland.
- Chose his acting surname from 'Neil Tennant' (qv), singer with Pet Shop Boys. This came after reading an interview with Tennant in Smash Hits shortly after learning that he would have to change his professional name in order to join the actors' union, Equity, as there was already a registered member with his real name, David McDonald.
- Cast as "Tenth Doctor" for BBC _"Doctor Who" (2005)_ (qv) series to star alongside 'Billie Piper' (qv) (April 2005).