Apr. 18th, 1971
Bathgate, West Lothian, Scotland, UK
Guest TV Roles
The Fugitoid (Voiced)
Himself - Guest
Himself - Presenter
David Tennant (born David John McDonald; April 18, 1971) in West Lothian, Scotland, to a father who was a Presbyterian minister. When he was about 3 or 4 years old, he decided to become an actor because of the BBC show Doctor Who (the series that started in 1963). He was appearing on television before he started school!
He was brought up in Bathgate and became a huge fan of the band The Proclaimers.
Tennant attended Paisley Grammar school and while there he wrote about how he wanted to become a professional actor and play the role of the Doctor in Doctor Who.
He was first noticed by Scottish television at a Saturday youth club he attended. He trained at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama.
In 2005, his wish came true. Tennant was cast to play the role of the Doctor in the BBC'S new series of Doctor Who alongside 'Billie Piper', after 'Christopher Eccleston' decided to leave. After that, he became a household name.
- Is only the 2nd actor to play The Doctor in the whole run of the show, both old and new, to have been born in Scotland.
- Cast as "Tenth Doctor" for BBC _"Doctor Who" (2005)_ (qv) series to star alongside 'Billie Piper' (qv) (April 2005).
- Favorite actress is 'Audrey Hepburn' (qv).
- Says that his favorite Doctor from the original _"Doctor Who" (1963)_ (qv) was 'Peter Davison (I)' (qv), who reprised his role as the Fifth Doctor alongside Tennant in the Children in Need special episode, "Time Crash.".
- David Tennant is a respected classical actor who has performed numerous starring roles for the Royal Shakespeare Company, including Touchstone in "As You Like It," Romeo in "Romeo and Juliet," Antipholus of Syracuse in "The Comedy of Errors," and Captain Jack Absolute in "The Rivals.".
- Father is Alexander (Sandy), a retired minister; mother Helen died of cancer in July 2007.
- Won Best Actor, Theatre Management Association, for his role in "The Glass Menagerie" as Tom.
- His heroes are 'John Cleese' (qv) and 'Derek Jacobi' (qv).