Apr. 18th, 1971
Bathgate, West Lothian, Scotland, UK
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Presenter
David Tennant was born David John McDonald on the 18th April 1971 in West Lothian, Scotland, to a father who was a Presbyterian minister. When he was about 3 or 4 years old, he decided to become an actor because of the BBC show Doctor Who (the series that started in 1963). He was appearing on television before he started school!
He was brought up in Bathgate and became a huge fan of the band The Proclaimers. He attended Paisley Grammar school and while there he wrote about how he wanted to become a professional actor and play the role of the Doctor in Doctor Who.
He was first noticed by Scottish television at a Saturday youth club he attended. He trained at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama.
In 2005, his wish came true. David was cast to play the role of the Doctor in the BBC'S new series of Doctor Who alongside 'Billie Piper', after 'Christopher Eccleston' decided to leave. After that, he became a household name.
- He was nominated for a 2003 'Laurence Olivier' (qv) Theatre Award for Best Actor of 2002 for his performance in "Lobby Hero" performed at the Donmar Warehouse and the New Ambassador's Theatres.
- Chose his acting surname from 'Neil Tennant' (qv), singer with Pet Shop Boys. This came after reading an interview with Tennant in Smash Hits shortly after learning that he would have to change his professional name in order to join the actors' union, Equity, as there was already a registered member with his real name, David McDonald.
- Decided to be an actor at the age of three.
- Acted with the 7:84 Theatre Company, a genre-bending, ground-breaking, political Scottish Theatre Group.
- Cast as "Tenth Doctor" for BBC _"Doctor Who" (2005)_ (qv) series to star alongside 'Billie Piper' (qv) (April 2005).
- Favorite book is "The Catcher in the Rye" by 'J.D. Salinger' (qv).
- Is the second Scots actor to be cast as the Doctor. The first was 'Sylvester McCoy' (qv), who was cast as the seventh Doctor in the original series. McCoy's time in the TARDIS was from 1987 to 1989.
- Has a brother, Blair, and a sister, Karen.