Oct. 31st, 1942
Peoria, Illinois, USA
David Ogden Stiers' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2006 - Lady in the Water
2005 - Hoodwinked
2004 - Teacher's Pet
2002 - Lilo & Stitch
2001 - Tomcats
2001 - Atlantis: The Lost Empire
2001 - The Majestic
2001 - The Curse of the Jade Scorpion
1998 - Krippendorf's Tribe
1997 - Meet Wally Sparks
1997 - Jungle 2 Jungle
1996 - Everyone Says I Love You
1996 - The Hunchback of Notre Dame
1995 - Mighty Aphrodite
1995 - Napoleon
1995 - Pocahontas
1994 - Iron Will
1991 - Beauty and the Beast
1991 - Doc Hollywood
1988 - The Accidental Tourist
1988 - Another Woman
1985 - Creator
1985 - The Man with One Red Shoe
1978 - The Cheap Detective
1978 - Magic
1977 - Oh, God!
1971 - THX 1138
Guest TV Roles
Mr. Maellard (Voiced)
Dr. Curt Dreiser
David Ogden Stiers was born in Peoria, Illinois, moved with his family to Eugene, Oregon during high school and began his acting career in Northern California, acting in the Actor's Workshop and California Shakespeare Festival. He later moved to New York, where he studied drama at Julliard, and joined the Houseman Acting Company at its outset. He often lends his voice to animated films, with Lilo & Stitch (2002) being his 25th theatrically-released Disney animated film. He is also an avid fan of classical music, and has conducted many orchestras, including the Yaquina Chamber Orchestra in Newport, Oregon, where he is the principal guest conductor.
- Was a high school classmate of Chicago Sun-Times film critic 'Roger Ebert' (qv).
- Has conducted 70 orchestras in over 100 appearances. He is resident conductor of the Newport Symphony Orchestra in Newport, Oregon.
- Provided the voice of Cogsworth the clock in Disney's _Beauty and the Beast (1991)_ (qv). His advice to the Beast on what to give Belle, "Flowers, chocolates, promises you don't intend to keep..." was his own creation.
- Provided several other voices for Disney: Gov. Ratcliffe & Wiggins in _Pocahontas (1995)_ (qv) and _Pocahontas II: Journey to a New World (1998) (V)_ (qv); narrator in _Beauty and the Beast (1991)_ (qv); and the Archdeacon in _The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)_ (qv).
- Graduated High School at North Eugene High School, Oregon.
- Played French horn in the orchestra at Julliard, which is rather more amusing considering an episode of _"M*A*S*H" (1972)_ (qv) where he bothers Hawkeye and B.J. with persistent bad horn playing.
- His last name is pronounced "styers".
- Some of the _"M*A*S*H" (1972)_ (qv) actors jokingly had his dressing room painted orange and purple while Stiers was off for Thanksgiving break.