Sep. 19th, 1933
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
David McCallum's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles1991 - Hear My Song
1990 - The Haunting of Morella
1980 - The Watcher in the Woods
1969 - Mosquito Squadron
1967 - Three Bites of the Apple
1967 - The Karate Killers
1965 - The Greatest Story Ever Told
1963 - The Great Escape
1962 - Freud
1962 - Billy Budd
1958 - A Night to Remember
Guest TV Roles[none found]
His father, 'David McCallum Sr.', was first violinist for the London Philharmonic and his mother, Dorothy Dorman, was a cellist, so it is not surprising that he was originally headed for a career in music (oboe), studying briefly at the Royal Academy of Music. He left that, however, for the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art. He made nearly a dozen movies in the United Kingdom before his critically acclaimed work as Lieutenant Wyatt in Billy Budd (1962). He is perhaps best known for his portrayal of the blond U.N.C.L.E. agent Illya Kuryakin in TV's The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (1964).
- He has a daughter Sophie and three surviving sons, 'Paul McCallum (I)' (qv), 'Peter McCallum' (qv) and 'Val McCallum' (qv). He and 'Jill Ireland' (qv) had three children (including an adopted son Jason, who died on 7th November 1985 from an accidental drug overdose) and he had two children with his second wife, Katherine Carpenter.
- His hobbies include golf and computing.
- One of the first Brit actors to study the Method style of acting.
- Has two grandchildren.
- Has appeared in episodes of three different series with 'Robert Vaughn (I)' (qv): _"The Man from U.N.C.L.E." (1964)_ (qv), _"Please Don't Eat the Daisies" (1965)_ (qv), and _"The A-Team" (1983)_ (qv).
- According to McCallum himself in a 2009 interview in Monte Carlo, at the time of the interview he had 5 grandchildren and one on the way.
- Son, 'Val McCallum' (qv), is a respected guitarist and session musician, recording and performing with artists 'Jonatha Brooke' (qv), 'Vonda Shepard' (qv) and 'Sheryl Crow' (qv).
- His adoptive son, Jason McCallum, died of an accidental drug overdose in 1985.