Apr. 18th, 1968
Redhill, Surrey, England, UK
David Hewlett's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2010 - Splice
2009 - Helen
2007 - A Dog's Breakfast
2004 - Ice Men
2003 - Foolproof
2003 - Nothing
2002 - Cypher
2001 - Treed Murray
1997 - Cube
1991 - Desire and Hell at Sunset Motel
1988 - Pin
Guest TV Roles
Dr. Rodney McKay
Hewlett launched his acting career, starring in student films by Vincenzo Natali. He dropped out of high school in his senior year to pursue careers in acting. David Hewlett appeared in many low-budget horror movies, such as 'The Darkside'. He also guest starred in several television series. In 1996, he landed one of his better-known roles, as Grant Jansky on Traders. In 1997, Hewlett worked again in 'Cube' as Worth the architect, a role that saw the rise of his stardom due to the commercial success of the low budget Canadian film. Hewlett has said that 'Doctor Who' is what first sparked his love for the genre and that he made science fiction when he was younger in England on his 8 millimeter camera with friends. Hewlett had a four-episode guest role on 'Stargate SG-1' as the Stargate expert Rodney McKay, which eventually grew into his starring role on 'Stargate Atlantis'. In 2007, David appeared as a guest star in the first episode of the TV series 'Sanctuary'.
- Brother of 'Kate Hewlett' (qv)
- He is a big fan of _"Doctor Who" (1963)_ (qv). His favourite Doctor was 'Tom Baker (I)' (qv).
- Wed 'Jane Loughman' (qv) on June 21, 2008 in Warwick, England.
- Engaged to 'Jane Loughman' (qv) on December 25, 2006.
- With his girlfriend 'Jane Loughman' (qv) he adopted a dog from a local animal shelter which was scheduled for being euthanized. The Rottweiler-Terrier mix is now called Mars, and is one of the stars of David and Jane's new comedy feature film called _A Dog's Breakfast (2007)_ (qv).
- Went to high school with director 'Vincenzo Natali' (qv) and has appeared in three of his films. Had worked with 'Andrew Miller (I)' (qv) and suggested him to Natali for _Cube (1997)_ (qv).
- Used to run an Internet media company, Darkyl, with his sister in Toronto.
- Originally appeared as Dr. Rodney McKay', a one-off guest star in _"Stargate SG-1" (1997)_ (qv) episode "48 Hours" . He was then invited back for the Season Six premiere "Redemption, Parts 1 & 2" the following season. When the shows creators were casting the spin-off series _"Stargate: Atlantis" (2004)_ (qv), he was originally called in to read for a different role. However, he returned to the "Stargate franchise" as McKay, only this time, he was a series lead in the smash hit, _"Stargate: Atlantis" (2004)_ (qv).