Aug. 7th, 1960
New York City, New York, USA
David Duchovny's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2013 - Phantom
2012 - Goats
2007 - Manufacturing Dissent
2007 - Things We Lost in the Fire
2007 - Manufacturing Dissent
2006 - The TV Set
2005 - Trust the Man
2004 - House of D
2002 - Full Frontal
2001 - Zoolander
2001 - Evolution
2000 - Return to Me
1998 - The X-Files: Fight the Future
1997 - Playing God
1993 - Kalifornia
1992 - Beethoven
1992 - Ruby
1992 - Chaplin
1991 - The Rapture
1991 - Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead
1990 - Bad Influence
1988 - Working Girl
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Guest
Himself - Host
David William Duchovny (born August 7, 1960) is an American actor, writer, producer, director, and singer-songwriter. He is known for playing FBI Agent Fox Mulder on the sci-fi horror action drama show The X-Files and writer Hank Moody on the comedy-drama series Californication, both of which have earned him Golden Globe awards. Duchovny appeared in both of the two X-Files films, the 1998 science fiction-thriller of the same name and the supernatural-thriller The X-Files: I Want to Believe (2008). As of May 2015, he has been executive producing and starring in the historically based cop drama Aquarius.
Duchovny has a B.A. in English Literature from Princeton University and an M.A. in English Literature from Yale University.
Born in New York, New York in 1960. He is the son of Margaret "Meg" (née Miller), a school administrator and teacher, and Amram "Ami" Duchovny (1927–2003), a writer and publicist who worked for the American Jewish Committee. Duchovny's mother is a Lutheran emigrant from Aberdeen, Scotland. His father was Jewish; Duchovny's paternal grandfather was from Berdychiv, Russian Empire (now in Ukraine), and Duchovny's paternal grandmother was born in Russian Poland (now in Poland). His father dropped the h in his last name to avoid the sort of mispronunciations he encountered while serving in the Army.
Duchovny attended Grace Church School and The Collegiate School For Boys; both are in Manhattan. He graduated from Princeton University in 1982 with a B.A. in English Literature. He was a member of Charter Club, one of the university's eating clubs. In 1982, his poetry received an honorable mention for a college prize from the Academy of American Poets. The title of his senior thesis was The Schizophrenic Critique of Pure Reason in Beckett's Early Novels. Duchovny played a season of junior varsity basketball as a shooting guard and centerfield for the varsity baseball team.
He received a Master of Arts in English Literature from Yale University and subsequently began work on a Ph.D. that remains unfinished. The title of his uncompleted doctoral thesis was Magic and Technology in Contemporary Poetry and Prose. At Yale, he was a student of popular literary critic Harold Bloom.
Duchovny married actress 'Téa Leoni' (May 13, 1997). Leoni gave birth to a daughter, Madelaine West Duchovny in (April 1999). Their second child, a son, Kyd Miller Duchovny, was (b. June 2002). Duchovny is a former vegetarian and, as of 2007, is a pescetarian.
On August 28, 2008, Duchovny announced that he had checked himself into a rehabilitation facility for treating sex addiction. On October 15, Duchovny's and Leoni's representatives issued a statement revealing they had separated several months earlier. A week later, Duchovny's lawyer said that he planned to sue the Daily Mail over an article it ran that claimed he had had an affair with Hungarian tennis instructor Edit Pakay while married to Leoni, a claim that Duchovny has denied. On November 15, 2008, the Daily Mail retracted their claims. After getting back together, Duchovny and Leoni once again split on June 29, 2011. In 2012, he declared he was still married to her, though they were separated. Their divorce was finalized in (June 2014).
- Was ABD ("All But Dissertation") when he left Yale, so he never actually received his graduate degree. The title of his uncompleted doctoral thesis was "Magic and Technology in Contemporary Poetry and Prose."
- Birthday is two days before "X Files" co-star Gillian Anderson. He is eight years her senior.
- Uncle of twin boys Gabriel and Luca (b. May 2004), sons of his sister Laurie and brother-in-law Michael Birnbaum.
- Celebrated his 10th birthday on Erraid, a small island off the west coast of Scotland.
- Has an allergic reaction to metal which prevents him from wearing his wedding ring at times.
- Speaks Hebrew.
- While at Yale, he was classmates with 'Jennifer Beals (I)' (qv), whom Duchovny suggested for a part on _"The X Files" (1993)_ (qv) (it eventually went to 'Gillian Anderson (I)' (qv)).
- Family: His father's name was Amram. From a Russian-Jewish family he was a Brooklyn-born publicist for the American Jewish Commitee, died on 23 August 2003 from heart disease. His mother's name is Margaret. She is of Scottish ancestry. Brother, 'Daniel Ducovny' (qv), sister Laurie, and a stepbrother named Jonathan Sahula. Duchovny means 'spiritual' in Russian.