Apr. 12th, 1950
New York City, New York, USA
David Cassidy's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2007 - I Could Never Be Your Woman
2005 - Popstar
1975 - Rosebud
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Contestant
Officer Dan Shay
Himself - Interviewee
David Cassidy was born on April 12, 1950 to Jack Cassidy (I), a very skilled actor, and actress Evelyn Ward (I). By the time he was five, his parents were divorced and Jack had married actress Shirley Jones (I), an actress who in 1955 had just made Oklahoma! (1955). When David was about 10, his mother moved to California from New Jersey. A few years later, she got married to a director and, like Jack Cassidy (I) and Shirley Jones (I), the marriage ended in divorce. David was thrown out of schools and hardly made it through one year of college. When he was 18, he went east to New York to perform in a play called "The Fig Leafs are Falling." He did some other spots on TV, but in 1970 he got the opportunity to play Keith Partridge on the TV show "The Partridge Family" (1970). (He did not know until he got the part that his real life stepmother Shirley Jones (I) was to play his mother Shirley.) The show ended in 1974, but not the close relationship he had with his "sister" Susan Dey, who played Laurie Partridge. In 1976, David's father Jack died when his apartment caught on fire. That year, David got married to Kay Lenz, but they later divorced. He got married again to a horse trainer in 1984, but it did not last either. In 1990, he married again, to Sue Shifrin. (He has a son from Sue named Beau Devon.) In 1994, he wrote a book about his years being Keith Partridge. He still performs updated songs from the Partridge Family years.
- Daughter 'Katie Cassidy' (qv) is a singer who recently covered her father's song "I Think I Love You." She was featured in a VH1 five-part documentary series on the last forty years of teen music performers, _Bubblegum Babylon (2002) (TV)_ (qv).
- In an attempt to break from his Keith Partridge persona, he posed nude for 'Annie Leibovitz' (qv) for a photo in the 11 May 1972 "Rolling Stone" magazine.
- His hit song "I Think I Love You" was featured and sung on the album "You and Me" by 'Declan Galbraith' (qv).
- Half-brother of 'Shaun Cassidy' (qv), 'Ryan Cassidy (I)' (qv), and 'Patrick Cassidy (I)' (qv).
- 14 year-old fan Bernadette Whelan died of heart failure on 30 May 1974, from injuries sustained while attending a 26 May Cassidy show at London's White City Stadium. 650 fans were injured in a crush. Cassidy was so affected that he quit both touring and _"The Partridge Family" (1970)_ (qv).
- Son of actress 'Evelyn Ward (I)' (qv) and actor 'Jack Cassidy (I)' (qv).
- Ranked #1 in TV Guide's list of "TV's 25 Greatest Teen Idols" (23 January 2005 issue).
- Starred in the play "Time" in London with 'Laurence Olivier' (qv) in 1987. It was Olivier's final stage performance (although he was only seen via a previously filmed segment).