May. 1st, 1950
Flat Rock, Michigan, USA
Dann Florek's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2000 - Beautiful Joe
1998 - Hard Rain
1994 - The Flintstones
1994 - Getting Even with Dad
1991 - Flight of the Intruder
1989 - An Innocent Man
1988 - Moon Over Parador
1988 - Sunset
1987 - Angel Heart
1983 - Eddie Macon's Run
Guest TV Roles
Captain Donald Cragen
Ernest 'Happy' Talbot
Raised in Flat Rock, Michigan, bald character actor Dann Florek majored in math and physics at Eastern Michigan University until a drama scholarship changed the course of his career direction. Trained at Juilliard, he appeared frequently on stage ranging from the classics ("Love's Labour's Lost," "A Midsummer Night's Dream") to contemporary pieces ("Strange Snow, "Big River," "The Three Cuckolds") appearing in such theater venues as the Globe Theatre and La Jolla Playhouse.
In Los Angeles from the 80s on, he received his biggest break on dramatic TV series work playing pragmatic officials on such hit shows as "L.A. Law" and, most notably, "Law and Order." Although not a name, he is a durable player and definable face who has occasionally engaged in film supports with Eddie Macon's Run (1983), Angel Heart (1987), Moon Over Parador (1988) and Beautiful Joe (2000) among his credits.
- Wife Karen is an artist.
- Along with 'Jerry Orbach' (qv), 'Chris Noth' (qv) and 'Fred Dalton Thompson' (qv), he is one of four _"Law & Order" (1990)_ (qv) cast members who later joined the regular cast of one of the spin-off series. He played Captain Donald Cragen in _"Law & Order" (1990)_ (qv) from 1990 to 1993 and in _"Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" (1999)_ (qv) since 1999.
- Brother of 'Dave Florek (I)' (qv).
- Is one of four cast members from "Law & Order" whose character became a regular on a "Law & Order" spin-off. He played Capt. Donald Cragen in both "Law & Order" and "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit."
- An avid golfer, he collects antique golf clubs. Some of which can be seen in his office in _"Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" (1999)_ (qv).
- An accomplished musician who collects music memorabilia.
- Is the only actor to appear in the pilots of two different "Law & Order" series (_"Law & Order" (1990)_ (qv) and _"Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" (1999)_ (qv)).
- Played Abraham Lincoln in the irreverent, controversial comedy series _"The Secret Diary of Desmond Pfeiffer" (1998)_ (qv), which was very short-lived.