Jul. 1st, 1952
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Dan Aykroyd's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Dan Aykroyd attended Carleton University in Ottawa, Canada (1969), where he majored in Criminology and Sociology. He dropped out to work with Second City Stage Troupe in Toronto and started his acting career at Carleton University with Sock'n'Buskin, the campus theater/drama club. Married to Donna Dixon (I), he has two daughters. His parents are named Peter and Lorraine and his brother Peter Aykroyd is a psychic researcher. Dan received an honorary Doctorate from Carleton University in 1994.
- He met 'John Belushi' (qv) in a Chicago speakeasy that was a favorite night spot of his and put on a blues record to play in the background while he and Belushi discussed the possibility of Aykroyd joining _"Saturday Night Live" (1975)_ (qv). Not only did they hit it off and become good friends, Belushi became fascinated with the blues that was being played in the background because, to Aykroyd's surprise, the Chicago-born Belushi was primarily a fan of heavy metal. Aykroyd's familiarizing Belushi with blues music eventually led to them forming their popular "Blues Brothers" act, with a little input from then SNL music director 'Howard Shore' (qv).
- He and 'M. Night Shyamalan' (qv), are the only two men to direct themselves in performances that "won" them a Razzie Award for Worst Supporting Actor. Aykroyd "won" the award for, and also directed, the film _Nothing But Trouble (1991)_ (qv).
- Holds an advisory commission with the Police Department in Payne City, Georgia.
- Co-owns House of Blues with friend 'Isaac Tigrett' (qv)
- Is part owner of a company that owns the exclusive distribution rights to Patron tequila for the entire country of Canada. Is now also distilling a vodka called "Crystal Head" to be bottled in a skull-shaped glass bottle.
- Has played harmonica since he was 17 years old.
- As an avid blues fan, he hosted a nationally syndicated radio show "House of Blues" as his _The Blues Brothers (1980)_ (qv) character Elwood Blues.
- Proposed to 'Donna Dixon (I)' (qv) on 'Fran Drescher' (qv)'s porch. Drescher played a major role in getting them together from the start.