Jul. 1st, 1952
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Guest TV Roles
Weekend Update Anchor
Judge Max Hunter
Dan Aykroyd (Voiced)
Rev. Mike Webber
Himself - Beldar
Dan Aykroyd attended Carleton University in Ottawa, Canada (1969), where he majored in Criminology and Sociology. He dropped out to work with Second City Stage Troupe in Toronto and started his acting career at Carleton University with Sock'n'Buskin, the campus theater/drama club. Married to Donna Dixon (I), he has two daughters. His parents are named Peter and Lorraine and his brother Peter Aykroyd is a psychic researcher. Dan received an honorary Doctorate from Carleton University in 1994.
- He met 'John Belushi' (qv) in a Chicago speakeasy that was a favorite night spot of his and put on a blues record to play in the background while he and Belushi discussed the possibility of Aykroyd joining _"Saturday Night Live" (1975)_ (qv). Not only did they hit it off and become good friends, Belushi became fascinated with the blues that was being played in the background because, to Aykroyd's surprise, the Chicago-born Belushi was primarily a fan of heavy metal. Aykroyd's familiarizing Belushi with blues music eventually led to them forming their popular "Blues Brothers" act, with a little input from then SNL music director 'Howard Shore' (qv).
- His original idea for _Ghost Busters (1984)_ (qv) was set in the future, where an army of Ghostbusters fought hordes of ghosts.
- Is very interested in the supernatural and has an extensive collection of books on the subject.
- Is a big fan of 'The Beach Boys' (qv) and his first piece of writing was a sketch that appeared in the 1976 documentary _The Beach Boys: It's OK (1976) (TV)_ (qv).
- Spends every Canada Day (July 1, also his birthday) performing some sort of civic duty in Kingston, Ontario and one year was appointed a Citizenship Judge where he swore in some immigrants as Canadian citizens.
- Received the Order of Canada in 1999.
- He has such a fascination with both police officers and criminals, one of the writers from the original _"Saturday Night Live" (1975)_ (qv) said his ultimate fantasy was to commit a crime, then arrest himself for it.
- He's the first male regular cast member of _"Saturday Night Live" (1975)_ (qv) to be nominated for an Academy Award. ('Joan Cusack' (qv) was the very first regular cast member of the show to be Oscar-nominated.)