Jul. 1st, 1952
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Dan Aykroyd's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Dan Aykroyd attended Carleton University in Ottawa, Canada (1969), where he majored in Criminology and Sociology. He dropped out to work with Second City Stage Troupe in Toronto and started his acting career at Carleton University with Sock'n'Buskin, the campus theater/drama club. Married to Donna Dixon (I), he has two daughters. His parents are named Peter and Lorraine and his brother Peter Aykroyd is a psychic researcher. Dan received an honorary Doctorate from Carleton University in 1994.
- Was once engaged to 'Carrie Fisher' (qv).
- He and Bill Murray resumed their Ghostbusters roles to visit a terminally ill child who was a fan of the film and wanted to meet them.
- Was born with complete heterochromia; his right eye is blue and his left eye is brown.
- Is very interested in the supernatural and has an extensive collection of books on the subject.
- Aykroyd and 'John Belushi' (qv) were scheduled to present the first annual Best Visual Effects Oscar at the 1982 Academy Awards, but Belushi died weeks before the ceremony. Aykroyd presented the award alone, and stated from the podium: "My partner would have loved to have been here tonight to present this award, since he was a bit of a Visual Effect himself."
- Has a "Blues Brothers" type band with 'John Belushi' (qv)'s brother, 'James Belushi' (qv).
- Supports MUFON, a UFO study group.
- Though he has made numerous appearances on _"Saturday Night Live" (1975)_ (qv) since leaving the show in 1979, he did not actually host it until the 2002-2003 season finale.