Jul. 1st, 1952
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Dan Aykroyd's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Dan Aykroyd attended Carleton University in Ottawa, Canada (1969), where he majored in Criminology and Sociology. He dropped out to work with Second City Stage Troupe in Toronto and started his acting career at Carleton University with Sock'n'Buskin, the campus theater/drama club. Married to Donna Dixon (I), he has two daughters. His parents are named Peter and Lorraine and his brother Peter Aykroyd is a psychic researcher. Dan received an honorary Doctorate from Carleton University in 1994.
- Is ambidextrous, as is evident by his writing left-handed during the examination scene in _Spies Like Us (1985)_ (qv).
- Roman Catholic of English and French extraction. On his father's side, he can trace his ancestry to the 15th century.
- Was very close with River Phoenix during the filming of "Sneakers". Aykroyd can even been seen wearing the shirt of Phoenix's band, Aleka's Attic, in the movie.
- Has a "Blues Brothers" type band with 'John Belushi' (qv)'s brother, 'James Belushi' (qv).
- Received the Order of Canada in 1999.
- As a child in the early 1960s, he was diagnosed with Tourette's syndrome and Asperger syndrome. The symptoms had mostly subsided by the time he was 14.
- Many sources state that he was married in the 1970s to a woman named Maureen Lewis and had three sons (Mark, Lloyd and Oscar). However, the marriage never occurred and the three kids never existed. What happened was that before Aykroyd became famous, he filled out a questionnaire from the publishers of Who's Who and made up a phony biography complete with a wife and kids.
- He has owned or co-owned several bars and restaurants, including the Hard Rock Cafe in New York City and the House of Blues chain.