Feb. 23rd, 1994
Conyers, Georgia, USA
Dakota Fanning's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Hannah Dakota Fanning (born February 23, 1994), known as Dakota Fanning, is an American actress who rose to prominence after her breakthrough performance at age seven in the 2001 film I Am Sam. Her performance earned her a nomination for a Screen Actors Guild Award at age eight in 2002, making her the youngest nominee in history.
Born in Conyers, Georgia. Her mother, Heather Joy (née Arrington), played tennis professionally and her father, Steven J. Fanning, played minor league baseball and now works as an electronics salesman in Los Angeles, California. Fanning is the elder sister of 'Elle Fanning', also an actress.
As a child actress, Fanning went on to appear in high-profile films such as Man on Fire (2004), War of the Worlds (2005) and Charlotte's Web (2006). Fanning then began the transition to more adult roles with Hounddog (2007) and The Secret Life of Bees (2008). Her recent film roles have included the eponymous character in Coraline (2009), Cherie Currie in The Runaways (2010), and Jane Volturi in The Twilight Saga (2009–12).
Before her debut into the cinematic world, Fanning did her own acting around her house. She was very active for her age, and often put a blanket under her shirt and pretended to be having a baby, using her younger sister, who is also an actress now, Elle, as the baby. Fanning went to a playhouse near her home, where the children that attended put on a play every week to show to their parents. But the people running the playhouse noticed that Fanning stood out, and advised her parents, Joy and Steve Fanning, to take her to an agency. They believed that she was extremely talented.
The Fanning family were advised to spend six weeks in Los Angeles, a long way from their home in Georgia. But there Fanning managed to get her first work; to star in a national Tide commercial. She was chosen out of many, many other children.
The family then decided to move to Los Angeles permanently, for it looked like Fanning's career was looking very good. After they moved, Fanning signed with a professional agency, and soon won a role in the movie Tomcats (2001). She then went onto a small project called Father Xmas (2001) as Clairee.
After I Am Sam (2001) her talent was immediately recognized around the world. She went straight onto Trapped (2002) as Abby Jennings, alongside 'Charlize Theron', then played the younger version of 'Reese Witherspoon' in 2002's Sweet Home Alabama (2002) but Fanning still had two more movies to come in 2002. Firstly she got a huge role in Steven Spielberg's Taken (2002), the mini-TV series, and narrated the ten whole episodes, as well as having a part. This was a little more challenging, as she was playing a troubled alien child, but she managed to do brilliantly. Her last movie for 2002 was the children's movie Hansel & Gretel (2002) as Katie.
2003 was also a brilliant year for Fanning, as she starred in a number of exciting projects. Firstly, it was as Sally Walden in The Cat in the Hat (2003) with 'Mike Myers', then she played Lorraine "Ray" Schleine, a bratty little girl, in the sweet comedy Uptown Girls (2003) alongside 'Brittany Murphy'. She then voiced preschool Kim in Kim Possible: A Sitch in Time (2003).
In 2004, Fanning appeared in the violent thriller, Man on Fire (2004), alongside 'Denzel Washington'. Her reviews were excellent.
First in 2005 was Nine Lives (2005), as Maria, then the chilling Hide and Seek (2005) alongside 'Robert De Niro'. By now, she was the busiest child actress in Hollywood, with a resume to die for. Her younger sister, Mary Elle Fanning ('Elle Fanning'), had also been discovered a few years earlier.
After Hide and Seek (2005) came War of the Worlds (2005), which was one of her major movies out of everything she'd worked in. Not only did it make her more popular, but she got to play the daughter of A-list Hollywood actor 'Tom Cruise'. They had four very successful premieres; the first in Tokyo, Japan, the second in France, the third in London, England and the fourth in New York, USA. The reviews were outstanding, especially Fanning's. She then voiced Lilo in Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch Has a Glitch (2005), which she has just completed.
In June 2011, Fanning graduated from Campbell Hall School in North Hollywood, California, where she participated on the varsity spirit cheerleading squad and was voted homecoming queen. She is currently studying at New York University.
- On her eleventh birthday, 'Tom Cruise' (qv) gave her a cell phone.
- She chose her costumes and looks in _Push (2009)_ (qv). Some of the clothes were actually her own.
- Was listed as a potential nominee on the 2004 Razzie Award nominating ballot. She was suggested in the Worst Supporting Actress category for her role in _The Cat in the Hat (2003)_ (qv). She was also suggested in the Worst Screen Couple couple category with co-star 'Spencer Breslin' (qv) in the _The Cat in the Hat (2003)_ (qv). She failed to receive either nomination.
- Learned to read at age 2.
- Friends with her _Uptown Girls (2003)_ (qv) co-star 'Brittany Murphy' (qv).
- When she received the Best Young Actor/Actress award from the Broadcast Film Critics Association for her performance in _I Am Sam (2001)_ (qv), she was too short to reach the microphone to give her acceptance speech. Presenter 'Orlando Bloom' (qv) held her up to the mike for the duration of her speech, which turned out to be quite long.
- First time she visited England was on the 19th June 2005 with 'Tom Cruise' (qv), to attend the premiere of _War of the Worlds (2005)_ (qv) at London's Leicester Square.