Aug. 18th, 1964
Rye Brook, New York, USA
6' 3 1/2
Craig Bierko's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Bierko is perhaps best known for his role as Timothy in the 1996 action film The Long Kiss Goodnight, as Max Baer in the film Cinderella Man, as Tom Ryan in Scary Movie 4 (spoofing Tom Cruise throughout the film) and on the Broadway stage as Harold Hill in The Music Man. He was also the original choice for the character of Chandler Bing on the sitcom Friends but turned it down. He had a short role as Sarah Jessica Parker's jazz musician love interest in the fourth season of Sex and the City. He had another short role as attorney Jeffrey Coho during the third season of the ABC television series Boston Legal. He was also cast as Dave Lister in the infamous pilot for the American version of Red Dwarf, which was not picked up as a series. Craig was also in 2001's Kate and Leopold in an uncredited role as the actor in the market research film played at the beginning of the movie in the director's cut version (didn't make the theatrical copy).
Bierko was slated to appear on Broadway in the Manhattan Theatre Club production of To Be Or Not To Be but withdrew from the production Aug. 29, 2008, for unspecified reasons. He recently starred as Sky Masterson in the Broadway revival of Guys and Dolls which began performances at the Nederlander Theatre on Feb. 5, 2009, and officially opened on March 1, 2009. The production closed on June 14, 2009 after 113 performances.
Bierko was born in Rye Brook, New York, the son of Pat and Rex Bierko, who ran a local community theater. Bierko studied journalism at Boston University and studied at the School of Speech at Northwestern University (graduating in 1986).
Bierko has been involved with a number of actresses, such as Charlize Theron, Gretchen Mol (with whom he co-starred in the film The 13th Floor), Janeane Garofalo, and Meg Ryan.
Bierko's mother was Jewish and a convert to Catholicism, raising Bierko Catholic, although Bierko has said that he is "very connected" to his Jewish heritage.
- He played traveling salesman Professor Harold Hill in the Broadway revival of Meredith Willson's The Music Man which opened on April 27, 2000. He was later nominated for a Tony for best performance by a leading actor in a musical that same year.
- He studied journalism at Boston University and studied at the School of Speech at Northwestern University in 1986. Other NU alumni include NRA president 'Charlton Heston' (qv).
- 'Renny Harlin' (qv) credits Bierko with suggesting the song She's Not There by Santana in the movie _The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996)_ (qv).
- In early 1990s, frequented West Hollywood's celebrity friendly Martin Henry Fitness Studio with good buddy 'Helen Hunt (I)' (qv) and took Nelson Aspen's step-aerobics class.
- Was originally cast as Chandler in _"Friends" (1994)_ (qv) but turned down the role and was replaced by 'Matthew Perry (I)' (qv).
- (November 2000) Given title Sexiest Broadway Star by People Magazine.
- Gained a good deal of muscle and bulk to play boxer 'Max Baer' (qv) in _Cinderella Man (2005)_ (qv).