May. 30th, 1953
Colm Meaney's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2010 - Get Him To the Greek
2009 - The Damned United
2009 - Law Abiding Citizen
2008 - Three and Out
2008 - Clean Break
2006 - Five Fingers
2004 - Blueberry
2004 - Layer Cake
2003 - Intermission
1999 - Mystery, Alaska
1998 - Claire Dolan
1998 - Snitch
1998 - October 22
1997 - Con Air
1996 - The Van
1995 - The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain
1994 - The Road to Wellville
1994 - War of the Buttons
1992 - Under Siege
1992 - The Last of the Mohicans
1992 - Far and Away
1992 - Into The West
1991 - The Commitments
1990 - Dick Tracy
1990 - Die Hard 2: Die Harder
Guest TV Roles
Judge Harold Garrett
Dr. Irwin Malcolm
Man in Tavern
Tom O'Flanagan (Voiced)
Colm J. Meaney is an Irish actor widely known for playing Miles O'Brien in Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. He is second only to Michael Dorn in most appearances in Star Trek episodes. He has guest-starred on many TV shows from Law & Order to The Simpsons, and hell on wheels
Meaney was born in dublin. He started studying acting when he was fourteen years of age, and entered the abbey theatre school of Acting after secondary school. He became a member of the irish national theatre.
and worked for the next eight years in England, touring with several theatre companies. Meaney's first television appearance was in z cars on bbc1 in 1978.
Meaney's first marriage in 1977 was to Irish actress Bairbre Dowling,with whom he had a daughter, Brenda, in 1989. They divorced in 1994 He married a second time in March 2007 to French costume designer, Ines Glorian, with whom he had a daughter, Ada, in 2005. He currently lives in the Majorcan town of soller He is unrelated to the science fiction writer John Meaney , the latter has a brother named Colm Meaney.
Meaney is an outspoken supporter of the Irish Republican political party Sinn Féin. While not currently a member, he has said that he had joined the party when he was 14 In October 2011, Meaney supported the Sinn Féin politician Martin McGuinness in his Irish presidential election bid.
- Was a background character on _"Star Trek: The Next Generation" (1987)_ (qv)'s pilot episode, Encounter at Farpoint (1987). He had a semi-recurring role as "Battle Bridge Conn." His character was eventually given a name and rank (transporter chief Miles Edward O'Brien). He was made the engineer of DS9 on _"Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" (1993)_ (qv) in 1993.
- Along with 'Jonathan Frakes' (qv), 'Brent Spiner' (qv), 'Marina Sirtis' (qv), 'Michael Dorn (I)' (qv), and 'Jeffrey Combs' (qv), he is one of only six actors to appear in the finales of two different "Star Trek" series: _"Star Trek: The Next Generation" (1987)_ (qv) and _"Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" (1993)_ (qv).
- Is the only actor to appear in 14 different seasons of "Star Trek," more than any other actor (_"Star Trek: The Next Generation" (1987)_ (qv), seasons 1 through 7, and _"Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" (1993)_ (qv), seasons 1 through 7).
- Despite having different names in each movie, he played the same character in _The Commitments (1991)_ (qv), _The Snapper (1993) (TV)_ (qv) and _The Van (1996)_ (qv).
- Along with 'Patrick Stewart (I)' (qv) and 'Armin Shimerman' (qv), he is one of only three actors to appear in the pilots of two different "Star Trek" series: _"Star Trek: The Next Generation" (1987)_ (qv) and _"Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" (1993)_ (qv) for Patrick and Colm. Armin appeared in _"Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" (1993)_ (qv) and _"Star Trek: Voyager" (1995)_ (qv).
- Both he and his _"Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" (1993)_ (qv) co-star 'Rene Auberjonois' (qv), appeared in "Stargate" series, each playing the leader of a human civilization on another planet whose population lived under the surface. In both cases, the main characters of the series in question attempted to form an alliance and arrange an exchange of technology before learning that this civilization could not be trusted. Meaney played Cowen, leader of the Genii in three episodes of _"Stargate: Atlantis" (2004)_ (qv); Auberjonois played Alar, leader of the Eurondans, in one episode of _"Stargate SG-1" (1997)_ (qv).
- Acted in the Focus Company in Dublin with 'Gabriel Byrne' (qv) and 'Stephen Rea (I)' (qv) in the late 1970s.
- Played the same character, Chief Miles Edward O'Brien, on _"Star Trek: The Next Generation" (1987)_ (qv) and _"Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" (1993)_ (qv) for twelve consecutive years from 1987 to 1999. The only other "Star Trek" actor to do this is 'Michael Dorn (I)' (qv).