May. 30th, 1953
Guest TV Roles
Judge Harold Garrett
Dr. Irwin Malcolm
Man in Tavern
Colm J. Meaney is an Irish actor widely known for playing Miles O'Brien in Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. He is second only to Michael Dorn in most appearances in Star Trek episodes. He has guest-starred on many TV shows from Law & Order to The Simpsons, and hell on wheels
Meaney was born in dublin. He started studying acting when he was fourteen years of age, and entered the abbey theatre school of Acting after secondary school. He became a member of the irish national theatre.
and worked for the next eight years in England, touring with several theatre companies. Meaney's first television appearance was in z cars on bbc1 in 1978.
Meaney's first marriage in 1977 was to Irish actress Bairbre Dowling,with whom he had a daughter, Brenda, in 1989. They divorced in 1994 He married a second time in March 2007 to French costume designer, Ines Glorian, with whom he had a daughter, Ada, in 2005. He currently lives in the Majorcan town of soller He is unrelated to the science fiction writer John Meaney , the latter has a brother named Colm Meaney.
Meaney is an outspoken supporter of the Irish Republican political party Sinn Féin. While not currently a member, he has said that he had joined the party when he was 14 In October 2011, Meaney supported the Sinn Féin politician Martin McGuinness in his Irish presidential election bid.
- Was offered the chance to direct an episode of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine like his DS9 co stars Avery Brooks, Rene Auberjonois, Alexander Siddig, Michael Dorn and Andrew Robinson, but declined.
- Is the only actor to appear in 14 different seasons of "Star Trek," more than any other actor (_"Star Trek: The Next Generation" (1987)_ (qv), seasons 1 through 7, and _"Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" (1993)_ (qv), seasons 1 through 7).
- Acted in the Focus Company in Dublin with 'Gabriel Byrne' (qv) and 'Stephen Rea (I)' (qv) in the late 1970s.
- His role and rank in the Star Trek series took several years to evolve. Beginning as a crewman in _"Star Trek: The Next Generation" (1987)_ (qv) the character of Miles O'Brien then graduated to the transporter room and was briefly a lieutenant before being made a chief petty officer, thus joining one of the very few recurring enlisted roles in Star Trek (Mr Leslie and Yeoman Rand being two others from the original series). Transferring to _"Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" (1993)_ (qv), the O'Brien character mutated the first two seasons between a warrant officer and an ensign junior grade before again becoming enlisted as a senior chief petty officer around the fourth season. In the last seasons of _"Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" (1993)_ (qv), the rank of senior chief was once and for all confirmed and O'Brien became the first-ever Star Trek enlisted character to be given an enlisted rank insignia collar pin.
- Along with 'Patrick Stewart (I)' (qv) and 'Armin Shimerman' (qv), he is one of only three actors to appear in the pilots of two different "Star Trek" series: _"Star Trek: The Next Generation" (1987)_ (qv) and _"Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" (1993)_ (qv) for Patrick and Colm. Armin appeared in _"Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" (1993)_ (qv) and _"Star Trek: Voyager" (1995)_ (qv).
- Both he and his _"Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" (1993)_ (qv) co-star 'Rene Auberjonois' (qv), appeared in "Stargate" series, each playing the leader of a human civilization on another planet whose population lived under the surface. In both cases, the main characters of the series in question attempted to form an alliance and arrange an exchange of technology before learning that this civilization could not be trusted. Meaney played Cowen, leader of the Genii in three episodes of _"Stargate: Atlantis" (2004)_ (qv); Auberjonois played Alar, leader of the Eurondans, in one episode of _"Stargate SG-1" (1997)_ (qv).
- Played the same character, Chief Miles Edward O'Brien, on _"Star Trek: The Next Generation" (1987)_ (qv) and _"Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" (1993)_ (qv) for twelve consecutive years from 1987 to 1999. The only other "Star Trek" actor to do this is 'Michael Dorn (I)' (qv).
- Was a background character on _"Star Trek: The Next Generation" (1987)_ (qv)'s pilot episode, Encounter at Farpoint (1987). He had a semi-recurring role as "Battle Bridge Conn." His character was eventually given a name and rank (transporter chief Miles Edward O'Brien). He was made the engineer of DS9 on _"Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" (1993)_ (qv) in 1993.