May. 31st, 1976
Castleknock, Dublin, Ireland
Colin Farrell's Main TV Roles[no roles found]
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
A native of Dublin, Ireland, Colin Farrell began turning heads in Hollywood when he starred in Joel Schumacher's Tigerland (2000), the story of American soldiers taken to the backwoods of Louisiana in 1971 to play war games in preparation for their first tour of duty in Vietnam. He garnered a Best Actor Award from the Boston Society of Film Critics for his portrayal of Bozz, a roughneck Texan recruit who helps his boot-camp buddies avoid Vietnam combat. Farrell also starred alongside Kevin Spacey in 'Thaddeus OSullivan's Dublin gangster movie Ordinary Decent Criminal (2000). It was Spacey who suggested him for the part after catching Farrell's riveting performance in the play "In a Little World of Our Own" at the Donmar Warehouse in London.
Born on May 31, 1976, Farrell studied acting at the Gaiety School of Drama in Dublin and had established himself as a recognizable talent back home with a starring role in the BBC series "Ballykissangel" (1996) and Deirdre Purcell's miniseries Falling for a Dancer (1998) (TV), in addition to a featured role in Tim Roth (I)'s directorial debut, The War Zone (1999). After "Tigerland", Farrell took on the role of Jesse James in American Outlaws (2001). Farrell then had a starring role in Phone Booth (2002), reuniting him with director Schumacher. He also co-starred with Bruce Willis in Hart's War (2002), which was shot on location in Prague, Czech Republic. Along the way Farrell has managed to work with legendary directors such as Steven Spielberg in Minority Report (2002). All this has happened for Colin by the age of 25, making him one of Hollywood's A-list young actors.
- On his left ring finger, above the knuckle he has the name "Millie" tattooed. "Millie" was a nickname for his first wife, 'Amelia Warner' (qv).
- His mother, Rita, forced him to take dancing lessons once his brother, Emmon Farrell Jr., started them. Emmon Jr. also got him into acting by attending an acting school and later recommending it to Colin.
- His son James has Angelman Syndrome, a rare genetic disorder.
- Has twice taken roles meant for 'Heath Ledger' (qv). One of the roles was _Alexander (2004)_ (qv), the second role was _The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009)_ (qv). Farrell, along with Jude Law and Johnny Depp, will play a physically altered form of Ledger's character as he travels through different worlds.
- His acting idols and influences are 'Al Pacino' (qv), 'Steve McQueen (I)' (qv), 'Paul Newman (I)' (qv), 'Clint Eastwood' (qv), 'James Caan (I)' (qv), and 'Marlon Brando' (qv).
- Former son-in-law of actress 'Annette Ekblom' (qv).
- Was originally considered for the role of Matt Murdock/Daredevil in the 2003 film adaptation of the _Daredevil (2003)_ (qv) comic while 'Ben Affleck' (qv), who ultimately played Murdock, was originally considered for the part of Bullseye (Farrell's character).
- _Daredevil (2003)_ (qv) marks the first time he has been able to use his own Irish accent in an American movie.