Jan. 5th, 1959
Urbana, Ohio, USA
Guest TV Roles
Red Hulk (Voiced)
Cop #1 (Voiced)
Alex O'Hirn (Voiced)
Alexander Paine (Voiced)
Savage Opress (Voiced)
Dr. Ellis West
Mr. Freeze (Voiced)
Clarence J. "Clancy" Brown III (born January 5, 1959) is an American actor and voice actor. He is known for his roles in live action as The Kurgan in the cult classic film Highlander, Byron Hadley in the award-winning The Shawshank Redemption, Brother Justin Crowe in HBO's critically acclaimed Carnivàle, Career Sergeant Zim in Starship Troopers and the killer Steve in Shoot to Kill.
Brown also works extensively as a voice actor in animated films and TV series, notably portraying Mr. Eugene H. Krabs in the hit animated series SpongeBob SquarePants and having portrayed Lex Luthor for longer and in more appearances than any other actor, voicing him throughout the DC animated universe and the film Superman/Batman: Public Enemies. He also voiced Raiden in Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm, Gorrath in Megas XLR, Captain Black and Ratso in Jackie Chan Adventures, Vice-Principal Pangborn in All Grown Up, Otto in Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go!, Silas in Transformers: Prime, Destro in G.I. Joe: Renegades and Savage Opress in Star Wars: The Clone Wars.
- In 1999 he spearheaded a charity campaign to raise funds for 'J. Madison Wright' (qv), the young girl who played his screen daughter in the TV show _"Earth 2" (1994)_ (qv). Madison, then aged 15, had developed cardiomyopathy and was in dire need of a heart transplant, a very costly operation which exceeded her family's lifetime health insurance policy. Clancy offered to assist the Wrights in their plight. He also bought young Madison a laptop computer for Christmas in 1999. Tragically, Madison died seven years later, in July 2006, of a heart attack.
- Was hospitalized after becoming sick from the prosthetic make up he wore as Viktor in _The Bride (1985)_ (qv). He was reluctant to don prosthetics for his role in _Highlander (1986)_ (qv).
- Is a patron of the Beth Brown Memorial Fund, a scholarship programme designed to assist poorer students who wish to study in the field of paediatric healthcare. The charity is in honour of his elder sister who died in childhood of leukaemia in 1964. It has since expanded to also offer the Clarence J. Brown Scholarship for students interested in pursuing careers in government and public service as well as the Robert Townsley Scholarship for students of journalism.
- For _Highlander (1986)_ (qv), he said that he made a lifelong friend in 'Bob Anderson (III)' (qv), the swordmaster for that film as well as the "Star Wars" trilogy. He said if he hadn't been an actor, he would have been (in order) a fireman, an aristocrat, an archaeologist/anthropologist, a scuba diver, and a circus acrobat.
- Often cast as a villain, but has been described as a very friendly man in real life.
- Member of the Sigma Chi Fraternity.
- According to the trivia track on the DVD of _The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (1984)_ (qv), his character, Rawhide, did not die but went into a deep coma, and that he was expected to recover very soon.
- First acted on stage during a 7th grade school play of "The Mouse That Roared".