Jan. 5th, 1959
Urbana, Ohio, USA
Guest TV Roles
Red Hulk (Voiced)
Alexander Paine (Voiced)
Savage Opress (Voiced)
Dr. Ellis West
Mr. Freeze (Voiced)
Clarence J. "Clancy" Brown III (born January 5, 1959) is an American actor and voice actor. He is known for his roles in live action as The Kurgan in the cult classic film Highlander, Byron Hadley in the award-winning The Shawshank Redemption, Brother Justin Crowe in HBO's critically acclaimed Carnivàle, Career Sergeant Zim in Starship Troopers and the killer Steve in Shoot to Kill.
Brown also works extensively as a voice actor in animated films and TV series, notably portraying Mr. Eugene H. Krabs in the hit animated series SpongeBob SquarePants and having portrayed Lex Luthor for longer and in more appearances than any other actor, voicing him throughout the DC animated universe and the film Superman/Batman: Public Enemies. He also voiced Raiden in Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm, Gorrath in Megas XLR, Captain Black and Ratso in Jackie Chan Adventures, Vice-Principal Pangborn in All Grown Up, Otto in Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go!, Silas in Transformers: Prime, Destro in G.I. Joe: Renegades and Savage Opress in Star Wars: The Clone Wars.
- Claims to have been introduced to acting by a neighbor who got him into 'William Shakespeare (I)' (qv) at a young age.
- His mother was a concert pianist.
- Originally attended Northwestern University on a track scholarship as a discus-thrower, but switched majors after two seasons.
- Is a patron of the Beth Brown Memorial Fund, a scholarship programme designed to assist poorer students who wish to study in the field of paediatric healthcare. The charity is in honour of his elder sister who died in childhood of leukaemia in 1964. It has since expanded to also offer the Clarence J. Brown Scholarship for students interested in pursuing careers in government and public service as well as the Robert Townsley Scholarship for students of journalism.
- Was hospitalized after becoming sick from the prosthetic make up he wore as Viktor in _The Bride (1985)_ (qv). He was reluctant to don prosthetics for his role in _Highlander (1986)_ (qv).
- Collects animation art.
- Although his character Rawhide dies in _The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (1984)_ (qv), he is still under contract to appear in a sequel to the film.
- Originally auditioned for the role of Superman/Clark Kent on 'Bruce W. Timm' (qv)'s _"Superman" (1996)_ (qv) The Animated Series, but Timm felt his voice was better suited to Lex Luthor, bringing the arch villain a smooth combination of menacing brute and charming manipulator. 'Tim Daly (I)' (qv) was then cast as Superman/Clark Kent instead.