Jan. 5th, 1959
Urbana, Ohio, USA
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Clarence J. "Clancy" Brown III (born January 5, 1959) is an American actor and voice actor. He is known for his roles in live action as The Kurgan in the cult classic film Highlander, Byron Hadley in the award-winning The Shawshank Redemption, Brother Justin Crowe in HBO's critically acclaimed Carnivàle, Career Sergeant Zim in Starship Troopers and the killer Steve in Shoot to Kill.
Brown also works extensively as a voice actor in animated films and TV series, notably portraying Mr. Eugene H. Krabs in the hit animated series SpongeBob SquarePants and having portrayed Lex Luthor for longer and in more appearances than any other actor, voicing him throughout the DC animated universe and the film Superman/Batman: Public Enemies. He also voiced Raiden in Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm, Gorrath in Megas XLR, Captain Black and Ratso in Jackie Chan Adventures, Vice-Principal Pangborn in All Grown Up, Otto in Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go!, Silas in Transformers: Prime, Destro in G.I. Joe: Renegades and Savage Opress in Star Wars: The Clone Wars.
- Was hospitalized after becoming sick from the prosthetic make up he wore as Viktor in _The Bride (1985)_ (qv). He was reluctant to don prosthetics for his role in _Highlander (1986)_ (qv).
- Both his grandfather and father (Clarence J. Brown, Sr. & Jr.) were United States Representatives from the 7th District of Ohio. Clarence Sr. served from 1939 to 1965; Clarence Jr. from 1965 to 1983. Both were also candidates for governor of Ohio, both unsuccessful.
- Originally attended Northwestern University on a track scholarship as a discus-thrower, but switched majors after two seasons.
- Both he and Highlander co-star Christopher Lambert have portrayed the Mortal Kombat character Rayden. Lambert played Rayden in the 1995 movie, Mortal Kombat, while Brown portrayed Rayden in the Mortal Kombat Animated Series.
- Often cast as a villain, but has been described as a very friendly man in real life.
- Daughter Rose Beth Brown (born in October 1995). He also has a son born in 2003.
- Collects animation art.
- His mother was a concert pianist.