Jan. 5th, 1959
Urbana, Ohio, USA
Guest TV Roles
Old Biker (Voiced)
Alexander Paine (Voiced)
Human Bounty Hunter (Voiced)
Dr. Ellis West
Mr. Freeze (Voiced)
Clarence J. "Clancy" Brown III (born January 5, 1959) is an American actor and voice actor. He is known for his roles in live action as The Kurgan in the cult classic film Highlander, Byron Hadley in the award-winning The Shawshank Redemption, Brother Justin Crowe in HBO's critically acclaimed Carnivàle, Career Sergeant Zim in Starship Troopers and the killer Steve in Shoot to Kill.
Brown also works extensively as a voice actor in animated films and TV series, notably portraying Mr. Eugene H. Krabs in the hit animated series SpongeBob SquarePants and having portrayed Lex Luthor for longer and in more appearances than any other actor, voicing him throughout the DC animated universe and the film Superman/Batman: Public Enemies. He also voiced Raiden in Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm, Gorrath in Megas XLR, Captain Black and Ratso in Jackie Chan Adventures, Vice-Principal Pangborn in All Grown Up, Otto in Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go!, Silas in Transformers: Prime, Destro in G.I. Joe: Renegades and Savage Opress in Star Wars: The Clone Wars.
- Has three times played senior prison officers in movies dealing with miscarriages of justice: in _The Shawshank Redemption (1994)_ (qv), the tyrannical Capt. Hadley; in _The Hurricane (1999)_ (qv), the sympathetic Lt. Williams; and in _Last Light (1993) (TV)_ (qv) as Lt. McMannis.
- Claims to have been introduced to acting by a neighbor who got him into 'William Shakespeare (I)' (qv) at a young age.
- Due to his role of Kurgan in _Highlander (1986)_ (qv), his voice was featured on the 'Queen (I)' (qv) song "Gimme The Prize (Kurgan's Theme)". An alternate version appeared in the film itself, but samples of his voice are included on the 1986 studio album "A Kind of Magic".
- Has played two characters named Capt. Hadley: _The Guardian (2006/I)_ (qv) and _The Shawshank Redemption (1994)_ (qv).
- For _Highlander (1986)_ (qv), he said that he made a lifelong friend in 'Bob Anderson (III)' (qv), the swordmaster for that film as well as the "Star Wars" trilogy. He said if he hadn't been an actor, he would have been (in order) a fireman, an aristocrat, an archaeologist/anthropologist, a scuba diver, and a circus acrobat.
- Both he and Highlander co-star Christopher Lambert have portrayed the Mortal Kombat character Rayden. Lambert played Rayden in the 1995 movie, Mortal Kombat, while Brown portrayed Rayden in the Mortal Kombat Animated Series.
- Collects animation art.
- Often cast as a villain, but has been described as a very friendly man in real life.