Jan. 5th, 1959
Urbana, Ohio, USA
Guest TV Roles
Alexander Paine (Voiced)
Savage Opress (Voiced)
Dr. Ellis West
Mr. Freeze (Voiced)
Robot Pilot (Voiced)
Long Feng (Voiced)
Clarence J. "Clancy" Brown III (born January 5, 1959) is an American actor and voice actor. He is known for his roles in live action as The Kurgan in the cult classic film Highlander, Byron Hadley in the award-winning The Shawshank Redemption, Brother Justin Crowe in HBO's critically acclaimed Carnivàle, Career Sergeant Zim in Starship Troopers and the killer Steve in Shoot to Kill.
Brown also works extensively as a voice actor in animated films and TV series, notably portraying Mr. Eugene H. Krabs in the hit animated series SpongeBob SquarePants and having portrayed Lex Luthor for longer and in more appearances than any other actor, voicing him throughout the DC animated universe and the film Superman/Batman: Public Enemies. He also voiced Raiden in Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm, Gorrath in Megas XLR, Captain Black and Ratso in Jackie Chan Adventures, Vice-Principal Pangborn in All Grown Up, Otto in Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go!, Silas in Transformers: Prime, Destro in G.I. Joe: Renegades and Savage Opress in Star Wars: The Clone Wars.
- Both he and Highlander co-star Christopher Lambert have portrayed the Mortal Kombat character Rayden. Lambert played Rayden in the 1995 movie, Mortal Kombat, while Brown portrayed Rayden in the Mortal Kombat Animated Series.
- Was hospitalized after becoming sick from the prosthetic make up he wore as Viktor in _The Bride (1985)_ (qv). He was reluctant to don prosthetics for his role in _Highlander (1986)_ (qv).
- Originally auditioned for the role of Superman/Clark Kent on 'Bruce W. Timm' (qv)'s _"Superman" (1996)_ (qv) The Animated Series, but Timm felt his voice was better suited to Lex Luthor, bringing the arch villain a smooth combination of menacing brute and charming manipulator. 'Tim Daly (I)' (qv) was then cast as Superman/Clark Kent instead.
- For _Highlander (1986)_ (qv), he said that he made a lifelong friend in 'Bob Anderson (III)' (qv), the swordmaster for that film as well as the "Star Wars" trilogy. He said if he hadn't been an actor, he would have been (in order) a fireman, an aristocrat, an archaeologist/anthropologist, a scuba diver, and a circus acrobat.
- Has three times played senior prison officers in movies dealing with miscarriages of justice: in _The Shawshank Redemption (1994)_ (qv), the tyrannical Capt. Hadley; in _The Hurricane (1999)_ (qv), the sympathetic Lt. Williams; and in _Last Light (1993) (TV)_ (qv) as Lt. McMannis.
- Has played two characters named Capt. Hadley: _The Guardian (2006/I)_ (qv) and _The Shawshank Redemption (1994)_ (qv).
- Claims to have been introduced to acting by a neighbor who got him into 'William Shakespeare (I)' (qv) at a young age.
- Although his character Rawhide dies in _The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (1984)_ (qv), he is still under contract to appear in a sequel to the film.