Jan. 5th, 1959
Urbana, Ohio, USA
Guest TV Roles
Red Hulk (Voiced)
Alexander Paine (Voiced)
Savage Opress (Voiced)
Dr. Ellis West
Mr. Freeze (Voiced)
Robot Pilot (Voiced)
Clarence J. "Clancy" Brown III (born January 5, 1959) is an American actor and voice actor. He is known for his roles in live action as The Kurgan in the cult classic film Highlander, Byron Hadley in the award-winning The Shawshank Redemption, Brother Justin Crowe in HBO's critically acclaimed Carnivàle, Career Sergeant Zim in Starship Troopers and the killer Steve in Shoot to Kill.
Brown also works extensively as a voice actor in animated films and TV series, notably portraying Mr. Eugene H. Krabs in the hit animated series SpongeBob SquarePants and having portrayed Lex Luthor for longer and in more appearances than any other actor, voicing him throughout the DC animated universe and the film Superman/Batman: Public Enemies. He also voiced Raiden in Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm, Gorrath in Megas XLR, Captain Black and Ratso in Jackie Chan Adventures, Vice-Principal Pangborn in All Grown Up, Otto in Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go!, Silas in Transformers: Prime, Destro in G.I. Joe: Renegades and Savage Opress in Star Wars: The Clone Wars.
- Went to Northwestern University, where he was in the theater program.
- His mother was a concert pianist.
- Has three times played senior prison officers in movies dealing with miscarriages of justice: in _The Shawshank Redemption (1994)_ (qv), the tyrannical Capt. Hadley; in _The Hurricane (1999)_ (qv), the sympathetic Lt. Williams; and in _Last Light (1993) (TV)_ (qv) as Lt. McMannis.
- For _Highlander (1986)_ (qv), he said that he made a lifelong friend in 'Bob Anderson (III)' (qv), the swordmaster for that film as well as the "Star Wars" trilogy. He said if he hadn't been an actor, he would have been (in order) a fireman, an aristocrat, an archaeologist/anthropologist, a scuba diver, and a circus acrobat.
- Both his grandfather and father (Clarence J. Brown, Sr. & Jr.) were United States Representatives from the 7th District of Ohio. Clarence Sr. served from 1939 to 1965; Clarence Jr. from 1965 to 1983. Both were also candidates for governor of Ohio, both unsuccessful.
- In 1999 he spearheaded a charity campaign to raise funds for 'J. Madison Wright' (qv), the young girl who played his screen daughter in the TV show _"Earth 2" (1994)_ (qv). Madison, then aged 15, had developed cardiomyopathy and was in dire need of a heart transplant, a very costly operation which exceeded her family's lifetime health insurance policy. Clancy offered to assist the Wrights in their plight. He also bought young Madison a laptop computer for Christmas in 1999. Tragically, Madison died seven years later, in July 2006, of a heart attack.
- Describes himself as an avid reader who particularly enjoys the works of 'Frank Herbert' (qv).
- Due to his role of Kurgan in _Highlander (1986)_ (qv), his voice was featured on the 'Queen (I)' (qv) song "Gimme The Prize (Kurgan's Theme)". An alternate version appeared in the film itself, but samples of his voice are included on the 1986 studio album "A Kind of Magic".