Jan. 5th, 1959
Urbana, Ohio, USA
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Clarence J. "Clancy" Brown III (born January 5, 1959) is an American actor and voice actor. He is known for his roles in live action as The Kurgan in the cult classic film Highlander, Byron Hadley in the award-winning The Shawshank Redemption, Brother Justin Crowe in HBO's critically acclaimed Carnivàle, Career Sergeant Zim in Starship Troopers and the killer Steve in Shoot to Kill.
Brown also works extensively as a voice actor in animated films and TV series, notably portraying Mr. Eugene H. Krabs in the hit animated series SpongeBob SquarePants and having portrayed Lex Luthor for longer and in more appearances than any other actor, voicing him throughout the DC animated universe and the film Superman/Batman: Public Enemies. He also voiced Raiden in Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm, Gorrath in Megas XLR, Captain Black and Ratso in Jackie Chan Adventures, Vice-Principal Pangborn in All Grown Up, Otto in Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go!, Silas in Transformers: Prime, Destro in G.I. Joe: Renegades and Savage Opress in Star Wars: The Clone Wars.
- Has three times played senior prison officers in movies dealing with miscarriages of justice: in _The Shawshank Redemption (1994)_ (qv), the tyrannical Capt. Hadley; in _The Hurricane (1999)_ (qv), the sympathetic Lt. Williams; and in _Last Light (1993) (TV)_ (qv) as Lt. McMannis.
- On August 20, 2002, he was named chairman of the board of Brown Publishing, a newspaper company owned by his family. He has been a board member since 1987.
- According to the trivia track on the DVD of _The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (1984)_ (qv), his character, Rawhide, did not die but went into a deep coma, and that he was expected to recover very soon.
- Originally attended Northwestern University on a track scholarship as a discus-thrower, but switched majors after two seasons.
- Collects animation art.
- Originally auditioned for the role of Superman/Clark Kent on 'Bruce W. Timm' (qv)'s _"Superman" (1996)_ (qv) The Animated Series, but Timm felt his voice was better suited to Lex Luthor, bringing the arch villain a smooth combination of menacing brute and charming manipulator. 'Tim Daly (I)' (qv) was then cast as Superman/Clark Kent instead.
- Daughter Rose Beth Brown (born in October 1995). He also has a son born in 2003.
- Went to Northwestern University, where he was in the theater program.