Dec. 19th, 1933
New York City, New York, USA
5' 3 1/2"
Cicely Tyson's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Cicely Tyson was raised in Harlem, New York by devoutly religious parents from the Caribbean island of Nevis. She was discovered by a fashion editor at Ebony magazine and, with her stunning looks, she quickly rose to the top of the modeling industry. In 1957, she began acting in Off-Broadway productions. She had small roles in feature films before she was cast as Portia in The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter (1968) in 1968. Four years later, Cicely was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actress for her sensational performance in the critically acclaimed film Sounder (1972). In 1974, she went on to portray a 110-year-old former slave in The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman (1974) (TV), which earned her two Emmys. While Cicely has not appeared steadily onscreen because of her loyality to only portray strong, positive images of Black women, she is without a doubt one of the most talented, beautiful actresses to have ever graced the stage and screen.
- In 1972 she and singer-actress 'Diana Ross (I)' (qv) were both nominated for "Best Actress in a Leading Role" Oscars for their performances in _Lady Sings the Blues (1972)_ (qv) and _Sounder (1972)_ (qv) respectively. This was only the second time in the history of the Academy Awards that African American actresses were nominated in the "Best Actress" Oscar category. The first was 'Dorothy Dandridge' (qv)'s nomination for _Carmen Jones (1954)_ (qv).
- Honorary member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
- Worked as a secretary and model while establishing herself as an actress
- Will only portray strong images of women
- She was the Thursday night host for CBS Radio's "Sears Mystery Theater" (1979). She was still Thursday's host when it became "The Mutual Radio Theater" on Mutual Radio (1980).
- Is one of only 7 African-American actresses to receive the Best Actress Oscar nomination. The others in chronological order are: 'Dorothy Dandridge' (qv), 'Diana Ross (I)' (qv), 'Diahann Carroll' (qv), 'Whoopi Goldberg' (qv), 'Angela Bassett' (qv) and 'Halle Berry' (qv).
- Now residing in Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
- The Cicely Tyson High School of Performing and Fine arts was named in her honor is located in East Orange, New Jersey.