Dec. 19th, 1933
New York City, New York, USA
5' 3 1/2"
Cicely Tyson's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2012 - Alex Cross
2011 - The Help
2010 - Why Did I Get Married Too?
2006 - Madea's Family Reunion
2006 - Idlewild
2005 - Diary of a Mad Black Woman
2005 - Because of Winn-Dixie
1997 - Hoodlum
1991 - Fried Green Tomatoes
1981 - Bustin' Loose
1972 - Sounder
1968 - The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter
1959 - Odds Against Tomorrow
Guest TV Roles
Carrie Grace Battle
Justice Gretchen Parkhurst
Herself - Host
Cicely Tyson was raised in Harlem, New York by devoutly religious parents from the Caribbean island of Nevis. She was discovered by a fashion editor at Ebony magazine and, with her stunning looks, she quickly rose to the top of the modeling industry. In 1957, she began acting in Off-Broadway productions. She had small roles in feature films before she was cast as Portia in The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter (1968) in 1968. Four years later, Cicely was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actress for her sensational performance in the critically acclaimed film Sounder (1972). In 1974, she went on to portray a 110-year-old former slave in The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman (1974) (TV), which earned her two Emmys. While Cicely has not appeared steadily onscreen because of her loyality to only portray strong, positive images of Black women, she is without a doubt one of the most talented, beautiful actresses to have ever graced the stage and screen.
- Will only portray strong images of women
- Is one of only 7 African-American actresses to receive the Best Actress Oscar nomination. The others in chronological order are: 'Dorothy Dandridge' (qv), 'Diana Ross (I)' (qv), 'Diahann Carroll' (qv), 'Whoopi Goldberg' (qv), 'Angela Bassett' (qv) and 'Halle Berry' (qv).
- Now residing in Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
- Aunt of 'Cathy Tyson' (qv).
- The Cicely Tyson High School of Performing and Fine arts was named in her honor is located in East Orange, New Jersey.
- She was married to 'Miles Davis (I)' (qv) by 'Andrew Young (IV)' (qv) in the home of 'Bill Cosby' (qv). Bill Cosby was the best man, and gave away the bride.
- She was the Thursday night host for CBS Radio's "Sears Mystery Theater" (1979). She was still Thursday's host when it became "The Mutual Radio Theater" on Mutual Radio (1980).
- Honorary member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.