52 (passed away Oct. 10th, 2004)
Sep. 25th, 1952
New York City, New York, USA
Christopher Reeve's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles1995 - Above Suspicion
1994 - Speechless
1993 - The Remains of the Day
1992 - Noises Off...
1988 - Switching Channels
1987 - Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
1984 - The Bostonians
1983 - Superman III
1982 - Deathtrap
1980 - Superman II
1980 - Somewhere in Time
1978 - Gray Lady Down
1978 - Superman
Guest TV Roles
Christopher Reeve was born September 25, 1952, in New York City. At age four, his parents (journalist Barbara Johnson (XI) and writer/professor Franklin F.D. Reeve) divorced. His mother moved sons Christopher and Benjamin to Princeton, New Jersey, and married an investment banker a few years later. After graduating from high school, Reeve studied at Cornell University, while at the same time working as a professional actor. In his final year of Cornell, he was one of two students selected (Robin Williams (I) was the other) to study at New York's famous Juilliard School of Performing Arts, under the renowned John Houseman (I). Although Christopher is best known for his role as Superman (1978), a role which he played with both charisma and grace, his acting career spans a much larger ground. Paralyzed after a horse riding accident, he died suddenly at age 52, after several years of living and working with his severe disability.
- 'Jane Seymour (I)' (qv)'s son was named after him.
- A picture of him as "Superman" appears at the end credits of _European Vacation (1985)_ (qv).
- At the height of his popularity as Superman, a group of children who recognized him in a park purposefully threw their Frisbee over a fence and then asked him to fly after it. Trying hard not to hurt their feelings, Reeve replied he couldn't fly after the Frisbee because his cape was in the washer, so they settled for him just reaching over the fence and handing it back to them.
- Children, with Gae Exton: 'Matthew Reeve' (qv) (b. 1979) and 'Alexandra Reeve' (qv) (b. 1982).
- Died at Northern Westchester Hospital in Mount Kisco, New York, after suffering heart failure while being treated for a severely infected pressure wound (common among paralyzed people).
- He had a love of Scotland and its countryside. He often visited Scotland with his family.
- His friend 'Jane Seymour (I)' (qv) used to call him Superfoot because of his tendency to step on her toes while filming their dance scenes from _Somewhere in Time (1980)_ (qv).
- Was offered 'Richard Gere' (qv)'s role in _Pretty Woman (1990)_ (qv). When he went in to do a reading, he was not given actress 'Julia Roberts (I)' (qv) to read with, but the casting director, giving a half hearted effort at best. Reeve felt this was extremely unprofessional and chose not to do the film.