Oct. 22nd, 1938
Stamford, Connecticut, USA
Guest TV Roles
The Woodsman (Voiced)
Dr. Cletus Poffenberger
Himself - Interviewee
Dr. Emmett Brown (Voiced)
The Continental Op
Professor B.O. Beanes
Lloyd was born in Stamford, Connecticut, the son of Samuel R. Lloyd, a lawyer, and his wife Ruth (née Lapham), a singer and sister of San Francisco mayor Roger Lapham. He is the youngest of four girls and three boys, one of whom, Samuel Lloyd, was an actor in the 1950s and 1960s. Lloyd's maternal grandfather, Lewis Lapham, was one of the founders of the Texaco oil company, and Lloyd is also a descendant of Mayflower passengers including John Howland. Lloyd was raised in New Canaan, Connecticut.
- In _Man on the Moon (1999)_ (qv), in scenes of _"Taxi" (1978)_ (qv), he appeared as himself, reprising his old role of Rev. Jim Ignatowski in the sitcom 20 years after the show itself was aired.
- Attended the prestigious Fessenden School in West Newton, Massachusetts.
- Has appeared in over two hundred plays, including many on Broadway, regional, and summer stock productions.
- Graduate from Staples High School in Westport, Connecticut, in 1958.
- Independent Spirit Award for _Twenty Bucks (1993)_ (qv), best supporting actor.
- For his brief 1985 scenes in _Back to the Future (1985)_ (qv), he wore prosthetic make-up to appear 30 years older than in his 1955 scenes, which dominate the film. In the sequels, the 1985 Doc Brown has more scenes. To avoid having to put him through extensive make-up every morning, writers 'Robert Zemeckis' (qv) and 'Bob Gale' (qv) came up with the idea of Doc Brown visiting a rejuvenation clinic in the future, which results in his face looking much younger.
- To prepare for the role of Taber in _One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)_ (qv), he lived in a mental institution for a few weeks and studied the patients. He modeled his character after one of the patients and stayed in character throughout all filming even when not on screen.
- At 19, he moved to Manhattan and began studying with the acting teacher Sanford Meisner at the Neighborhood Playhouse.