Oct. 22nd, 1938
Stamford, Connecticut, USA
Christopher Lloyd's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Lloyd was born in Stamford, Connecticut, the son of Samuel R. Lloyd, a lawyer, and his wife Ruth (née Lapham), a singer and sister of San Francisco mayor Roger Lapham. He is the youngest of four girls and three boys, one of whom, Samuel Lloyd, was an actor in the 1950s and 1960s. Lloyd's maternal grandfather, Lewis Lapham, was one of the founders of the Texaco oil company, and Lloyd is also a descendant of Mayflower passengers including John Howland. Lloyd was raised in New Canaan, Connecticut.
- In a scene in _Back to the Future (1985)_ (qv), his character Dr. Emmett L. "Doc" Brown, hangs on the arm of a large clock. This mimics a stunt done by 'Harold Lloyd (I)' (qv) (no relation) in the movie _Safety Last! (1923)_ (qv).
- Owns a home in Montana.
- For his brief 1985 scenes in _Back to the Future (1985)_ (qv), he wore prosthetic make-up to appear 30 years older than in his 1955 scenes, which dominate the film. In the sequels, the 1985 Doc Brown has more scenes. To avoid having to put him through extensive make-up every morning, writers 'Robert Zemeckis' (qv) and 'Bob Gale' (qv) came up with the idea of Doc Brown visiting a rejuvenation clinic in the future, which results in his face looking much younger.
- In _Man on the Moon (1999)_ (qv), in scenes of _"Taxi" (1978)_ (qv), he appeared as himself, reprising his old role of Rev. Jim Ignatowski in the sitcom 20 years after the show itself was aired.
- Younger brother of 'Sam Lloyd Sr.' (qv)
- Has appeared in over two hundred plays, including many on Broadway, regional, and summer stock productions.
- To prepare for the role of Taber in _One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)_ (qv), he lived in a mental institution for a few weeks and studied the patients. He modeled his character after one of the patients and stayed in character throughout all filming even when not on screen.
- As a young actor, he performed at the Yale Repertory Theater with 'Meryl Streep' (qv).