Oct. 22nd, 1938
Stamford, Connecticut, USA
Guest TV Roles
The Woodsman (Voiced)
Dr. Cletus Poffenberger
Himself - Interviewee
Dr. Emmett Brown (Voiced)
Professor B.O. Beanes
The Continental Op
Lloyd was born in Stamford, Connecticut, the son of Samuel R. Lloyd, a lawyer, and his wife Ruth (née Lapham), a singer and sister of San Francisco mayor Roger Lapham. He is the youngest of four girls and three boys, one of whom, Samuel Lloyd, was an actor in the 1950s and 1960s. Lloyd's maternal grandfather, Lewis Lapham, was one of the founders of the Texaco oil company, and Lloyd is also a descendant of Mayflower passengers including John Howland. Lloyd was raised in New Canaan, Connecticut.
- In a scene in _Back to the Future (1985)_ (qv), his character Dr. Emmett L. "Doc" Brown, hangs on the arm of a large clock. This mimics a stunt done by 'Harold Lloyd (I)' (qv) (no relation) in the movie _Safety Last! (1923)_ (qv).
- Attended the Neighborhood Playhouse in New York City.
- Shares his birthday with actor 'Jeff Goldblum' (qv).
- Graduate from Staples High School in Westport, Connecticut, in 1958.
- Attended the prestigious Fessenden School in West Newton, Massachusetts.
- At 19, he moved to Manhattan and began studying with the acting teacher Sanford Meisner at the Neighborhood Playhouse.
- To prepare for the role of Taber in _One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)_ (qv), he lived in a mental institution for a few weeks and studied the patients. He modeled his character after one of the patients and stayed in character throughout all filming even when not on screen.
- Had his first ever screen kiss with Mary Steenburgen in Back to the Future 3.