Aug. 18th, 1969
New York City, New York, USA
Christian Slater's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Christian Michael Leonard Slater (born August 18, 1969) in New York to 'Michael Hawkins', a well-known soap actor and 'Mary Jo Slater', a casting agent. Slater started in show business early, appearing on the soap opera The Edge of Night (1956) in 1976 at the age of 7. He went on to star in many Broadway shows in the early-1980s.
He rose to fame in Hollywood after landing the role of Binx Davey in The Legend of Billie Jean (1985). He moved to Los Angeles in 1987 to pursue a further acting career after dropping out of high school. After having a starring role in the cult hit Heathers (1988), he became somewhat known as the Hollywood bad-boy, having many run-ins with the law. He is also well-known for having dated stars such as 'Winona Ryder', 'Christina Applegate', 'Samantha Mathis' and was at one time engaged to actress/model 'Nina Huang'.
In 2000, he married Ryan Haddon, the daughter of 70s model Dayle Haddon. The couple have two children; Jaden Christopher (b. 1999) and Eliana Sophia (b. 2001). As of early 2005 they separated and later divorced, but remain dedicated to bring up their children.
- (9 Dec 1997) Sentenced to three months in jail (he served 59 days in a private L.A. jail in La Verne, California), and 36 months probation for assaulting his girlfriend Michelle Jonas and a police officer, as well as cocaine abuse.
- Attended Dalton School and the Professional Children's School.
- Past girlfriends include 'Kim Walker (I)' (qv), whom he broke up with during the filming of _Heathers (1988)_ (qv) for 'Winona Ryder' (qv), later 'Samantha Mathis' (qv), 'Christina Applegate' (qv) and 'Patricia Arquette' (qv). Has also been engaged to actress/model 'Nina Huang' (qv).
- During his interview and director's commentary on the DVD for _Der Name der Rose (1986)_ (qv), director Jean-Jacques Annaud reported that after 15-year-old Christian Slater had been cast as Adso of Melk, he was asked to read with three actresses auditioning for the role of "The Girl." He read first with Valentina Vargas and was scheduled to read with the other two actresses the next day, but that evening, he sent his mother (casting agent Mary Jo Slater) to tell Annaud that young Christian was so smitten with the 22-year-old Vargas that he didn't want the other two women to be considered. Annaud, amused, complied with Slater's wish.
- Is of English/Irish descent.
- Favorite song is "A Little Less Converstion" by 'Elvis Presley' (qv).
- (14 Jan 1998) Starts three month jail sentence. Released after 59 days for good behavior.
- As a teenager, he appeared in the musical "Merlin," one of the most expensive and most notorious flops in Broadway history. The show had been conceived as a vehicle for 'Doug Henning (I)' (qv)'s magic, with Henning playing the eponymous wizard. Slater played "Young Merlin" and "Arthur"; other stars included 'Chita Rivera' (qv) and 'Nathan Lane (I)' (qv) (in what was only his second Broadway role).