84 (passed away Apr. 5th, 2008)
Oct. 4th, 1923
Evanston, Illinois, USA
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Actor (segment "Charlton Heston")
Himself - Host
Col. Jesse Price
Chief Justice Haden Wainwright
Lt. Paul Peterson
With features chiseled in stone, who else but Charlton Heston could you picture as Michelangelo, as Ben-Hur, as Moses? Heston's movie career took off with The Greatest Show on Earth (1952) and reached light speed with Ben-Hur (1959). Although he has played a pantheon of larger-than-life roles, he usually prefers to talk about the day-to-day daily grind of the movie business, and especially credits the writers and directors he has worked for much of his success.
- Volunteered his time and effort to the Civil Rights movement in the 1960s, and even marched alongside the Rev. Dr. 'Martin Luther King' (qv) Jr. on a number of occasions, including the 1963 March on Washington. In the original (uncut) version of _King: A Filmed Record... Montgomery to Memphis (1970)_ (qv), he was narrator.
- Was asked by some Democrats to run for the California State Senate in 1969, but declined because he wanted to continue acting.
- Although he had supported Democrat 'Hubert H. Humphrey' (qv) in the 1968 presidential election, in 1972 he openly supported Republican 'Richard Nixon' (qv).
- Prior to starring in _The Omega Man (1971)_ (qv), a remake of 'Vincent Price (I)' (qv)'s film _The Last Man on Earth (1964)_ (qv), Heston and Price appeared together in 'Cecil B. DeMille' (qv)'s _The Ten Commandments (1956)_ (qv).
- Heston is a popular actor in Greece, where his name is written as "Charlton Easton" due to "Heston" having scatological connotations in the Greek language.
- A frail-looking Heston was presented with a Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian award, at the White House by 'George W. Bush' (qv) in July, 2003.
- On 18 June 1968, Heston appeared on _"The Joey Bishop Show" (1967)_ (qv) and, along with 'Gregory Peck' (qv), 'James Stewart (I)' (qv) and 'Kirk Douglas (I)' (qv), called for gun controls following the assassination of Senator 'Robert F. Kennedy' (qv). Ironically, thirty years later, Heston was elected President of the National Rifle Association of America (NRA) and campaigned against gun control.
- He was considered, along with English actor 'Ronnie Barker' (qv), for the role of Claudius in the British series _"I, Claudius" (1976)_ (qv), but the role went to the less famous 'Derek Jacobi' (qv) instead.