Aug. 7th, 1975
Benoni, Gauteng, South Africa
5' 9 1/2
Charlize Theron's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2009 - Astro Boy
2009 - The Road
2008 - The Burning Plain
2008 - Sleepwalking
2008 - Hancock
2007 - In the Valley of Elah
2007 - Battle in Seattle
2005 - Aeon Flux
2005 - North Country
2004 - Head in the Clouds
2004 - The Life and Death of Peter Sellers
2003 - Monster
2003 - The Italian Job
2002 - Waking Up in Reno
2002 - Trapped
2001 - The Curse of the Jade Scorpion
2001 - 15 Minutes
2001 - Sweet November
2000 - The Yards
2000 - Men of Honor
2000 - The Legend of Bagger Vance
2000 - Reindeer Games
1999 - The Astronaut's Wife
1999 - The Cider House Rules
1998 - Mighty Joe Young
1998 - Celebrity
1997 - Trial and Error
1997 - The Devil's Advocate
1996 - 2 Days in the Valley
1996 - That Thing You Do!
1995 - Children of the Corn III: Urban Harvest
Guest TV Roles
Herself - Host
Herself - Guest
Charlize Theron grew up on a farm outside Benoni, South Africa, as the only child. She got an education as a ballet dancer and has danced both the "Swan Lake" and the "Nutcracker Suite". There wasn't much for a young actress or dancer to do in South Africa, so she soon traveled to Europe and United States of America, where she got job at the Joffrey Ballet in New York. She was also able to work as a photo model. However, an injured knee put a halt to her dancing career.
At the age of 18, her mother made her go to Los Angeles to try a career in the movie industry. She came to Los Angeles without knowing anyone in the city but after two weeks when she was standing in line on Hollywood Boulevard an agent gave her his card. After eight months in Los Angeles she got her first part. Since then, she has taken acting lessons and her career has skyrocketed, most lately in The Devil's Advocate (1997).
- (2006) Was the recipient of the German television award "Goldene Kamera" for best international actress and appeared also in the award show. The award is sponsored by the German television program "Hörzu".
- Was listed as a potential nominee on the 2006 Razzie Award nominating ballot. She was listed as a suggestion in the Worst Actress category for her performance in the film _Æon Flux (2005)_ (qv). However, she failed to receive a nomination. (Had she gotten the nomination, she would have been the first person to be nominated for both Leading Actress awards at the Oscars, for _North Country (2005)_ (qv), and the Razzies.)
- Has said her favorite actor is 'Tom Hanks' (qv).
- Dated 'Stephan Jenkins' (qv), lead singer of the band 'Third Eye Blind' (qv), from January 1998 to July 2001.
- After winning her Oscar, she returned to great celebrations in her native South Africa, and she even met former South African President 'Nelson Mandela' (qv). When he praised her for putting their country on the map and gave her a hug, Theron broke into tears (she was guest of honor at the Nelson Mandela Foundation in Johannesburg on March 11th 2004).
- On the show, _"Sunday Morning Shootout" (2003)_ (qv), it was revealed that her manager discovered her in a Hollywood bank after he witnessed her yelling at a bank teller for refusing to cash her check.
- Entertainment Weekly predicted her Oscar win for _Monster (2003)_ (qv) eleven months before she won it.
- Was considered for the role of Vickie Kittrie in _Mercy (2000)_ (qv).