Aug. 14th, 1968
London, England, UK
Catherine Bell's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2007 - Evan Almighty
2003 - Bruce Almighty
1994 - Men of War
Guest TV Roles
Catherine Lisa Bell (born August 14, 1968) is a British-American actress known for her role of Lieutenant Colonel Sarah MacKenzie of the television show JAG from 1997 to 2005. Currently she stars in the Lifetime Television series Army Wives as Denise Sherwood.
Bell was born in London, England, the daughter of Mina, a personal assistant and nurse, and Peter Bell, an architect. Her mother is Iranian and her father Scottish. She moved with her mother to the United States when she was two years old.
She originally wanted to become a doctor and studied biology at UCLA. Explaining her journey to become an actress, she said: "I had a creative side, as well as a scientific/mathematical side and the arts won out. I started doing some modeling and went to Japan and when I came back, I took an acting class, fell in love with that and never went back to school."
One of Bell's first modeling jobs was an extended assignment in Japan. When she returned to California, she studied acting at the Beverly Hills Playhouse with 'Milton Katselas'. She was a freelance masseuse whose clientele included singer 'Peter Gabriel'. As a member of one of the teams of challengers on an edition of the game show To Tell the Truth in 1990, she mentioned that she was a massage therapist. Her first television acting role was one line on the sitcom Sugar and Spice (1990).
In 1996, Bell began her role as Lieutenant Colonel Sarah MacKenzie of the United States Marine Corps Judge Advocate General's Office in the series JAG. She continued in this role until 2005.
Beginning in 2007, Bell starred in Lifetime's ensemble drama series Army Wives as Denise Sherwood, the wife of a U.S. Army lieutenant colonel, who endured domestic violence at the hands of her teenage son during the show's first season.
Bell also recently played the role of Cassandra "Cassie" Nightingale, the main character of Hallmark's The Good Witch (2008), and its sequels The Good Witch's Garden (2009), The Good Witch's Gift (2010),The Good Witch's Family (2011), The Good Witch's Charm (2012), The Good Witch's Destiny (2013) and The Good Witch's Wonder (2014); she was also an executive producer of all of the movies. She also starred in another Hallmark movie titled Last Man Standing.
She is fond of motorcycling, skiing, snowboarding and kick-boxing, which she has been practicing for over 10 years. Her hobbies include cross-stitching and making model cars, which she has done since age 8.
She met actor/production assistant, 'Adam Beason', on the set of Death Becomes Her in 1992 (where she was the body-double for 'Isabella Rossellini'), and they were married (May 8, 1994). They have a daughter, Gemma, (born April 16, 2003), and a son, Ronan, (born August 21, 2010). The couple separated in October 2011 and later divorced.
Bell was the grand marshal of the NASCAR Nextel Cup Series race at Dover International Speedway on June 3, 2007.
During the Hollywood writers strike, Bell took flying lessons in a Cirrus SR22.
She has a recurring role on the new show King & Maxwell (2013) as Joan Dillinger.
- Friends with comic 'Kathy Griffin'.
- Gave birth to a daughter, Gemma on 16 April 2003
- Rides a motorcycle.
- When she was in her 20s, she had thyroid cancer and had to have her thyroid removed. She doesn't cover the scar on her neck because she thinks it's kind of cool.
- Is very physically fit and loves all sports, particularly kick-boxing, skiing, and snowboarding.
- Named #75 on the Maxim magazine "Hot 100 of 2005" list.
- Often plays roles in military movies and TV shows: _"JAG" (1995)_ (qv), _Black Thunder (1998/II)_ (qv), _Crash Dive (1997) (V)_ (qv), _Men of War (1994)_ (qv), and _"Army Wives" (2007)_ (qv).
- Was a contestant on _"Match Game" (1990)_ (qv) and introduced herself as Cathy Bell, a massage therapist. She won $900, but didn't make it to the final Super Match round. Was also a contestant on _"To Tell the Truth" (1990)_ (qv) and introduced herself (an impostor) in the same manner. She and the other two stumped the entire panel for winnings of $3000.