May. 14th, 1969
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5' 8 1/2"
Cate Blanchett's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2010 - Robin Hood
2008 - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
2008 - Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
2007 - Hot Fuzz
2007 - Elizabeth: The Golden Age
2006 - The Good German
2006 - Notes on a Scandal
2006 - Babel
2005 - Little Fish
2004 - Coffee and Cigarettes
2004 - The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou
2004 - The Aviator
2003 - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
2003 - Veronica Guerin
2002 - The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
2001 - Bandits
2001 - The Shipping News
2001 - Charlotte Gray
2001 - The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
2000 - The Gift
2000 - The Man Who Cried
1999 - The Talented Mr. Ripley
1999 - Pushing Tin
1999 - An Ideal Husband
1998 - Elizabeth
1997 - Oscar and Lucinda
Guest TV Roles
Herself - Special Guest Host
Herself - Presenter
Herself - Guest
Cate Blanchett graduated from Australia's National Institute of Dramatic Art in 1992 and, in a little over a year, had won both critical and popular acclaim. On graduating from NIDA, she joined the Sydney Theatre Company's production of Caryl Churchill's "Top Girls", then played Felice Bauer, the bride, in Tim Daly (I)'s "Kafka Dances", winning the 1993 Newcomer Award from the Sydney Theatre Critics Circle for her performance. From there, Blanchett moved to the role of Carol in David Mamet's searing polemic "Oleanna", also for the Sydney Theatre Company, and won the Rosemont Best Actress Award, her second award that year. She then co-starred in the ABC Television's prime time drama "Heartland" (1994), again winning critical acclaim. In 1995, she was nominated for Best Female Performance for her role as Ophelia in the Belvoir Street Theatre Company's production of "Hamlet". Other theatre credits include Helen in the Sydney Theatre Company's "Sweet Phoebe", Miranda in "The Tempest" and Rose in "The Blind Giant is Dancing", both for the Belvoir Street Theatre Company. In other television roles, Blanchett starred as Bianca in ABC's "Bordertown" (1995), as Janie Morris in "G.P." (1989) and in ABC's popular series Police Rescue (1994). She made her feature film debut in Paradise Road (1997), and, in 1998, she played the title character in Elizabeth (1998), winning numerous awards for her performance, including the Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Drama. Cate was also nominated for an Academy Award for the role but lost out to Gwyneth Paltrow. 2001 was a particularly busy year, with starring roles in Bandits (2001), The Shipping News (2001), Charlotte Gray (2001) and playing Elf Queen Galadriel in the "Lord Of The Rings" trilogy.
- Son, Ignatius Martin Upton, was born 13 April 2008 in Sydney, weighing 8 pounds.
- She is one of five actors (and the only female actor) to be nominated for an Oscar twice for playing the same role in two separate films. She played "Queen Elizabeth I" in _Elizabeth (1998)_ (qv) and in _Elizabeth: The Golden Age (2007)_ (qv). The others are 'Bing Crosby' (qv) as "Father Chuck O'Malley" in _Going My Way (1944)_ (qv) and _The Bells of St. Mary's (1945)_ (qv), 'Paul Newman (I)' (qv) as "Fast Eddie Felson" in _The Hustler (1961)_ (qv) and _The Color of Money (1986)_ (qv), 'Peter O'Toole (I)' (qv) as "King Henry II" in _Becket (1964)_ (qv) and _The Lion in Winter (1968)_ (qv) and 'Al Pacino' (qv) as "Michael Corleone" in _The Godfather (1972)_ (qv) and _The Godfather: Part II (1974)_ (qv).
- Was unknowingly pregnant while portraying the pregnant journalist in _The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004)_ (qv).
- In 2007, Forbes Magazine estimated her earnings for the year at $13 million.
- In _The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004)_ (qv), she appears with 'Anjelica Huston' (qv), and in _The Aviator (2004)_ (qv), she works with 'Danny Huston' (qv), the daughter and son, respectively, of director 'John Huston (I)' (qv). In addition to having played 'Katharine Hepburn' (qv), who appeared in _The African Queen (1951)_ (qv), directed by 'John Huston (I)' (qv), she also appeared in a remake of a film that 'John Huston (I)' (qv) appeared in: _The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)_ (qv).
- Is of French descent.
- In _The Aviator (2004)_ (qv), she works opposite 'Leonardo DiCaprio' (qv), who plays 'Howard Hughes (I)' (qv). The year before, she appeared in _The Missing (2003/I)_ (qv) with 'Tommy Lee Jones' (qv). Jones played Hughes years earlier in _The Amazing Howard Hughes (1977) (TV)_ (qv).
- Four of her five Oscar nominations are for playing real people (Queen Elizabeth I, 'Katharine Hepburn' (qv) and 'Bob Dylan' (qv)).