May. 14th, 1969
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5' 8 1/2"
Cate Blanchett's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - The Galapagos Affair: Satan Came to Eden
2014 - How to Train Your Dragon 2
2010 - Robin Hood
2008 - Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
2008 - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
2007 - Elizabeth: The Golden Age
2007 - Hot Fuzz
2006 - Babel
2006 - The Good German
2006 - Notes on a Scandal
2005 - Little Fish
2004 - The Aviator
2004 - The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou
2004 - Coffee and Cigarettes
2003 - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
2003 - Veronica Guerin
2002 - The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
2001 - The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
2001 - Charlotte Gray
2001 - Bandits
2001 - The Shipping News
2000 - The Gift
2000 - The Man Who Cried
1999 - The Talented Mr. Ripley
1999 - Pushing Tin
1999 - An Ideal Husband
1998 - Elizabeth
1997 - Oscar and Lucinda
Guest TV Roles
Herself - Special Guest Host
Herself - Actress (segment "Cate Blanchett")
Herself - Presenter
Herself - Guest
Cate Blanchett graduated from Australia's National Institute of Dramatic Art in 1992 and, in a little over a year, had won both critical and popular acclaim. On graduating from NIDA, she joined the Sydney Theatre Company's production of Caryl Churchill's "Top Girls", then played Felice Bauer, the bride, in Tim Daly (I)'s "Kafka Dances", winning the 1993 Newcomer Award from the Sydney Theatre Critics Circle for her performance. From there, Blanchett moved to the role of Carol in David Mamet's searing polemic "Oleanna", also for the Sydney Theatre Company, and won the Rosemont Best Actress Award, her second award that year. She then co-starred in the ABC Television's prime time drama "Heartland" (1994), again winning critical acclaim. In 1995, she was nominated for Best Female Performance for her role as Ophelia in the Belvoir Street Theatre Company's production of "Hamlet". Other theatre credits include Helen in the Sydney Theatre Company's "Sweet Phoebe", Miranda in "The Tempest" and Rose in "The Blind Giant is Dancing", both for the Belvoir Street Theatre Company. In other television roles, Blanchett starred as Bianca in ABC's "Bordertown" (1995), as Janie Morris in "G.P." (1989) and in ABC's popular series Police Rescue (1994). She made her feature film debut in Paradise Road (1997), and, in 1998, she played the title character in Elizabeth (1998), winning numerous awards for her performance, including the Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Drama. Cate was also nominated for an Academy Award for the role but lost out to Gwyneth Paltrow. 2001 was a particularly busy year, with starring roles in Bandits (2001), The Shipping News (2001), Charlotte Gray (2001) and playing Elf Queen Galadriel in the "Lord Of The Rings" trilogy.
- Was set to play "Portia" in 'Michael Radford' (qv)'s adaptation of 'William Shakespeare (I)' (qv)'s _The Merchant of Venice (2004)_ (qv), thus re-uniting with actor 'Joseph Fiennes' (qv), her co-star from the blockbuster _Elizabeth (1998)_ (qv), but had to drop out after discovering her pregnancy. This also would have reunited her with 'Ian McKellen' (qv), with whom she appeared in "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, who would have played "Shylock". He too ultimately left the project.
- 15th February 2005: Attended the 2005 Elle Style Awards held at London's trendy Spitalfields Market. Posed for photos with fellow Australian 'Kylie Minogue' (qv), who was presented with a Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Was originally going to play the role of Anna in 'Mike Nichols (I)' (qv)'s latest film _Closer (2004/I)_ (qv), but due to her second pregnancy she had to drop out, so it was recast with 'Julia Roberts (I)' (qv) instead.
- (1999) Chosen as one of People Magazine's "50 Most Beautiful."
- Her portrayal of Irina Spalko in _Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008)_ (qv) is director 'Steven Spielberg' (qv)'s favorite villain in the Indiana Jones series.
- Was considered for the role of Jane Smith in _Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005)_ (qv).
- After completing work on the Lord of the Rings trilogy in the role of Galadriel, she kept and bronzed her elf ear prosthetics.
- In 2007, Forbes Magazine estimated her earnings for the year at $13 million.