May. 14th, 1969
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5' 8 1/2"
Cate Blanchett's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Cate Blanchett graduated from Australia's National Institute of Dramatic Art in 1992 and, in a little over a year, had won both critical and popular acclaim. On graduating from NIDA, she joined the Sydney Theatre Company's production of Caryl Churchill's "Top Girls", then played Felice Bauer, the bride, in Tim Daly (I)'s "Kafka Dances", winning the 1993 Newcomer Award from the Sydney Theatre Critics Circle for her performance. From there, Blanchett moved to the role of Carol in David Mamet's searing polemic "Oleanna", also for the Sydney Theatre Company, and won the Rosemont Best Actress Award, her second award that year. She then co-starred in the ABC Television's prime time drama "Heartland" (1994), again winning critical acclaim. In 1995, she was nominated for Best Female Performance for her role as Ophelia in the Belvoir Street Theatre Company's production of "Hamlet". Other theatre credits include Helen in the Sydney Theatre Company's "Sweet Phoebe", Miranda in "The Tempest" and Rose in "The Blind Giant is Dancing", both for the Belvoir Street Theatre Company. In other television roles, Blanchett starred as Bianca in ABC's "Bordertown" (1995), as Janie Morris in "G.P." (1989) and in ABC's popular series Police Rescue (1994). She made her feature film debut in Paradise Road (1997), and, in 1998, she played the title character in Elizabeth (1998), winning numerous awards for her performance, including the Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Drama. Cate was also nominated for an Academy Award for the role but lost out to Gwyneth Paltrow. 2001 was a particularly busy year, with starring roles in Bandits (2001), The Shipping News (2001), Charlotte Gray (2001) and playing Elf Queen Galadriel in the "Lord Of The Rings" trilogy.
- In 2007, Forbes Magazine estimated her earnings for the year at $13 million.
- By winning the Oscar for her portrayal of 'Katharine Hepburn' (qv), she became the first person to give an Oscar-winning portrayal of a previous Oscar winner.
- She was awarded the Australian Centenary Medal in the 2001 Queen's New Years Honours List for her services to acting and Australian society.
- Was unknowingly pregnant while portraying the pregnant journalist in _The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004)_ (qv).
- In _Bandits (2001)_ (qv), she works with 'Troy Garity' (qv). In _The Aviator (2004)_ (qv), she plays 'Katharine Hepburn' (qv), who appeared with Garity's mother, 'Jane Fonda' (qv) and grandfather, 'Henry Fonda' (qv), in _On Golden Pond (1981)_ (qv).
- Her father, (Robert Blanchett) a Texan ad executive, died of a heart attack when she was ten years old.
- Her portrayal of Irina Spalko in _Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008)_ (qv) is director 'Steven Spielberg' (qv)'s favorite villain in the Indiana Jones series.
- Lives in Hunters Hill, Sydney Australia.