May. 14th, 1969
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5' 8 1/2"
Cate Blanchett's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Cate Blanchett graduated from Australia's National Institute of Dramatic Art in 1992 and, in a little over a year, had won both critical and popular acclaim. On graduating from NIDA, she joined the Sydney Theatre Company's production of Caryl Churchill's "Top Girls", then played Felice Bauer, the bride, in Tim Daly (I)'s "Kafka Dances", winning the 1993 Newcomer Award from the Sydney Theatre Critics Circle for her performance. From there, Blanchett moved to the role of Carol in David Mamet's searing polemic "Oleanna", also for the Sydney Theatre Company, and won the Rosemont Best Actress Award, her second award that year. She then co-starred in the ABC Television's prime time drama "Heartland" (1994), again winning critical acclaim. In 1995, she was nominated for Best Female Performance for her role as Ophelia in the Belvoir Street Theatre Company's production of "Hamlet". Other theatre credits include Helen in the Sydney Theatre Company's "Sweet Phoebe", Miranda in "The Tempest" and Rose in "The Blind Giant is Dancing", both for the Belvoir Street Theatre Company. In other television roles, Blanchett starred as Bianca in ABC's "Bordertown" (1995), as Janie Morris in "G.P." (1989) and in ABC's popular series Police Rescue (1994). She made her feature film debut in Paradise Road (1997), and, in 1998, she played the title character in Elizabeth (1998), winning numerous awards for her performance, including the Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Drama. Cate was also nominated for an Academy Award for the role but lost out to Gwyneth Paltrow. 2001 was a particularly busy year, with starring roles in Bandits (2001), The Shipping News (2001), Charlotte Gray (2001) and playing Elf Queen Galadriel in the "Lord Of The Rings" trilogy.
- Appeared next to 'Hugo Weaving' (qv) in 9 different projects: _"Bordertown" (1995)_ (qv), _"Drama School" (2000)_ (qv), _Little Fish (2005)_ (qv), _The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)_ (qv), _The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)_ (qv), _The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age (2004) (VG)_ (qv), _The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)_ (qv), _The Making of 'The Lord of the Rings' (2002) (V)_ (qv), _Quest for the Ring (2001) (TV)_ (qv).
- In 2007, Forbes Magazine estimated her earnings for the year at $13 million.
- Was unknowingly pregnant while portraying the pregnant journalist in _The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004)_ (qv).
- Has an older brother named Bob who works in the computer field, and a younger sister, Genevieve who is a theater designer.
- Good friends with actress 'Nicole Kidman' (qv).
- Won the Rosemont Best Actress Award for her performance in "Oleanna".
- (February 2008) Has been in 6 movies where the title contains the name of the character she plays: _Veronica Guerin (2003)_ (qv), _Charlotte Gray (2001)_ (qv), _Elizabeth (1998)_ (qv), _Thank God He Met Lizzie (1997)_ (qv), _Oscar and Lucinda (1997)_ (qv) and _Elizabeth: The Golden Age (2007)_ (qv).
- Children: Dashiell John, born on December 3, 2001 in London, England; Roman Robert, born on April 23, 2004