Oct. 21st, 1956
Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, California, USA
Guest TV Roles
Herself - Judge
Herself - Guest
Carrie Frances Fisher (born October 21, 1956) is an American actress, novelist, screenwriter, and performance artist. She is best known for her portrayal of Princess Leia Organa in the original Star Wars trilogy. She is also known for her bestselling novel Postcards from the Edge and screenplay for a film of the same name, as well as her autobiographical one-woman play and the non-fiction book Wishful Drinking she based it on.
Born in Beverly Hills, California, the daughter of singer Eddie Fisher and actress 'Debbie Reynolds'. Her father was Jewish, the son of immigrants from Russia, and her mother was raised a Nazarene, and is of Scots-Irish and English ancestry. Her younger brother is producer and actor Todd Fisher, and her half-sisters are actresses Joely Fisher and Tricia Leigh Fisher, whose mother is the singer and actress Connie Stevens.
When Fisher was two, her parents divorced after her father left Reynolds for her best friend, actress Elizabeth Taylor, the widow of her father's best friend Mike Todd. The following year, her mother married shoe store chain owner Harry Karl, who secretly spent Reynolds's life savings. She attended Beverly Hills High School, but she left to join her mother on the road. She appeared as a debutante and singer in the hit Broadway revival Irene (1973), which starred her mother.
- Turned down the role of Kathryn Murphy in _The Accused (1988)_ (qv). 'Kelly McGillis' (qv) was eventually cast as Kathryn.
- Has a daughter Billie Catherine (with 'Bryan Lourd' (qv)) born in 1992.
- Former stepdaughter of 'Connie Stevens' (qv) and 'Elizabeth Taylor (I)' (qv).
- Sister of 'Todd Fisher (I)' (qv).
- Friends with 'Meryl Streep' (qv). Streep portrayed Fisher in _Postcards from the Edge (1990)_ (qv).
- Along with her writing career, she also became a successful re-writer of movie scripts, saving many troubled productions.
- Revealed in her memoir "Wishful Drinking" that she once had a romantic relationship with U.S. Senator 'Christopher Dodd (I)' (qv) (D-Connecticut). When Dodd was once asked to comment in 2007 (for The Kansas City Star), he told a reporter, "it was a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away".
- (October 1998) Checked into substance-abuse program, addiction to prescription drugs.