Aug. 29th, 1971
Sarasota, Florida, USA
Carla Gugino's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Carla Gugino (born August 29, 1971) is an American actress.
Born in Sarasota, Florida, to Carl Gugino, an orthodontist of Italian descent, and a mother of English-Irish descent described as "Bohemian". Her parents separated when she was two, after which she traveled between her father and half-brother Carl Jr.'s home in Sarasota, and her Paradise, California home, to which her mother moved her when she was four. She has described her bicoastal childhood, saying, "I lived in a tepee in Northern California and a van in Big Sur. With my dad, I lived in a beautiful house with a swimming pool and a tennis court and went to Europe for the summers. So I feel like I lived two childhoods." She worked as a teenage fashion model, and took acting classes at the suggestion of her aunt, former Let's Make a Deal spokesmodel Carol Merrill. She eventually came to support herself, and with her parents' support, was legally emancipated by the time she was 16.
But she remained a straight-A student throughout high school and graduated as Valedictorian.
She is well known for her roles of Ingrid Cortez in the Spy Kids film trilogy, Dr. Vera Gorski in Sucker Punch, Lucille in Sin City, Amanda Daniels in seasons 3, 5 and 7 of Entourage, Sally Jupiter in Watchmen and as the lead characters of the television series Karen Sisco and Threshold. Her feature film work includes starring roles in Son in Law, Night at the Museum, Race to Witch Mountain, American Gangster and Mr. Popper's Penguins. Gugino has a lead role in the 2012 mini-series, Political Animals.
Gugino's television work during the late 1980s and early 1990s included appearances on Saved by the Bell, Who's the Boss?, ALF, Doogie Howser, M.D., The Wonder Years and a recurring role on Falcon Crest.
In film, Gugino appeared the 'Shelley Long' film, Troop Beverly Hills and co-starred with 'Pauly Shore' in the 1993 romantic comedy Son in Law. She later appeared in the video to Bon Jovi's 1994 song "Always".
After playing Michael J. Fox's love interest, Ashley Schaeffer, during the first season of the sitcom Spin City in 1996, Gugino starred with 'Nicolas Cage' in Brian De Palma's Snake Eyes, and in Judas Kiss, which she also co-produced. She appeared as Dr. Gina Simon during the 1999–2000 final season of Chicago Hope.
During her free time, Gugino enjoys yoga, traveling and spending time with her friends in Los Angeles.
As of 2011, Gugino was dating her collaborator, writer/producer/director Sebastian Gutierrez. She stated in 2009 that they had no plans to marry, commenting, "Marriage isn't important for us. We like being boyfriend and girlfriend; there's something sexy and fun about that. We're very much about, 'There’s nothing holding us here other than our desire to be together.'"
- Has a butterfly tattoo on the inside of her left ankle.
- Boyfriend is writer/director 'Sebastian Gutierrez' (qv), with whom she has worked on her show Karen Sisco and Rise.
- Is only seven years older than 'Malin Akerman' (qv) who played her daughter in _Watchmen (2009)_ (qv).
- Is of Italian, Irish, and English descent.
- Had a kidney operation when she was only 4 years old.
- She turned down the role of 'Vin Diesel' (qv)'s love interest in the box-office hit _The Pacifier (2005)_ (qv) to take a small but unforgettably sexy role in _Sin City (2005)_ (qv) because she had enjoyed working with director 'Robert Rodriguez (I)' (qv) in the three "Spy Kids" films.
- Was her high school's valedictorian.
- Niece of actress 'Carol Merrill' (qv).